Author Topic: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?  (Read 41179 times)

Re: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2017, 04:40:01 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
IT
Smart
Brown
Tatum
PG
Hayward
Horford
Zizic
Yabu
Semi
Jackson

Last five spots would have to be roster min vets...KO, Rozier, Jonas, Zeller, Young, Green, Amir all gone....Crowder, Rozier, AB traded

Yabusele has to stay overseas.  Jackson needs to be moved to clear salary.

Yabu too much $? Also PG position would become thin with just IT and Smart

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2017, 04:40:18 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
I guess saltover just answered my question..i guess no to Nader

« Reply #107 on: June 27, 2017, 04:40:28 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Count me among those who doesn't understand how you can both trade for and extend George without gutting your team. I would suspect that the C's, if they are interested in trading for George, will trade for him (maybe with Bradley and Crowder?) and then try to sign him with bird rights at the end of next year.

Another thing to keep in mind: It was widely reported last year that George wasn't thrilled with playing power forward. If you've got both Hayward and George, there's no getting around that scenario. I think that's a lineup that could work in terms of winning basketball games (even as we'd get killed on the boards), but I don't think it would be appealing to George.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
EDIT, Marks qualifies as a cap expert.

Bobby Marks‏Verified account @BobbyMarks42 2h2 hours ago

Math in Boston would be complicated but can be done to fit PG and Hayward in.

Celtics bench would certainly be thin.

Bobby Marks‏Verified account @BobbyMarks42 1h1 hour ago

Roster in Boston would be: Horford, IT, Tatum, Brown, PG, Hayward, Smart, Room ML and 6 minimum/2nd rd. picks.

The most PG could extend for is 120% above his $19.5m salary= $23.4m ($7m below his max in 18-19). Could renegotiate but need cap space.

Wonder if Zizic could be squeezed in. Kaufman seems to think so.

So basically, to summarize, we would generate max cap space (or within like 500K of it) by getting rid of everyone not tied down (except Zizic who we bring over) and trading rozier. We then sign Hayward into that cap space. Next we trade Bradley, Crowder, and picks for George which would at that point put us over the cap. We cant renegotiate and extend because we don't have cap space to do so. We could do a simple extension adding onto his 19.5 deal but he has no financial reason to do that as he would be taking a pay cut. We would basically be relying on a strong playoff push, Brad Stevens, the TD garden atmosphere and the ability to offer more more to convince him to stay AFTER the season. We would lose a lot of depth, but we would still have our best assets (Tatum, Brown, BRK18) and on the bright side this would actually help open up some solid rotation minutes for Brown and Tatum who would be relied upon to be solid bench contributors next year. Brown may even start at SG if we want to go small. We would also become a prime destination for veteran ring chasers.

I DO THIS 100 TIMES OUR OF A 100.

« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2017, 04:45:27 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I have read break downs that illustrate how Ainge could do it without hitting the tax. Regardless, there are plenty of issues.

Obviously, Ainge is the one who knows. My concern with what I have read is that there are too many young players left to play with the core of:

Thomas
Smart/Brown
Hayward
George
Horford

Bench
Zizic (never played in NBA)
Tatum (as above)
Seme
Nadir
Allen
Bird
MLE's
vet mins...or whatever

Lot of guys must be accepted by Pacers in trade to allow for the salary dump. (AB, JAE,Rozier,Jax). Indy wants all these guys? After PG they have 3 roster spots laying around?

The next issue is Thomas' injury. Smart and exactly whom start at PG next season while Thomas recovers? Vet min?

Or will Ainge trade Thomas as he will have to be traded 2018/2019 anyway to get his money?
It seems obvious to me that Horford, Hayward and George are $90M the season after next and Thomas is out.

If Thomas goes out in this deal, is the team "fully viable" with Smart and a vet minimum running PG?

Smart/Vet minimum(PG)
Hayward/Brown
George
Horford
Vet minimum(C)

Below guys who've never played in the NBA before (this makes the entire deal seem odd, you can only make it work with 6 "almost" rookie deals?)
Zizic
Nader
Allen
Seme
Tatum
Bird
MLE (big)
MLE (guard)

If it happens, there is another deal coming and the rookies are too cheap to trade.

« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2017, 04:45:31 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Count me among those who doesn't understand how you can both trade for and extend George without gutting your team. I would suspect that the C's, if they are interested in trading for George, will trade for him (maybe with Bradley and Crowder?) and then try to sign him with bird rights at the end of next year.

Another thing to keep in mind: It was widely reported last year that George wasn't thrilled with playing power forward. If you've got both Hayward and George, there's no getting around that scenario. I think that's a lineup that could work in terms of winning basketball games (even as we'd get killed on the boards), but I don't think it would be appealing to George.

Then just trade for George and sign a PF.

« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2017, 04:46:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Wow! I'm holding my breath until some shoes drop!

« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2017, 04:46:23 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Trading Horford solves all of the C's problems very easily and I would much rather do that than have an impossibly weak bench.

« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2017, 04:47:28 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Roster in Boston would be: Horford, IT, Tatum, Brown, PG, Hayward, Smart, Room ML and 6 minimum/2nd rd. picks.

The most PG could extend for is 120% above his $19.5m salary= $23.4m ($7m below his max in 18-19). Could renegotiate but need cap space.

Yeah, I think we can keep Zizic. If Hayward takes a haircut we can keep Rozier, too.

Hayward would have to take a decent haircut to keep Rozier.  Moving only Rozier  and Jackson means Hayward might take a haircut of a couple hundred thousand, where the cap winds up.  Keeping Rozier adds over $1 million to that discount in year 1, and close to $5 million over a 4-year deal.

Something to keep in mind:

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 21 minutes ago
Multiple team execs have stressed the $99m cap projection is still a projection and isn’t finalized until Friday. Still could change.

You can keep Zizic with a small haircut for GH at $99MM, but not Rozier, You could keep both with no GH haircut if the cap ends up at $100MM. Of course, it could move in the wrong direction too.

« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
This would be a great trade if we pulled it off. However, let's not disrespect the Warriors. They would still win in 6 games. The trade is still worth it because of Brown and Tatum's upside. I could see us eventually beating the Warriors.

« Reply #115 on: June 27, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Nader is fine.  He'll get the minimum and can be signed with either cap room, since their are roster holds equal to the rookie minimum for not having enough players under contract, or just with the minimum salary exception.

The more players who are traded away, the easier it is to fit Nader.

« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2017, 04:50:38 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Wonder if the sequence would still involve signing Griffin if they lose out on GH and then making the deal for PG

« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Yeah, I think we can keep Zizic. If Hayward takes a haircut we can keep Rozier, too.

Hayward would have to take a decent haircut to keep Rozier.  Moving only Rozier  and Jackson means Hayward might take a haircut of a couple hundred thousand, where the cap winds up.  Keeping Rozier adds over $1 million to that discount in year 1, and close to $5 million over a 4-year deal.

Something to keep in mind:

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 21 minutes ago
Multiple team execs have stressed the $99m cap projection is still a projection and isn’t finalized until Friday. Still could change.

You can keep Zizic with a small haircut for GH at $99MM, but not Rozier, You could keep both with no GH haircut if the cap ends up at $100MM. Of course, it could move in the wrong direction too.

No, the cap would have to be pretty high to keep Rozier without Hayward taking less than max.  Back up to being over $101 million.  Don't forget that as the cap rises, so too does Hayward's max.  (Also don't forget that 12th roster charge for $815k).

« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2017, 04:53:57 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

Nader is fine.  He'll get the minimum and can be signed with either cap room, since their are roster holds equal to the rookie minimum for not having enough players under contract, or just with the minimum salary exception.

The more players who are traded away, the easier it is to fit Nader.

TP for this and all the education

« Reply #119 on: June 27, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
I think the real question here is who is leaking this information?  Highly doubtful that it's Boston.

Would think the likely sources are either the Pacers or George's camp, with the purpose of putting pressure on LA or Cleveland to get them to step up, assuming George truly prefers those locations.  And if not, maybe he is ready to sign long term in Boston.