Author Topic: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread  (Read 159499 times)

Re: 2017 Free Agency Rumors/Signings Thread
« Reply #555 on: July 14, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
So, somewhere in the 36 pages of this thread, this may have been mentioned already, but Festus Ezeli was waived on 6/30 by Portland.  Do to his injury history, bet we might be able to get him on the cheap.  Thoughts?

I've never understood the fascination with this dude.  If we wanted a big guy who offers almost nothing aside from blocking shots we should have signed Amida Brimeh and been done with it.

You should look at him a little closer.  He's a guy who has averaged 14.6/9.9 during his career, only averaging 28.8 mpg.  During his high of 34.2 mpg, he was a 19.3/10.9 guy.  BTW, nothing aside from blocks?  He averages .9 per game.

This guy can play and is only 26.

You're referring to Nikola Vucevic, not Ezeli.

« Reply #556 on: July 14, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So, somewhere in the 36 pages of this thread, this may have been mentioned already, but Festus Ezeli was waived on 6/30 by Portland.  Do to his injury history, bet we might be able to get him on the cheap.  Thoughts?

I've never understood the fascination with this dude.  If we wanted a big guy who offers almost nothing aside from blocking shots we should have signed Amida Brimeh and been done with it.

You should look at him a little closer.  He's a guy who has averaged 14.6/9.9 during his career, only averaging 28.8 mpg.  During his high of 34.2 mpg, he was a 19.3/10.9 guy.  BTW, nothing aside from blocks?  He averages .9 per game.

This guy can play and is only 26.

You're referring to Nikola Vucevic, not Ezeli.
Getting Nikola Vucevic for the minimum would be something, though :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #557 on: July 14, 2017, 06:39:58 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
League sources tell @ExpressNews news Simmons' with #Magic deal is 3-year deal $20 million all guaranteed. #Spurs

https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/885958178894209024

Because what Orlando really needed is another poor shooter....

« Reply #558 on: July 15, 2017, 11:45:17 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Free agent Rajon Rondo has reached agreement on a one-year deal with the New Orleans Pelicans, league sources tell The Vertical.

« Reply #559 on: July 15, 2017, 11:47:07 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Free agent Rajon Rondo has reached agreement on a one-year deal with the New Orleans Pelicans, league sources tell The Vertical.

TP. Will be interesting to see how the Twin Towers of the Pelicans function together.

Rondo is certainly someone they need (guy who can pass the ball to them well lol).

As long as they keep their attitudes in check for the most part, Pels could be a 6-8 seed at best (West just got too stacked now).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #560 on: July 15, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

He might make the twin towers thing work.

Holiday to SG?

« Reply #561 on: July 15, 2017, 12:20:22 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
League sources tell @ExpressNews news Simmons' with #Magic deal is 3-year deal $20 million all guaranteed. #Spurs

https://twitter.com/JabariJYoung/status/885958178894209024

Because what Orlando really needed is another poor shooter....

A single tear came to Vogel's eye when he saw Jon Simmons went unrestricted.

"He's perfect"

« Reply #562 on: July 15, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

TP. Will be interesting to see how the Twin Towers of the Pelicans function together.

Rondo is certainly someone they need (guy who can pass the ball to them well lol).

As long as they keep their attitudes in check for the most part, Pels could be a 6-8 seed at best (West just got too stacked now).

Hoping it works out. Always going to root for Rondo and the NBA is a better league if that Pelicans team is competitive.

That being said if they flop and are forced to move on from Anthony Davis for a boatload of picks and young assets that would be just fine too.

« Reply #563 on: July 15, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

He might make the twin towers thing work.

Holiday to SG?
Not just any twin towers.  The best center and best PF in the game.  I'm confident Rondo could make it work but have doubts about Gentry doing so.   

« Reply #564 on: July 15, 2017, 01:10:19 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Hoping it works out. Always going to root for Rondo and the NBA is a better league if that Pelicans team is competitive.

That being said if they flop and are forced to move on from Anthony Davis for a boatload of picks and young assets that would be just fine too.

I agree. I was excited to see Rondo come back to life in the playoffs, and was even more excited to see that he couldn't single handedly beat the Celtics for the rest of the series!

I understand that people didn't like Rondo's personality (and some antics like the SAC game), but I was and still am a big fan. He is a game changer- no doubt about it. He has the ability to take over in the playoffs, which is a unique characteristic. He seems to come up big when it matters the most. I think/hope Marcus Smart has this trait.

I hope this experiment works out. New Orleans could use some winning- not sure the Saints are going to deliver.

« Reply #565 on: July 15, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Glad to see Rondo in New Orleans and NOT in LA on Lakers.

« Reply #566 on: July 16, 2017, 06:13:27 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #567 on: July 16, 2017, 06:29:32 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #568 on: July 16, 2017, 06:43:26 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

https://www.blazersedge.com/platform/amp/2017/7/15/15977406/blazers-trade-rumor-carmelo-anthony-wojnarowski

Makes sense for the Blazers.  They have all sorts of contracts they'd love to move, and could use a quantity for quality trade.  Melo for Harkless, Leonard, Aminu, and Vonleh.  Helps fill out the Knicks roster for the next two seasons they were going to be stuck with an unhappy but largely untradable Carmelo taking an equivalent amount of salary.  The Knicks can't be quite bad enough to tank, and have too much salary committed over the next three seasons to do it properly anyway, so they might as well get some rotation players and see if they can't steal a playoff berth in an East with few teams trying to compete.

If Melo would be willing to go to Portland, it could actually be the type of trade to help both teams.

« Reply #569 on: July 16, 2017, 08:10:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Why would Melo want to go to Portland?