Author Topic: Would the George/Hayward Celtics have a chance against the Dubs?  (Read 6675 times)

Re: Would the George/Hayward Celtics have a chance against the Dubs?
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2017, 09:21:44 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
They would have a small chance. But it come down to health. If Boston was health and the Dubs had some problems that would give us a much better shot. Still, I'd like to take a chance at it and keep that team together for a few years for a run at it.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2017, 09:30:36 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Need a little better shooting at the 2 unless Jaylen makes the leap next season or Rozier (if he's still here) can give them some consistent offense but they'd have a chance.

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2017, 09:43:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
with a perfectly 100 %healthy  team .....good as Lebron will have this year.

not in a post season deal where everybody is walking wounded.

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 09:46:06 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I think it would be a coin flip.

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 09:51:19 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Sure they have a shot. They had the best record in the East with nothing up front except Horford. Got beat up front vs the Cavs. With a couple of studs they should beat the Cavs.
Much higher octane team with George and Hayward. A team Wyc will overpay for--at least next year. Let's see if they can beat GS.

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2017, 09:52:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
They'd have a shot.
but who knows?
depends on chemistry and health.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2017, 09:55:54 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Guys, I'd like to have a team like this, because it would provide a winning environment to the future stars (Tatum and Brown, I hope!). However, there is no way the Cs would be even close to favorites. Except for maybe Al x Zaza, the GS has better match ups at every position. Team basketball is the strongest part of Brad as a coach, but Kerr and his assistant have been able to do the same for many years already!

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2017, 10:09:36 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We 'd be hoping someone from their big 4 gets injured while we face no major injury concerns and we are at the top of our form. Even then, the Warriors may still be the favorites to win the series. I mean, they broke the Bulls' record for most wins in the regular season without KD!! Let's face it, it's highly likely that the Warriors are the best team in NBA history.

Yeah, getting George (am already assuming Hayward) gets us to a point where we only need to hope for an injury on the Warriors, rather than the Cavs and Warriors.
Not sure that would be enough though. Even if they lose KD (arguably their best player) I believe they will still be the better team.

If the Warriors lost Durant along with Iggy, I think our projected lineup would kill them.
Would kill them?? We are talking about (pretty much) the same group of players that won 73 regular season games in 2015-2016. Steph is arguably the best shooter of all time in an era when most teams shoot tons of 3s every single night. Klay is top 5 shooter of all time (maybe even better than that). Green just won DPY. These 3 guys have built and maintained an almost perfect team chemistry. We can't beat them just by adding star power. We have to focus on team chemistry as well. We need to find the right players that complement each other. That's not an easy thing to do.

I don't believe Hayward and PG are perfect fits next to IT and Horford. For instance, IT is one of the worst defenders in the league. In order for us to hide him on D, the other 4 guys next to him have to be able to minimize his weaknesses. Hayward and Horford are average defenders (above average at the very best).

Not to mention we would be starting Brown (obviously a great defender) who is just 20 years old.

They'd be down Iggy, Harrison Barnes, Speights, Barbosa and Bogut from that team. Without Durant, a big three of Curry / Thompson / Green isn't that remarkable. The Dubs can win with great depth, or four elite players and solid depth. They wouldn't win with neither.
Iggy was a shell of himself during the 2015-2016 regular season (obviously he won Finals MVP that year). As for Barbosa and Speights, I bet the Warriors can sign better ring-chasing vets (for instance Zaza, West).

Anyway, personally speaking I don't think we would/will beat them by adding Hayward-PG.

-Defense won't be good enough
-Bradley is our best on-ball defender. No Bradley means Steph will most likely kill us
-Whomever IT defends will kill us as well
-Rebounding will be abysmal
-JB will be a starter at 20 years of age

I could go on and on...

The way I see it, the Warriors are a dynasty in the making. No one can beat them (just like no one could beat the Bulls in the 90's). I 'd love to be wrong though. Hopefully the C's manage to win at least one championship in the next few years.

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2017, 10:19:23 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
What many are not factoring in is the likely FACT that solid vets will be willing to join this team to chase a ring for the vet minimum!!:-)))

Smitty77

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2017, 10:32:12 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
We 'd be hoping someone from their big 4 gets injured while we face no major injury concerns and we are at the top of our form. Even then, the Warriors may still be the favorites to win the series. I mean, they broke the Bulls' record for most wins in the regular season without KD!! Let's face it, it's highly likely that the Warriors are the best team in NBA history.

Yeah, getting George (am already assuming Hayward) gets us to a point where we only need to hope for an injury on the Warriors, rather than the Cavs and Warriors.
Not sure that would be enough though. Even if they lose KD (arguably their best player) I believe they will still be the better team.

If the Warriors lost Durant along with Iggy, I think our projected lineup would kill them.
Would kill them?? We are talking about (pretty much) the same group of players that won 73 regular season games in 2015-2016. Steph is arguably the best shooter of all time in an era when most teams shoot tons of 3s every single night. Klay is top 5 shooter of all time (maybe even better than that). Green just won DPY. These 3 guys have built and maintained an almost perfect team chemistry. We can't beat them just by adding star power. We have to focus on team chemistry as well. We need to find the right players that complement each other. That's not an easy thing to do.

I don't believe Hayward and PG are perfect fits next to IT and Horford. For instance, IT is one of the worst defenders in the league. In order for us to hide him on D, the other 4 guys next to him have to be able to minimize his weaknesses. Hayward and Horford are average defenders (above average at the very best).

Not to mention we would be starting Brown (obviously a great defender) who is just 20 years old.

They'd be down Iggy, Harrison Barnes, Speights, Barbosa and Bogut from that team. Without Durant, a big three of Curry / Thompson / Green isn't that remarkable. The Dubs can win with great depth, or four elite players and solid depth. They wouldn't win with neither.
Iggy was a shell of himself during the 2015-2016 regular season (obviously he won Finals MVP that year). As for Barbosa and Speights, I bet the Warriors can sign better ring-chasing vets (for instance Zaza, West).

Anyway, personally speaking I don't think we would/will beat them by adding Hayward-PG.

-Defense won't be good enough
-Bradley is our best on-ball defender. No Bradley means Steph will most likely kill us
-Whomever IT defends will kill us as well
-Rebounding will be abysmal
-JB will be a starter at 20 years of age

I could go on and on...

The way I see it, the Warriors are a dynasty in the making. No one can beat them (just like no one could beat the Bulls in the 90's). I 'd love to be wrong though. Hopefully the C's manage to win at least one championship in the next few years.

So does that mean if IT guards Curry, he will double kill us?
CELTICS 2024