Author Topic: Would the George/Hayward Celtics have a chance against the Dubs?  (Read 6721 times)

Re: Would the George/Hayward Celtics have a chance against the Dubs?
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
It depends on how this offseason shakes out.  GS is almost certain to keep their top four guys, but nearly everybody else on the roster will have an opportunity to play elsewhere.  They'll inevitably get a few ring-chasers who take less than their worth to try to win a chip like David West did.  Even so, they could be looking at a very thin bench.  And if we pull off these moves, we'll face a similar problem.  We'll be putting a lot of responsibility on some guys who have very little - or zero - NBA experience.  But if we could bring in a couple of solid veterans looking for a shot at a title, that could put us in a much better situation in terms of depth.

Anyway, puncher's chance?  Absolutely.  Fluke games happen, injuries happen, if we get to the Finals then we have a shot.  But I don't expect them to win next year.  So many things would have to go right for us, and some things would have to go wrong for GS too. 

IMO it really starts to get interesting in 2018.  Our young core gets that year of experience, we add another potentially-elite draft selection, and I think at that point our depth can offset their edge in elite talent. 

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 08:03:20 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We 'd be hoping someone from their big 4 gets injured while we face no major injury concerns and we are at the top of our form. Even then, the Warriors may still be the favorites to win the series. I mean, they broke the Bulls' record for most wins in the regular season without KD!! Let's face it, it's highly likely that the Warriors are the best team in NBA history.

Yeah, getting George (am already assuming Hayward) gets us to a point where we only need to hope for an injury on the Warriors, rather than the Cavs and Warriors.
Not sure that would be enough though. Even if they lose KD (arguably their best player) I believe they will still be the better team.

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
of course

This lineup would have a legit chance to raise the trophy

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 08:07:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We 'd be hoping someone from their big 4 gets injured while we face no major injury concerns and we are at the top of our form. Even then, the Warriors may still be the favorites to win the series. I mean, they broke the Bulls' record for most wins in the regular season without KD!! Let's face it, it's highly likely that the Warriors are the best team in NBA history.

Yeah, getting George (am already assuming Hayward) gets us to a point where we only need to hope for an injury on the Warriors, rather than the Cavs and Warriors.
Not sure that would be enough though. Even if they lose KD (arguably their best player) I believe they will still be the better team.

If the Warriors lost Durant along with Iggy, I think our projected lineup would kill them.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2017, 08:20:16 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Yes! That team is practically on par with GSW IMO. At least on paper. Plus, keeping Brown and Smart gives us the edge when it comes to the bench. PG and Hayward allow us to play fast and small without sacrificing length. That team can beat GSW, assuming the players gel well.

C's in 7!
- LilRip

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2017, 08:27:40 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
We'd become the team in the East the ringchasing veterans would like to sign with, giving us the opportunity to round out our roster with solid vets with the veterans minimum.  This would be a huge advantage, rather than having to rely on our young players in the most crucial moments of the playoffs.

Looking at the list of free agents, I don't see a player who is even close to as impactful as someone like Iggy, but if we added the right players I'd say that we'd definitely have a chance over the next few years.

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Yes, I think we matchup with GS better than any other team in the league. Them exploiting IT defensively worries me a bit, but other than that I like our chances. They're still the favorites, but not by much.

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 08:49:17 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Who defends curry and klay? Id rather us trade for george and keep bradley

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 08:54:06 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Who defends curry and klay? Id rather us trade for george and keep bradley

Smart, Brown and Hayward guard Thompson

I would think IT , Smart , Rosier and Brown would spend time defending Curry.

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2017, 08:55:03 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

If the Warriors lost Durant along with Iggy, I think our projected lineup would kill them.
Would kill them?? We are talking about (pretty much) the same group of players that won 73 regular season games in 2015-2016. Steph is arguably the best shooter of all time in an era when most teams shoot tons of 3s every single night. Klay is top 5 shooter of all time (maybe even better than that). Green just won DPY. These 3 guys have built and maintained an almost perfect team chemistry. We can't beat them just by adding star power. We have to focus on team chemistry as well. We need to find the right players that complement each other. That's not an easy thing to do.

I don't believe Hayward and PG are perfect fits next to IT and Horford. For instance, IT is one of the worst defenders in the league. In order for us to hide him on D, the other 4 guys next to him have to be able to minimize his weaknesses. Hayward and Horford are average defenders (above average at the very best).

Not to mention we would be starting Brown (obviously a great defender) who is just 20 years old.

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2017, 08:56:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Would love to see how George does against KD.

Any video?

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Definitely put up a fight.  Losing Bradley hurts a lot in that matchup, but we could give em a run.

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2017, 09:09:44 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
It all depends on IT's hip. If it gives him problems and limits him next season, then no; we just won't have the firepower.

If he is okay, I think we can give them a good series.

That being said, Durant/Curry/Thompson/Green is just too good, and that group already has a year and a title under its belt. Think about that for a second: the Warriors will probably be even better next season.

This is a Warriors team that just curbstomped a LeBron James-led unit in five games.

I think we could push them to six, but I don't think we'll be able to beat them.

Now, two years from now, if Brown and Tatum develop into studs and we still have Thomas/George/Hayward/Horford, it's a different conversation.

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, we'd smack them if they had no Durant and no Iggy. Our wings would have a field day.

I believe that this team could give them a run for their money anyway.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2017, 09:16:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Would kill them?? We are talking about (pretty much) the same group of players that won 73 regular season games in 2015-2016. Steph is arguably the best shooter of all time in an era when most teams shoot tons of 3s every single night. Klay is top 5 shooter of all time (maybe even better than that). Green just won DPY. These 3 guys have built and maintained an almost perfect team chemistry. We can't beat them just by adding star power. We have to focus on team chemistry as well. We need to find the right players that complement each other. That's not an easy thing to do.

I don't believe Hayward and PG are perfect fits next to IT and Horford. For instance, IT is one of the worst defenders in the league. In order for us to hide him on D, the other 4 guys next to him have to be able to minimize his weaknesses. Hayward and Horford are average defenders (above average at the very best).

Not to mention we would be starting Brown (obviously a great defender) who is just 20 years old.

They'd be down Iggy, Harrison Barnes, Speights, Barbosa and Bogut from that team. Without Durant, a big three of Curry / Thompson / Green isn't that remarkable. The Dubs can win with great depth, or four elite players and solid depth. They wouldn't win with neither.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes