Author Topic: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?  (Read 41217 times)

Re: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2017, 11:09:15 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

This is by far the best thing I have seen all week.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2017, 11:13:07 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

+1 for that pic.

« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2017, 11:18:03 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Trading Horford sends a signal to every FA out there that promises won't be kept by this team.

I don't think FA contracts come with any promise that the player would never be traded, at least those contracts that don't have no trade clauses.

I don't think Horford will be traded this season but depending on how things play out, it would not surprise me one bit if he is traded at some point (the point where our team starts to go young).

Has anybody come up with a viable way to clear enough cap room to sign those two players without trading Al Horford?  If they have I'd like to hear it.

It's not at all complicated to acquire both, and we're allowed to pay Hayward a max now and George a max after the season.

If we wanted to renegotiate George's deal to give him the max this year it would be tough to do, but otherwise the only question is whether Wyc will cut the check.

It seems complicated to me...

According to http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BOS.htmlThe Celtics currently have 72 million in guaranteed contracts for 2017-2018 before signing any of this years rookies or adding the contracts of Abdel Nader, Gerson Yabusele, or Ante Zizic.

The projected cap is 99 million.

Gordan could be offered a max of 4 years 132 million according to http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679919/Upon-further-review-Hayward-has-earned-max-money-contract.html.  That averages out to 33 million a year... 

If the Celtics sign Gordan Hayward at 33 million a year they'll immediately be over the cap by 5 million... Can they do that?

Even if they backload the contract so that he makes 27 million in his first year they'll be at the cap with only 11 players under contract.

Bird, Allen, Tatum, Ojeleye, Kelly, Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, and Gerald Green are still unsigned.  Nader, Yabs, and Zizic are still unaccounted for and we haven't even started discussing Paul George who currently makes 18 million.

Paul George currently makes 18 million a year and is eligible to be resigned to a 4 year 133 million dollar contract... Once again that's a little over 33 million a year. If we traded Jay Crowder and Avery Bradley in a deal for George and then resigned him to a backloaded extension where he made 27 million his first year the Celtics would be 13 million over the cap with a roster of 10 players, but even if they DON'T resign him until the end of the season (which seems like a HUGE gamble if you're trading away draft picks and players for him) they're still 4 million over the cap.

And all of this is with their rookies unsigned, all their rfa unsigned, and all their stashes still stashed... I don't really know what the rules are regarding signing players once you're over the cap and luxury tax, and future free agents and draft picks but this does not seem like a good situation to be in. 

Can anyone explain how this would actually work under the NBA cap rules?

How far back in the thread have you read?

Or actually, how far into Roy's last post did you read?

I'm not trying to be adversarial here, but other people have worked their butts off learning and sharing information about this. Over and over. Even in this thread. And in many others.

Uhuh... But you're not one of them I take it.  Feel free to pass along a link, or simply not respond next time.

Try doing some research first.  Your 72m in guaranteed contracts includes Zeller's 8m, which is not guaranteed.  Seriously, these forums would be way better if a CBA competency exam were required for registration.

« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2017, 11:23:58 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

+1 for that pic.

Does anyone else think it's weird that a lot of the players we are aquiring/hoping to aquire are able to have their jersey numbers on a team with the least amount of available numbers in the league?

Hayward 20
PG 13
Tatum 0

Seems meant to be  ;)

Even Fultz (if we drafted him) could have kept #20, but we are reserving that for a superior player!! ;D

Sorry Markelle
Sorry Ray

#20 is taken
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2017, 11:28:11 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Trading Horford sends a signal to every FA out there that promises won't be kept by this team.

I don't think FA contracts come with any promise that the player would never be traded, at least those contracts that don't have no trade clauses.

I don't think Horford will be traded this season but depending on how things play out, it would not surprise me one bit if he is traded at some point (the point where our team starts to go young).

Has anybody come up with a viable way to clear enough cap room to sign those two players without trading Al Horford?  If they have I'd like to hear it.

It's not at all complicated to acquire both, and we're allowed to pay Hayward a max now and George a max after the season.

If we wanted to renegotiate George's deal to give him the max this year it would be tough to do, but otherwise the only question is whether Wyc will cut the check.

It seems complicated to me...

According to http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BOS.htmlThe Celtics currently have 72 million in guaranteed contracts for 2017-2018 before signing any of this years rookies or adding the contracts of Abdel Nader, Gerson Yabusele, or Ante Zizic.

The projected cap is 99 million.

Gordan could be offered a max of 4 years 132 million according to http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679919/Upon-further-review-Hayward-has-earned-max-money-contract.html.  That averages out to 33 million a year... 

If the Celtics sign Gordan Hayward at 33 million a year they'll immediately be over the cap by 5 million... Can they do that?

Even if they backload the contract so that he makes 27 million in his first year they'll be at the cap with only 11 players under contract.

Bird, Allen, Tatum, Ojeleye, Kelly, Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, and Gerald Green are still unsigned.  Nader, Yabs, and Zizic are still unaccounted for and we haven't even started discussing Paul George who currently makes 18 million.

Paul George currently makes 18 million a year and is eligible to be resigned to a 4 year 133 million dollar contract... Once again that's a little over 33 million a year. If we traded Jay Crowder and Avery Bradley in a deal for George and then resigned him to a backloaded extension where he made 27 million his first year the Celtics would be 13 million over the cap with a roster of 10 players, but even if they DON'T resign him until the end of the season (which seems like a HUGE gamble if you're trading away draft picks and players for him) they're still 4 million over the cap.

And all of this is with their rookies unsigned, all their rfa unsigned, and all their stashes still stashed... I don't really know what the rules are regarding signing players once you're over the cap and luxury tax, and future free agents and draft picks but this does not seem like a good situation to be in. 

Can anyone explain how this would actually work under the NBA cap rules?

How far back in the thread have you read?

Or actually, how far into Roy's last post did you read?

I'm not trying to be adversarial here, but other people have worked their butts off learning and sharing information about this. Over and over. Even in this thread. And in many others.

Uhuh... But you're not one of them I take it.  Feel free to pass along a link, or simply not respond next time.

Try doing some research first.  Your 72m in guaranteed contracts includes Zeller's 8m, which is not guaranteed.  Seriously, these forums would be way better if a CBA competency exam were required for registration.
Hey!! They told me there would be no math!!!  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2017, 11:41:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This is the biggest news for the Celtics franchise since the KG and ray Allen trade in 2007. Its been a decade people.

« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2017, 11:50:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This is the biggest news for the Celtics franchise since the KG and ray Allen trade in 2007. Its been a decade people.
Only if they get them.

We prepared to get KD last year too. Didn't happen.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2017, 12:23:11 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Only if they get them.

At least we got Al Horford...and a 5-game series to the Eastern Conference Finals  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2017, 12:30:00 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
This won't happen.  But if it does, we would give GS a fight in the Finals next year, and possibly even win.  That can be taken to the bank.  But again, this won't happen.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:58:07 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2017, 01:38:56 AM »

Offline mnshyn

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • Forever Green
i am very impatiently waiting for the next bomb to drop.

it's hard to get anything done when i have to refresh the forums every other minute or so lol
Play to win.  Always.

« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2017, 02:15:59 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Only if they get them.

Yeah this is far from a sure thing at this point.  I have my nut cup firmly in place expecting the worse, but hoping DA will somehow pull it off.

« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2017, 06:21:13 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Only if they get them.

Yeah this is far from a sure thing at this point.  I have my nut cup firmly in place expecting the worse, but hoping DA will somehow pull it off.

Its great if it happens. But I am fine with standing pat. We are in a good place right now.

« Reply #237 on: June 28, 2017, 06:33:37 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523

Warriors top 4 are better.  X factors include:  health, bench, team chemistry, coaching, and ability to disrupt GSW on the defensive end.   I think Cs definitely could  give them a series.

« Reply #238 on: June 28, 2017, 06:44:37 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Warriors top 4 are better.  X factors include:  health, bench, team chemistry, coaching, and ability to disrupt GSW on the defensive end.   I think Cs definitely could  give them a series.

Like you said, the Warriors are better, bit we could give them a series.  The beauty of it is we will still have Brown, Tatum, and next year's Brooklyn pick.  Contend now and in the future.

« Reply #239 on: June 28, 2017, 07:19:58 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I can't fathom how adding George (who doesn't want to play PF) and Hayward (who can't play SG) can be good. But I guess Ainge begs to differ..
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."