Author Topic: How would you even pay George, Horford, IT, and Hayward?  (Read 5167 times)

How would you even pay George, Horford, IT, and Hayward?
« on: June 27, 2017, 04:03:40 PM »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
Huh?

Re: How would you even pay George, Horford, IT, and Hayward?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Just depends on whether the owners are willing to pay up to contend.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
With money direct deposited into whatever account they want.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
with money, i suppose.  ;D

dang!!!!! nickagenta beat me by 1 [dang]ed second!!!!!!!

sigh, but a tp to nick for his speedy fingers.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
With clovers and horseshoes.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 04:12:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
By budgeting. Next year we'd probably be under the tax, as we have been for several seasons. Reinvest those profits, along with CSNNE revenue, back into the team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 04:13:46 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
by raising the beer prices at the Garden yet again  :'(

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 05:46:14 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
If we Max Hayward and George this year there will not be enough money to Max IT next year.  IT will need to resign for a lot less then he can get on the market or walk.   I'm not a big fan of IT so I'm good with him walking.  I think we really needed IT's offense the last few years but going forward we don't need his scoring as badly as we did.   IT was our only 20+ point scorer so yeah we needed him badly, but Hayward and George are both 20+ point scores.  Also Brown had a bunch of double digit scoring games which make me believe he can be a 20+ score if given minutes and the green light to shoot.  Add Tatum and Zizic and you should have decent to very good scoring off the bench.  IT's ball dominant me first offensive game isn't as needed and at 30 mill IT is not worth what he does.  If we sign Hayward first I'd move IT for George and give Smart a chance to run the show.

PG: Smart
SG: Brown
SF: Hayward
PF: George
 C: Horford

Thats a nice starting 5 on both ends of the court, an we'll still have Zizic, Tatum, and Rozier as key bench contributors. 

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 05:56:05 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The thing I we have no idea how much Wyc is willing to spend. If the ownership is willing to pay a huge tax bill then no problem. Its also worth noting that there would be no tax next season, and there hasn't been for a while now meaning my guess is that ownership is swimming in money they could reinvest. They could likely resign Isaiah and George next season and go into the tax, the question is how long? Are they willing to pay a huge tax 3,4 even 5 years in a row. I mean why consider this if you are gonna blow it up after just one year?

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 06:07:45 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
by raising the beer prices at the Garden yet again  :'(

and ticket prices...

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 06:24:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I was going to start a thread on this, but I'll put it here:

Let's suppose the following:

This year, the cap is $99 million.  We move Rozier and Jackson, release don't resign all the others, to make room for Hayward.  Because he's excited to join the Celtics and Brad, he takes a pay cut of approximately $250k beneath the max to come along.

Then we trade Crowder, Bradley, the Lakers/SAC/Philly pick, and maybe something like the Clippers pick, and get George.

Our roster this year is:
IT
Smart
George
Hayward
Horford
Brown
Tatum
Zizic
Semi
Nader
Allen
Bird
Room exception
Euro-rookie
Euro-rookie

(You can replace other minimum salary types where I have the Euro-rookie.  Limited impact and not worth debating.)

This year's roster costs approximately $109 million.  Under the luxury tax, which is good.  But also a decent amount above the cap.

Next year we'll suppose that the room exception player walks, Smart walks, and one Euro-rookie walks.  We'll suppose that we get a little unlucky with the Nets pick and select 5th, we finish with the 3rd best record and pick 28th, and bring over Yabusele.

We'll also suppose that the cap is $102 million and the luxury tax is $123 million.  George and IT both get max salaries.

This leaves a roster of:

IT
George
Hayward
Horford
Brown
Tatum
Zizic
Yabusele
Semi
Nader
Allen
Bird
Nets 2018
Celtics 2018
Euro-rookie year 2 (or anyone else on a minimum deal).

That roster has a payroll of just over $150 million, with a luxury tax of approximately $75 million.  Pretty much the entire roster is under contract for the following season as well, with salary increases that will outpace any increase in the luxury tax, leading to an even larger payroll and tax bill the following year.

As a fan, I would love it if ownership paid that much, because we'd have a true title contender for several years.  But, while the franchise has hit the luxury tax before, they've never paid a tax bill that's 50% on top of payroll, and that's what would likely happen in a Hayward+George scenario.

Accordingly, it's why I have trouble believing these rumors.  I would LOVE to be wrong.  But it's a very, very large bill.

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 06:28:01 PM »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
If we Max Hayward and George this year there will not be enough money to Max IT next year.  IT will need to resign for a lot less then he can get on the market or walk.   I'm not a big fan of IT so I'm good with him walking.  I think we really needed IT's offense the last few years but going forward we don't need his scoring as badly as we did.   IT was our only 20+ point scorer so yeah we needed him badly, but Hayward and George are both 20+ point scores.  Also Brown had a bunch of double digit scoring games which make me believe he can be a 20+ score if given minutes and the green light to shoot.  Add Tatum and Zizic and you should have decent to very good scoring off the bench.  IT's ball dominant me first offensive game isn't as needed and at 30 mill IT is not worth what he does.  If we sign Hayward first I'd move IT for George and give Smart a chance to run the show.

Thats a nice starting 5 on both ends of the court, an we'll still have Zizic, Tatum, and Rozier as key bench contributors.

No that's not good

Brown isn't a 2 and George is not a 4

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

No that's not good

Brown isn't a 2 and George is not a 4

Brown could very well be a two, he started at the 2 at times last year and player arguably his best ball there. That said its possible that's not the starting lineup and they use a vet big to start. But by the end of the year that could very well be the closing lineup.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 06:33:41 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I was going to start a thread on this, but I'll put it here:

Let's suppose the following:

This year, the cap is $99 million.  We move Rozier and Jackson, release don't resign all the others, to make room for Hayward.  Because he's excited to join the Celtics and Brad, he takes a pay cut of approximately $250k beneath the max to come along.

Then we trade Crowder, Bradley, the Lakers/SAC/Philly pick, and maybe something like the Clippers pick, and get George.

Our roster this year is:
IT
Smart
George
Hayward
Horford
Brown
Tatum
Zizic
Semi
Nader
Allen
Bird
Room exception
Euro-rookie
Euro-rookie

(You can replace other minimum salary types where I have the Euro-rookie.  Limited impact and not worth debating.)

This year's roster costs approximately $109 million.  Under the luxury tax, which is good.  But also a decent amount above the cap.

Next year we'll suppose that the room exception player walks, Smart walks, and one Euro-rookie walks.  We'll suppose that we get a little unlucky with the Nets pick and select 5th, we finish with the 3rd best record and pick 28th, and bring over Yabusele.

We'll also suppose that the cap is $102 million and the luxury tax is $123 million.  George and IT both get max salaries.

This leaves a roster of:

IT
George
Hayward
Horford
Brown
Tatum
Zizic
Yabusele
Semi
Nader
Allen
Bird
Nets 2018
Celtics 2018
Euro-rookie year 2 (or anyone else on a minimum deal).

That roster has a payroll of just over $150 million, with a luxury tax of approximately $75 million.  Pretty much the entire roster is under contract for the following season as well, with salary increases that will outpace any increase in the luxury tax, leading to an even larger payroll and tax bill the following year.

As a fan, I would love it if ownership paid that much, because we'd have a true title contender for several years.  But, while the franchise has hit the luxury tax before, they've never paid a tax bill that's 50% on top of payroll, and that's what would likely happen in a Hayward+George scenario.

Accordingly, it's why I have trouble believing these rumors.  I would LOVE to be wrong.  But it's a very, very large bill.

I think you are assuming IT will be getting a max. I can't see any team in the NBA giving him a max contract.

Plus if he wants to win a championship, I think he would be open to a more team friendly deal.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 06:43:38 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Celtics aren't going to pay a $75-$80 million luxury tax or anything close to it for multiple years. That would be the highest luxury tax in NBA history or very close to it. That's not happening. We don't have a Russian owner worth $10 billion, trying to make a big splash. 

Unless he takes way less than the max, this deal likely means the end for IT a year from now.