Author Topic: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?  (Read 41046 times)

Re: WOJ BOMB, paul george and hayward!!!?
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For what it's worth, I'm still a skeptic on this rumor.  It seems much more likely that it's something the Pacers put out there to encourage the Lakers to step up their game than this is actually sourced from the Celtics.

Maybe, but the original version came from a Boston source.

Woj isn't always right, but he usually is.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2017, 03:05:20 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
although as saltover explains..idk how this is feasible
Feasible. Ownership will just have to pay a zillion dollars in luxury tax.
I saw an estimate, the other day, that every home playoff game earns a team over $10 million.  If the C's are in, at least, the ECF every year they'll probably earn enough to cover most of the luxury tax. With extra income from media, promotion and accessories the owners will probably make a nice profit even with that whopping big luxury tax.

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2017, 03:07:19 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Sources on @TheVertical: Boston working to sequence the acquisitions of Gordon Hayward and Paul George.

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/879766343867912193
I can't open twitter at work.  can someone recap it for me for a TP?

Better than a recap:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-celtics-working-land-gordon-hayward-paul-george-181020436.html

FWIW, Woj said that there was a possible BOS-IND deal on draft day too

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Sources on @TheVertical: Boston working to sequence the acquisitions of Gordon Hayward and Paul George.

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/879766343867912193
I can't open twitter at work.  can someone recap it for me for a TP?

Better than a recap:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-celtics-working-land-gordon-hayward-paul-george-181020436.html

FWIW, Woj said that there was a possible BOS-IND deal on draft day too
thanks - TP

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
For what it's worth, I'm still a skeptic on this rumor.  It seems much more likely that it's something the Pacers put out there to encourage the Lakers to step up their game than this is actually sourced from the Celtics.

This is very much worth noting. It's always important to ask why a rumor leaks.

I understand the skepticism, but what does LA have left to give up (that they'd be willing to do) and how could they possibly beat whatever we could offer?

Mike

Lonzo Ball.  If LA calls up now and says "okay, we give in, you can have Ball", the Lakers will be holding a press conference tomorrow.

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
So bench would be Rozier, Zicic, Tatum and veteran minimum players. Gross but worth it I guess.

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2017, 03:11:47 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Love that this rumor keeps coming back but I don't think we want to play Paul George out of position at PF.  I think Hayward plays SG and Paul George plays SG.  Then we pick up a vet to play the front court with Horford or maybe Zizic gets minutes.  In any case, if we play George at PF, which I contend is not his natural position, we risk him not liking it and wanting to pick a different team when he becomes a FA.

Maybe Hayward would settle for $25M instead of $29M, even a small concession by Hayward could make a big difference.  To me, he is a fringe max player anyway.

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2017, 03:12:35 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63

Nailed it. When Kaufman reported this, folks wanted to wait until Woj confirmed. Now that Woj is confirming it's "Woj has no sources the Celtics front office."

Not saying this is guaranteed to happen, but where there's smoke there's fire.

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Is there any benefit to (assuming Hayward gets signed) trading for George for one year and then having him leave as a free agent?  Is there any cap benefit that might help in 18-19 and beyond?

Having trouble figuring out why they'd do this without being assured he'll sign an extension.
is there anything clearly stating one way or the other if there's an agreement to extend or not?  no extension agreement should lessen the quality of the pick going out to Indy.  still ok with moving AB and Crowder in the deal if we're getting Hayward first

Because the only way to extend George would require too much being sent out in salary to make sense.  (Either every player but Horford and the newly signed Hayward would be traded, including IT, or Horford would have to be moved with at least one other player.)
I meant anything that indicated he wouldn't be open to extending or resigning with the team after the trade whether it's at the 6-month mark or next offseason.

Just to be clear, Paul George will NOT agree to an extension with us. Not because he doesn't want to play here long term (I have no idea about that), but because doing so would leave tens of millions of dollars on the table (unless we traded away Horford or everyone but Horford, like saltlover explained). The best we could hope for would be him agreeing now to pick up his player option for next season (which would leave a smaller, but still substantial, amount of money on the table), but likely it would be a promise to resign for the max or a promise to consider it.

