Author Topic: Hayward and Griffin>Hayward and PG13  (Read 3857 times)

Hayward and Griffin>Hayward and PG13
« on: June 27, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I will be very thrilled if we are able to add Hayward in free agency although I still think the likely scenario is for him to resign with Utah. If we are able to get him I'd much rather see us add Griffin than George. Hayward and George play too similar of roles plus would cause us to gut our roster and give up all our picks. I'd much rather see us add Griffin who fills a different spot plus gives us a needed rebounder, and won't cost us everything. Not sold on giving up everything for George. Don't think he's a Warriors beating difference maker. Not sure Griffin is either, however we still have all those picks with him and if it doesn't work out we rebuild with youth.

Re: Hayward and Griffin>Hayward and PG13
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 05:46:26 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Wrong. Modern NBA values 3 pts and penalizes 1 dimensional athletes.  Look at warriors and cavs

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:53:01 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't know how they could fit two FAs under the cap. They can trade for George and sign one FA, and still be close to the cap. One way or another. But two FAs--way over the cap.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 06:16:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's not really feasible to acquire both, but regardless, I'd want two elite wings in today's NBA.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
It's not really feasible to acquire both, but regardless, I'd want two elite wings in today's NBA.

Just wondering, but how many exceptions do we have?

Like say we sign Hayward, trade for George. We have 2, right?

The room exception AND a veteran minimum?

I guess we can plug some PF/C holes with those exceptions.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 06:17:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
There's no Hayward and Griffin. Hayward and George or Griffin and George.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Wrong. Modern NBA values 3 pts and penalizes 1 dimensional athletes.  Look at warriors and cavs

Griffin is hardly 1 dimensional.  He can still stretch the floor, and is a very good passer.  Also this past season he attempted 1.9 3 point attempts a game at 34%.  Nothing to write home about, but maybe he is starting to expand his game now. Horford himself only started shooting 3 pointers recently in his career.  I know it's a risk with his injury history but I'd gladly take him as plan B.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 06:53:45 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I agree with the notion that tall, athletic, good shooting wings are very useful in today's NBA. 

Just for fun, how would a lineup of Hayward, Brown, George, Semi, and Tatum fare in a year or two?

That's positionless basketball.  Five guys ranging from 6'7" to 6'10", all athletic, most can create their own shot, all can shoot.  Defensively, they could rotate unlike any other team.

Would fast guards blow them away?  Brown is quick and fast.  Hayward and George have been excellent defenders at the two.

Would a legit big have his way?  There aren't many low block dominant bigs anymore.   And we we play a defense that switches a lot and would have good height with 5 guys who can rebound.

I'm curious to how people think that would go. 

I'm not advocating for it, but how would that play out?

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 06:29:41 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think the pairings are equal. Keeping more assets maybe the only difference. But I mentioned this before that to get Hayward and Griffin you need to have both guys agree to less than the max and you also have to get one of their former teams to agree to a S&T. Now Jazz are willing to take Crowder and AB for Hayward I am sure and they probably send a pick back too. Clippers would be as well. Hell Clippers would probably lift their pick protection to get the deal. Keeps Jazz in playoff hunt and saves C's some cap space. Griffin can then sign using the remaining cap space. Math break down

Team as is (Renouce all FA and non guarantees. Add Rookie cap holds) equals 74 million. Cap is 100 million 100 or take 2 million.

Hayward/Griffin (20 million per / 3 years 2nd year player opt.)
for
AB (8.8million) and Crowder (6.2 million)

Cap 79 million
Griffin/ Hayward then signs same deal as above rate. Make this deal also a S&T with Rozier and you end up with 3 million to sign a vet big.

IT, Brown, Hayward, Griffin, Horford
Smart, Bird, Tatum, Theis, Zizic
Allen, Semi, Yab
(Plus 3 million to sign a guy before you sign your second round picks)

Would those guys take a 5 million dollar pay cut? They should make that up in endorsements.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 07:02:37 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Griffin is far from being one-dimensional. Dude can rebound, pass, post-up and has extended his range to 3 point line. The only concern for him is his health.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 07:10:23 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Griffin is far from being one-dimensional. Dude can rebound, pass, post-up and has extended his range to 3 point line. The only concern for him is his health.
In fairness, his rebounding isn't great these days. But I agree he is otherwise skilled and not one-dimensional.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 07:41:39 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'd rather have 2 elite wings on the floor.

I like Griffin. And I think *when healthy* he's a legit MVP candidate. But my issue is since we already have Horford as well, what happens when other teams go small against the C's? One of those guys basically has to sit.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 07:50:48 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I don't like Griffin's value proposition: near-max deal for an injury prone player approaching his 30's who is dependent on his athleticism/leaping ability. I'm not psyched about George for this team either (I think we should build for the future), but Griffin has DNP written all over him. I don't want to cash in on our flexibility for Griffin.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 08:03:42 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I don't like Griffin's value proposition: near-max deal for an injury prone player approaching his 30's who is dependent on his athleticism/leaping ability. I'm not psyched about George for this team either (I think we should build for the future), but Griffin has DNP written all over him. I don't want to cash in on our flexibility for Griffin.
But you're ok with 75-games-a-season Hayward then? Odd.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
But you're ok with 75-games-a-season Hayward then? Odd.
Has it escaped your notice that almost every nba start misses 5 or 10 games a year, even those who stay generally healthy?