Author Topic: What will it take to get George?  (Read 9577 times)

Re: What will it take to get George?
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2017, 10:34:56 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Just make sure PG signs an extension, or a new contract. I don't want him to be a one year rental, and then run to La La land.

As has also been mentioned a number of times, there is really no feasible way to extend or sign PG to a new contract without dumping several of IT/Brown/Tatum/Smart...in other words, that is just not happening.

We are just going to have to take his 'word' that he will re-sign. Given that we can offer 5-years, more money, and a serious chance at a championship, that is a reasonable possibility.
PG13's word means nothing.....ask Doc's daughter or any of his baby mama's. He lies and lies until it is impossible to lie any more. He really spits in the face of "character" guys the Celts want and blows that narrative to smithereens.

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2017, 03:14:04 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Its either Indiana trades Paul George for Bradley, Crowder and the 018 Brooklyn pick or they lose him outright next year. Its that simple Ainge holds all the cards

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2017, 03:37:22 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Just make sure PG signs an extension, or a new contract. I don't want him to be a one year rental, and then run to La La land.

As has also been mentioned a number of times, there is really no feasible way to extend or sign PG to a new contract without dumping several of IT/Brown/Tatum/Smart...in other words, that is just not happening.

We are just going to have to take his 'word' that he will re-sign. Given that we can offer 5-years, more money, and a serious chance at a championship, that is a reasonable possibility.
PG13's word means nothing.....ask Doc's daughter or any of his baby mama's. He lies and lies until it is impossible to lie any more. He really spits in the face of "character" guys the Celts want and blows that narrative to smithereens.

I mean, yeah, he impregnated a stripper when he was 23 years old, but he only has one child, he is doing the right thing by getting full joint custody and trying to be in the child's life (1). I think we can all relate to making a mistake or two in our early 20's, so I'm not automatically invoking the character clause here.

That said, I don't think it would be wise to make this trade unless it's for rental terms and for a rental price. No former or future lottery picks should be in this trade.

1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2849856/Indiana-Pacers-player-Paul-George-former-stripper-Daniela-Rajic-resolve-paternity-battle-regarding-7-month-old-baby-girl.html
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2017, 03:52:40 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Its either Indiana trades Paul George for Bradley, Crowder and the 018 Brooklyn pick or they lose him outright next year. Its that simple Ainge holds all the cards
I think it will be less than we think.
Last 2 stars that were shiped (Jimmy, DMC) got far less in return than most thought it will be, me included. PG IMO is a better player than the two, but his contract situation negates that value.
Danny will be tought no doubt.
I think that crowder will go in the deal, I have that feeling too, based on the thought that his trade value will never be higher and we got 2 Allstars and a 3rd overall pick at his position.
(Psst: Crowder was better in the 15/16 season than in the last one, but don't let anyone around the league hear that.)
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2017, 07:22:27 AM »

Offline StevensArmy

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1
I agree, no LA or Brooklyn pick should be in this trade. There is reasonable enough probability to assume the LA pick could convey next year or a significantly greater probability the SAC pick will convey top 5-10 if not higher in 2019. To trade this asset for 1 year or 3 years of PG is foolish considering the opportunity cost, the effect on cap space, the availability of playing time at the 3 valuable to the development of Brown, Tatum, and Sami and the loss a future asset(s) that could be used in a potential trade for AD. Given the Pacers lack of leverage in this situation an offer from among some combination of players that likely could not be retained after next season Bradley, Crowder, Smart, and picks Memphis 2019, Celtics 2018 and 2019 should be fair.   

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Except that there are 28 other teams trying to figure out how to trade for him...  Have the last 4 years of "Holding all the cards" taught us nothing? 

There's less than a 5% chance the Celtics get Paul George.

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 09:50:46 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Except that there are 28 other teams trying to figure out how to trade for him...  Have the last 4 years of "Holding all the cards" taught us nothing? 

lol I mean I can make up numbers too.

There's a greater than 95% chance the Celtics get Paul george.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 10:37:23 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

This idea that the celts have all the cards is BS.  Indiana DOES have something we want.  And others in the league want that player too.  So make no mistake, there is some leverage on their side.  Not saying the have the advantage but we don't get to dictate the terms when Indiana is the team that employs George.

Just a matter of placing the proper value given the circumstances.

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 10:54:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
There seems to be 3 teams as being talked about (LAL, BOS, CLE), but I suspect a lot of teams would take a 1 year flyer on George, especially depending on what happens in free agency.  I mean take the Clippers, doesn't George make sense on that team.  If they can find a taker for Jordan that gives them enough for George, I totally see the Clippers doing that.  What about a team like Phoenix that may just want to drive interest for a year and that has plenty of assets they could trade?  I mean a combination of Len, Warren, and Knight isn't a bad return for the Pacers and still leaves the Suns with plenty going forward.  Houston or San Antonio would both be great fits if they could come up with the assets the Pacers want.  Washington if they could finagle some assets for Porter in a sign and trade makes sense.  Heck maybe the Pacers and Porter like each other and Washington basically does a Porter for George and Jefferson swap.  There are just so many different things for the Pacers to be looking at and analyzing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 11:08:40 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
As always it's a question of what you're getting and what you're giving up. The Celts probably have the ability to put together the best package. If they want PG badly enough they could make an offer that Indy would likely not refuse. But since he's going to be a free agent and has expressed a desire to be in LA the Celts would be unwise to give up too much. I suspect both sides are trying to get the other to blink...

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2017, 01:12:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Based on the recent market transactions, I think this is a pretty decent offer:

Jaylen + Crowder + Rozier + Jackson + Mickey for PG13
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ydyhrnlp

1 high-end prospect in Jaylen, 1 fringe prospect in Rozier, 1 favorable and tradeable contract in Crowder, plus no bad contracts coming back.  Include any non-BRK/LAL/SAC future first.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Who wants him...Let him stay in Indiana...

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I think the reason the deal isn't done yet is because of Danny's refusal to include one of both Crowder/Bradley _+ Picks. I think Indy knows what picks they can pry (definitely non-Brooklyn) so they have a path to acquiring LAL 2018 (or SAC 2019 depending on when it converts) + another future 1st round pick.

We're in a tough spot though cause it is necessary to match outgoing salaries if we want to sign a max contract free agent (Hayward or Griffin).

I'm leaning toward the C's only signing Hayward. It becomes a debate about whether or not Hayward establishes enough of an offensive threat (which we lacked) and being able to keep the defensive identity of this team with 2 major pieces who enabled that (Crowder/Bradley).

I prefer the latter. Sign Hayward, keep Crowder/Bradley.

This team:

Thomas/Rozier
Bradley/Smart
Hayward/Brown/Tatum
Crowder/Yabusele/Ojeleye
Horford/Zizic

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2017, 08:00:21 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2017, 09:53:33 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

Might want to re-check those percentages

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.