An extension would lock him in for 3 more years (well) below the max and smaller non-Bird year-to-year raises
I'm bitter.

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2017, 03:14:10 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Is there any benefit to (assuming Hayward gets signed) trading for George for one year and then having him leave as a free agent?  Is there any cap benefit that might help in 18-19 and beyond?

Having trouble figuring out why they'd do this without being assured he'll sign an extension.
is there anything clearly stating one way or the other if there's an agreement to extend or not?  no extension agreement should lessen the quality of the pick going out to Indy.  still ok with moving AB and Crowder in the deal if we're getting Hayward first

Because the only way to extend George would require too much being sent out in salary to make sense.  (Either every player but Horford and the newly signed Hayward would be traded, including IT, or Horford would have to be moved with at least one other player.)

Are you sure this is right? I've read that it's better for PG to extend now verses after next season so he will get more money in the long run.

It really is dependent upon if Ainge is willing to take a risk and rent him for a year and convince him to stay. Ainge has the assets to either rent him or sign him long term. Indy knows they can't get anything better than that Nets & Lakers pick.

They don't want Love
They don't want Randle, Ingram or Clarkson
They don't want Porter

They are waiting until this weekend...just my opinion.

I don't know where you read that, but that source is wrong

This is why it's better for PG to take extension now.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246460/Paul-Georges-RE-Would-Be-

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2017, 03:14:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It could make the bench thin, but if we could just keep Rozier OR Smart, we should be ok.

IT
Jaylen
Hayward
George
Horford
---------
Rozier or Smart
Tatum
Zizic

Would need to try and pickup a PF with whatever exception we have to use.  Keeping Smart would obviously make that 2nd unit very strong, but he is up for an extension soon. So might need to part with him for luxury tax purposes. Paying 4 players a max contract is gonna make it costly for Wyc to extend Smart. Might be better to keep Rozier instead. (Trade AB, Smart, Crowder all to Indiana)

I have hopes for Yabusele, unless he is included in the trade. Also that kid we just drafted from SMU could contribute, he's 22-23.

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2017, 03:16:58 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Nailed it. When Kaufman reported this, folks wanted to wait until Woj confirmed. Now that Woj is confirming it's "Woj has no sources the Celtics front office."

I don't think the people currently saying "Woj has no sources in the Celtics front office" are the same ones that said "Wait for Woj". I certainly didn't/wouldn't have suggested waiting for Woj when it comes to rumors involving the Celtics
I'm bitter.

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I love this.  We need to signal to Hayward's camp that we have a championship level team in place if he joins and we need to signal to Indy that if they just hold on, we can give them a better package than anyone else.  We also can't openly tell them, because that would be tampering.

So all of a sudden, a Boston source leaks to the biggest NBA rumor Twitter account that this is our plan.  It's like collusion laundering.

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63

I don't think the people currently saying "Woj has no sources in the Celtics front office" are the same ones that said "Wait for Woj". I certainly didn't/wouldn't have suggested waiting for Woj when it comes to rumors involving the Celtics

Not saying they (you) are the same people.

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Are you sure this is right? I've read that it's better for PG to extend now verses after next season so he will get more money in the long run.

It really is dependent upon if Ainge is willing to take a risk and rent him for a year and convince him to stay. Ainge has the assets to either rent him or sign him long term. Indy knows they can't get anything better than that Nets & Lakers pick.

They don't want Love
They don't want Randle, Ingram or Clarkson
They don't want Porter

They are waiting until this weekend...just my opinion.

I don't know where you read that, but that source is wrong

This is why it's better for PG to take extension now.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/246460/Paul-Georges-RE-Would-Be-

Yes, but as I've said about 50 times now, the Celtics can not give him that extension and sign Hayward, unless they trade all of the following players to create cap room:

Bradley
Crowder
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Rozier
IT

or Horford and 1-2 of those guys, depending on which.  Neither is an option, so that's why such an extension isn't happening.

The extension that Jim says would be bad for George would have him make his contracted amount next season, about $24 million the following season, and $25 million in season 3, which is far worse than he'd do in free agency.  But that's the only extension George could sign given our cap space.