Author Topic: Woj: In Pursuit Of Cap Space, Olynyk Likely To Become UFA  (Read 10264 times)

Re: Woj: In Pursuit Of Cap Space, Olynyk Likely To Become UFA
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2017, 06:50:18 AM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Don't believe it for a second.  Nothing the C's have done in regards to K.O. is suggestive that he is not going to be retained and you should not be letting bigs with his skill set walk with the direction the NBA is undertaking right now.  It would surprise me a ton if he is not re-signed.

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 07:16:13 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
KO is gone, as is Zeller, Green, and others.
Crowder and AB will be traded.
This is all fine.
I agree...give me 2 all-stars in George and Hayward instead of those guys, its a no brainer
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2017, 07:41:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nothing the C's have done in regards to K.O. is suggestive that he is not going to be retained and you should not be letting bigs with his skill set walk with the direction the NBA is undertaking right now

Nothing, they have done has indicated they will keep him either.  I think someone is out of touch with reality...

Really, you would rather have KO than Hayward because his salary is need to sign Gordon.   KO has some skills for sure but he only shows up to play half of the games.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/2489663/kelly-olynyk

Look at these game logs.   You will see bad games galore, some really good games but there is too much inconsistency for my taste.

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2017, 08:10:01 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
KO is literally my favorite Celtic player (in the same way inexplicable way that Danny Ainge was once my favorite player), so I will miss him more than most.

I think much of his oft-criticized inconsistency was a result of inconsistent playing time -- Brad Stevens, as good as he is in most respects, yanked Kelly's minutes around like no one else on the team. Would have loved to have seen what would have happened if he ever got to play 30 minutes a game for a whole month.

Seems like the only chance he will stay is if the Celtics strike out in free agency. I understand that he has to go to bring in a superior player in Hayward/Griffin, but doesn't mean I won't shed a tear.

And the fact that the whole world considers him a dirty player is the most absurd thing I've ever seen (outside of politics).

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2017, 08:58:23 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Tomorrow night is the deadline for the QO.

Mindblowing to think we might not even offer 4.1 to KO..

I would be quite surprised if a QO wasn't extended.  It's not even $4.2 million.  There's no way Olynyk picks it up unless he's being spiteful for some reason.  He's going to get at least triple that if he waits a few days into free agency.

But wouldn't that hold up any signings/trades until he signs with a new team?

If all else fails in FA, we would just have to outbid everyone. Doesn't seem like a huge deal if they don't make the QO. Doesn't mean they are closing the door on him.

No, the qualifying offer can be rescinded and his cap hold renounced into the middle of July, as long as he doesn't accept it before then.  The only risk is that you make KO the qualifying offer, and that he loves Boston so much that he accepts it on July 1st at 12:01 am, before you learn that Hayward is coming to Boston.  And even then you can fix the problem, because his QO is cheap, and his cap hit would actually drop by $3.6 million.

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2017, 09:04:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I would be quite surprised if a QO wasn't extended.  It's not even $4.2 million.  There's no way Olynyk picks it up unless he's being spiteful for some reason.  He's going to get at least triple that if he waits a few days into free agency.

If the QO is offered, can he be traded after July 1 but before the "match" deadline date, to Indiana?

And if so, does Indiana get the normal right to match if KO is offered a big deal by someone else?

Salt!

The qualifying offer is just an offer, it's not a contract.  After it is made, the following things can happen:

1) He can accept the offer (1 year, $4.1 million).  If he signed, he could not be traded until January 15th, and only with his permission.
2) He and the Celtics can work out a new long-term deal.  He could not be traded until January 15th.
3) He could sign an offer sheet with another team, which the Celtics could choose to match or not.  If they match, he cannot be traded for a year.
4) The Celtics can rescind the offer.
5) The Celtics can work out a sign-and-trade with another team using his Bird rights.
6) The Celtics can both rescind his offer and renounce his Bird rights, meaning he's completely off the books, but could not utilize a sign-and-trade, and in order to bring him back the Celtics would need cap room or a cap exception.  (This is incredibly unlikely, but within the rules.)

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2017, 09:14:53 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
https://mobile.twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/879839429556416513?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Well, if this is it, I'm glad he went out with a BANG.

That Game 7 vs Washington was amazing, and without it, we don't advance to the ECF. At least when we grow up, we can tell our kids or the young ones around us the story of how "Knockout Olynyk" beat Washington in a Game 7.

Sad it didn't work out for "Dirk 2.0" in Boston, but honestly can't say I'll be too upset to see him leave either. For one, I think a team will overpay a bit for him. Two, as Woj says, it HAS to be done to sign a max player and/or trade for one (Hayward OR Hayward+George).

Poor Tony Massarotti is sad now though...

https://mobile.twitter.com/TonyMassarotti/status/879839777008345093?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

:laugh:

Dirk 2.0?

Funny, I never thought of him in that way, I thought him as a Montross 2.0 with range.  I hated the pick at the time and still do.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Olynyk would be one of the best players on the nets. I could see it happening. Our pick next year could be negatively affected they will win more games. Maybe not tho olynyk has his disappearing acts

If Olynyk and Russell are the best players on the Nets, I'm feeling pretty good about that draft pick.

Mike

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2017, 09:54:56 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

I don't know if they can afford to. It might blow up in their faces negotiating for Hayward and George. They have to unload a lot of players to make this happen. Including breaking that Zeller umbilical cord.

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 10:04:50 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I don't know if they can afford to. It might blow up in their faces negotiating for Hayward and George. They have to unload a lot of players to make this happen. Including breaking that Zeller umbilical cord.
How? Can't you renounce it at any time?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2017, 10:27:27 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

If the QO is offered, can he be traded after July 1 but before the "match" deadline date, to Indiana?

And if so, does Indiana get the normal right to match if KO is offered a big deal by someone else?

Salt!

The qualifying offer is just an offer, it's not a contract.  After it is made, the following things can happen:

1) He can accept the offer (1 year, $4.1 million).  If he signed, he could not be traded until January 15th, and only with his permission.
2) He and the Celtics can work out a new long-term deal.  He could not be traded until January 15th.
3) He could sign an offer sheet with another team, which the Celtics could choose to match or not.  If they match, he cannot be traded for a year.
5) The Celtics can work out a sign-and-trade with another team using his Bird rights.
6) The Celtics can both rescind his offer and renounce his Bird rights, meaning he's completely off the books, but could not utilize a sign-and-trade, and in order to bring him back the Celtics would need cap room or a cap exception.  (This is incredibly unlikely, but within the rules.)

Awesome... So what is the last date by which he can sign another offer sheet? As in, when does his "restricted" free agency end?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2017, 11:12:10 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Salt!

Awesome... So what is the last date by which he can sign another offer sheet? As in, when does his "restricted" free agency end?

If the Celtics never rescind his qualifying offer, he'd be a restricted free agent until he either signed his QO, signed a contract with the Celtics, or signed an offer elsewhere.  He could sit out all year and still be an RFA next year.

There is a deadline for when the Celtics can no longer rescind the QO -- it changed in the new CBA, and I don't remember it off the top of my head, but it's sometime in the middle of July.

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2017, 12:33:09 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Don't believe it for a second.  Nothing the C's have done in regards to K.O. is suggestive that he is not going to be retained and you should not be letting bigs with his skill set walk with the direction the NBA is undertaking right now.  It would surprise me a ton if he is not re-signed.

I would be surprised, too, especially given the shortage of quality bigs under contract. As long as the price is right, it's a no-brainer.

You mention the direction the NBA is taking - that's amplified in the case of the Celtics, who rely so heavily on running offense through the bigs. With Kelly, there's no dropoff when Horford comes out.

His addition of all those nifty moves around the basket this past season (and shot .753 at the rim, which is huge!), and that he significantly upped his game on the defensive glass (led the team in %) demonstrates his willingness to expand his game going forward.  His alleged "inconsistency" is based on things that the team is not asking him to do.

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Nothing the C's have done in regards to K.O. is suggestive that he is not going to be retained and you should not be letting bigs with his skill set walk with the direction the NBA is undertaking right now

Nothing, they have done has indicated they will keep him either.  I think someone is out of touch with reality...

Really, you would rather have KO than Hayward because his salary is need to sign Gordon.   KO has some skills for sure but he only shows up to play half of the games.

Look at these game logs.   You will see bad games galore, some really good games but there is too much inconsistency for my taste.

Somehow I think the franchise will survive if the Earl of Pillow-Softness passes from the scene.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Celtics 18:
Kelly Olynyk is a seriously elite basketball talent.
I assume this was sarcasm.

This.  I started a thread about 6 months ago called something like KO contract watch.  This has been a long time in coming and is no surprise.

As to his inconsistency being a result of inconsistent PT, I think that is BS.  I've seen too many KO turnovers to believe that.  An NBA pro should do better than let balls go through his hands or throw passes into the stands. 

No tears here...