Author Topic: If you were a max FA, would you ever sign for less?  (Read 713 times)

If you were a max FA, would you ever sign for less?
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:15:57 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I think about this a lot: If I were a max-level free agent entering or in my prime, and I could either A) demand the max, no matter what, or B) take a lucrative non-max contract, and give my team better cap flexibility... maybe I would opt for Choice B.

Easy for me to say, but think about it - even if Hayward signed for $25M a year instead of the absolute max (closer to $30M), that's a significant amount of leeway toward pulling off this rumored PG trade or any other significant team building exercise.

At what point do FAs of that caliber say, you know what? I'm going to make more money in a year than many do in a lifetime. I'll put it away and live below my means. The team can sign better talent and if we succeed I'll be immortalized - not to mentioned compensated for.

I get this is capitalism and these guys look out for their best interests and so on - and I don't blame them for a moment. Can you guys think of any example of a FA - especially one changing teams - who said, "Shave off a couple mil from that max contract so y'all can get me a ring."
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens