Author Topic: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?  (Read 41226 times)

Re: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
How does the following lineup

IT
BROWN
GEORGE
HAYWARD
HORFORD

rebound? Still a problem IMO. May have to move Hayward to guard, move Brown to bench and bring in a stud rebounder on league minimum.

It doesn't rebound.  I don't think anything we do solves that problem though.

If that lineup played to its potential, rebounds wouldn't matter that much.

Exactly. No team has it all. The Warriors and Cavs would have to worry about stopping this lineup.

« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2017, 07:32:52 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
I don't like how these two are tied together now. Just wanted to sign Hayward and then go from there. It seems like it's both or none now  :-\

« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2017, 07:35:40 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Trading Horford solves all of the C's problems very easily and I would much rather do that than have an impossibly weak bench.

Sure, if you consider "have all wings and literally no bigs" as solving all our problems. I'd rather a great starting lineup and a weak bench than a bunch of bench+starting wings and no bigs

Seriously, who would be our best big in that case? A rookie Zizic?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2017, 07:39:51 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
We're gonna have a lot of wings if this happens. I'm assuming Jaylen and Jayson are off the table.

If it happens, and if getting George doesn't involve giving up Bradley or Smart, they'll be set everywhere except center.

They've got Zizic and Horford. Their small ball system is wing heavy. I think they'll have to give up Bradley and probably Crowder.

Horford's not a true center (he's a 4), and Zizic is a non-entity.  This team's future center, hopefully, is coming via the next Brooklyn pick.

Hopefully Ayton or Bamba will be walking through that door!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

IT
BROWN
GEORGE
HAYWARD
HORFORD

rebound? Still a problem IMO. May have to move Hayward to guard, move Brown to bench and bring in a stud rebounder on league minimum.

It doesn't rebound.  I don't think anything we do solves that problem though.

If that lineup played to its potential, rebounds wouldn't matter that much.

Exactly. No team has it all. The Warriors and Cavs would have to worry about stopping this lineup.

God just imagine a lineup of Thomas, 6'7 Brown, 6'8 Heyward, 6'9 George and 6'10 Horford, or Thomas, 6'8 Heyward, 6'8 Tatum, 6'9 George, 6'10 Horford. That is as close to position-less basketball as you get. Brad Stevens has gotta feel like a kid on Christmas morning if this happens.

« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
We are going to see a lot of clickbait like this over the next few days.

Woj taking advantage of the situation after a few days of NBA fans desperate for some more juicy gossip.

I really hope Woj keeps his credibility moving over to ESPN.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2017, 07:59:13 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

IT
BROWN
GEORGE
HAYWARD
HORFORD

Shoot 3's all day. That's how we gonna win games. All five of them can shoot from the perimeter. Especially ours-truly IT4

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2017, 08:01:22 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
We are going to see a lot of clickbait like this over the next few days.

Woj taking advantage of the situation after a few days of NBA fans desperate for some more juicy gossip.

I really hope Woj keeps his credibility moving over to ESPN.

Why wouldn't he? Guys like Marc Stein and Zach Lowe are rock solid despite their employer.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2017, 08:15:16 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Just heard on ESPN radio that Hayward's wife and family want him out of Utah. They want a change.

« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2017, 08:19:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Another great thing if the Celtics were able to get PG13,

Tatum would benefit a ton.   

Brown can learn from Hayward and PG13 as well

« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2017, 08:21:09 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
When can FA's start signing? When can all this start going down?
- LilRip

« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2017, 08:22:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

IT
BROWN
GEORGE
HAYWARD
HORFORD

why? Zizic is the guy for the job

Plus brown, tatum , smart off the bench

Celtics will be fine.   CBS may start and end with the lineup above but , there is going to be alot of different combinations in the meat part of the game

« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2017, 08:25:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Jul 1st

Maybe Danny already has had permission to speak to PG13 camp....and a predeal already in discussion

I feel someone from the Pacers org has leaked out this rumor... so that other teams can step in to beat the offer. Or have the Celts raise the initial offer

If i'm Danny i wouldn't be too happy if a pre deal is already in place

« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2017, 08:31:14 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Jul 1st

Maybe Danny already has had permission to speak to PG13 camp....and a predeal already in discussion

I feel someone from the Pacers org has leaked out this rumor... so that other teams can step in to beat the offer. Or have the Celts raise the initial offer

If i'm Danny i wouldn't be too happy if a pre deal is already in place

July 1 is the verbal agreement. Boy I'm gonna be at Vegas that day...hoping for some EXCITING CELTICS NEWS.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2017, 09:05:13 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Trading Horford sends a signal to every FA out there that promises won't be kept by this team.

I don't think FA contracts come with any promise that the player would never be traded, at least those contracts that don't have no trade clauses.

I don't think Horford will be traded this season but depending on how things play out, it would not surprise me one bit if he is traded at some point (the point where our team starts to go young).

Has anybody come up with a viable way to clear enough cap room to sign those two players without trading Al Horford?  If they have I'd like to hear it.

It's not at all complicated to acquire both, and we're allowed to pay Hayward a max now and George a max after the season.

If we wanted to renegotiate George's deal to give him the max this year it would be tough to do, but otherwise the only question is whether Wyc will cut the check.

It seems complicated to me...

According to http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/BOS.htmlThe Celtics currently have 72 million in guaranteed contracts for 2017-2018 before signing any of this years rookies or adding the contracts of Abdel Nader, Gerson Yabusele, or Ante Zizic.

The projected cap is 99 million.

Gordan could be offered a max of 4 years 132 million according to http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679919/Upon-further-review-Hayward-has-earned-max-money-contract.html.  That averages out to 33 million a year... 

If the Celtics sign Gordan Hayward at 33 million a year they'll immediately be over the cap by 5 million... Can they do that?

Even if they backload the contract so that he makes 27 million in his first year they'll be at the cap with only 11 players under contract.

Bird, Allen, Tatum, Ojeleye, Kelly, Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, and Gerald Green are still unsigned.  Nader, Yabs, and Zizic are still unaccounted for and we haven't even started discussing Paul George who currently makes 18 million.

Paul George currently makes 18 million a year and is eligible to be resigned to a 4 year 133 million dollar contract... Once again that's a little over 33 million a year. If we traded Jay Crowder and Avery Bradley in a deal for George and then resigned him to a backloaded extension where he made 27 million his first year the Celtics would be 13 million over the cap with a roster of 10 players, but even if they DON'T resign him until the end of the season (which seems like a HUGE gamble if you're trading away draft picks and players for him) they're still 4 million over the cap.

And all of this is with their rookies unsigned, all their rfa unsigned, and all their stashes still stashed... I don't really know what the rules are regarding signing players once you're over the cap and luxury tax, and future free agents and draft picks but this does not seem like a good situation to be in. 

Can anyone explain how this would actually work under the NBA cap rules?