Author Topic: Does George make us the team to beat and is it worth giving up the lakers pick?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline celticpride1

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
After working all day reading about George and Hayward coming. What we have to give up and everything. Is he worth it and giving up that laker pick? That laker pick and Brooklyn pick could come one 2 and we could be set up even better for the future. Porter and a big. I go back and forth with it I wouldn't include that pick in the George deal.

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
I do it.  If we truly preferred Tatum to fultz that lakers pick is like house money and the perfect asset to take a swim for the fences with.

How many NBA players have left championship level teams in their prime with multiple other all stars for a worse team? I don't know the answer but I would bet the answer is not many.  Lakers have a long way to go to have max cap space for two stars.  And let's say they clear it is paul george lonzo ball Brandon Ingram Julius randle a better supporting cast than what lebron has now? Or could have on another team? Absolutely not.  So I really don't see lebron going to the west to join a worse team.  Without lebron there, is george going to leave us for lonzo ball Brandon Ingram and maybe a second tier star if they can convince someone besides lebron? He'd be leaving arguably a team with a better bench than his new teams starting five.

I say swing for the fences as long as we don't have to give up Brooklyn Jaylen or Tatum.  Will hate to see Bradley or smart go (and to a lesser degree Jae) but having a team of 4 27-30 year old all stars with 3 potential future all stars (jaylen, Tatum Brooklyn) and a potential future sixth man of year candidate all under 22 we would be set for a decade plus. Go for it.

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The answer is an easy yes to trading for George.  Odds are that both of those picks put together will not be as good as George.  If we're talking about just one of them then it's a slam dunk.

As for winning a title, the most one can ask for is to be in the discussion.  This stuff about waving are hands in the air because of the Warriors is bologna.  How about we grow a pair and go get it.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Make us team to beat? Nope.
Worth giving up the Lakers pick? Yes. Not even close.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
After working all day reading about George and Hayward coming. What we have to give up and everything. Is he worth it and giving up that laker pick? That laker pick and Brooklyn pick could come one 2 and we could be set up even better for the future. Porter and a big. I go back and forth with it I wouldn't include that pick in the George deal.

Yes, it's worth it.  It's unlikely that the LAL/SAC pick turns into a player as good as Paul George.  And it's easily the least valuable of our four best future assets.  If I can keep Brown, Tatum, and BKN 18 while giving up that crapshoot pick to get a current superstar, I'm in.

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Only way id feel comfortable with trading the pick for George is if he agrees to an extension. If he dont, then let him go to LA cause im sure Porter Jr. Or Bamba will oneday surpass PG13. Just cause he's legit now dont make him worth top picks of the future, especially with the Cavs n Warriors in current beastmode.

We r not getting Paul George, he's  not worth the flight risk

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
A team of PG. Hayward. IT alone will be offensively difficult to stop even for Lebron. Look at how Lequeen was scrambbling on defense trying to cover 4 players against the Warriors.

This league has shifted towards offense and decent defense. Lebron is also getting older. PG IT anf Hayward are all just entered their prime add Horford who is still in his and the dev of Jaylrn and Tatum makes it a decent bench...not great depth but as long as the core are healthy they could all play interchangeably with the bench so we dont go on offensive droughts that has haunted this team whenever IT sits.

Yes im all for it and there is no way this team is not challenging the Warriors. If DA pulls it through expect the league to feature the Cs and Warriors on Christmas day.

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Yes, it's worth it.  It's unlikely that the LAL/SAC pick turns into a player as good as Paul George.  And it's easily the least valuable of our four best future assets.  If I can keep Brown, Tatum, and BKN 18 while giving up that crapshoot pick to get a current superstar, I'm in.

Getting PG+Hayward without losing Brown, Tatum, BKN 18 is really really good for me. We can contend now without sacrificing our future. I like it.

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Is it possible to give up the Lakers pick without giving up with Sacramento back up pick?

That Marvin Bagley kid looks INSANE.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
AB and JC plus one of Mem or LAC picks is plenty for a "one year rental".  Pacers will not get a better offer.  It will be so awesome to have two picks in the top five next year.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Only if it is a sure thing he will stay long term.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
George alone puts us in the convo. If we get Hayward too, yes, I would say we are the team to beat in the East. Probably even odds against GSW.

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125

Bingo

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Ainge has covered himself by drafting Tatum. If he doesn't give up Nets or Lakers pick and lands PG even for one year...he's good.

Let's look at what could happen. Let's say we get PG and Hayward.

In the lottery, we end up with the 2nd pick (Nets) and the 5th pick (Lakers)

Make it to the playoffs as #1 East seed, beat the Cavs in ECF.

Lose to Warriors in Finals.

PG contemplates leaving for Lakers (why he would do that would be nuts after just going to Finals)

Ainge says wait, we have the 2nd & 5th pick...what can I do to get you to stay. PG says get AD.

Ainge trades IT in a sign and trade for AD along with the 2nd pick and 5th pick.

or PG stays and the Celtics keep the both picks and trades IT.

Ainge is siting pretty and he knows it. A rental is worth the risk in every way possible.

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
How did it work with Kevin Garnett?  Did he re-sign with the TWolves first (with an agreement that he would be traded to us) or did we do the trade first?