Author Topic: BS gets robbed for COY  (Read 1834 times)

BS gets robbed for COY
« on: June 27, 2017, 08:05:11 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

Cs won the Eastern Conference - doing so with only 5'9" Isiah and a group of hard working players.

Enough said.

Re: BS gets robbed for COY
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I agree!!!!!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
D'Antoni is deserving of the award and we already knew Stevens wasn't going to win since he wasn't in the top 3. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:19:14 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Why give a crap about these awards - they mean nothing except that when you win something you think you deserve more money.  I know Brad's a great coach and we're lucky to have him and that's all that's important to me.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 08:28:35 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
D'Antoni is deserving of the award and we already knew Stevens wasn't going to win since he wasn't in the top 3.

Which begs the question; why wasn't he in the top 3?  Can any other coach make a better argument?  Cs won the East.  What were the odds of that happening, I wonder.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 08:32:48 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
What I don't understand is how Spoelstra placed in the top 3. His team is not without talent and as hot as they were at the end of the season, their early season struggles should be part of the calculus. When all is said and done, they didn't make the playoffs! I think Spoelstra is a really good coach, but how can you not give Stevens credit for earning the no. 1 seed in the East?

Stevens will get it next year. The Celtics should improve upon their record if they sign another max player, and people will remember this season's playoff run in next year's voting. That is, as long as the Heat don't also sign a freakin' star.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 08:33:07 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

D'Antoni is the Don  Nelson of his era: imaginative, fun and an offensive genius.
He seems to excel when given the players that fit his system.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 08:55:34 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Which begs the question; why wasn't he in the top 3?  Can any other coach make a better argument?  Cs won the East.  What were the odds of that happening, I wonder.
The Boston Celtics have been a playoff team for 3 seasons in a row now, and won 48 games and finished second last season (and that's before signing the top FA on the market last offseason). They were expected to do well, and finishing on top of the East is not any sort of an extraordinary achievement for this team.

For what it's worth, Vegas had the Celtics' over-under at 51.5 wins, which was good for second in the East and fifth in the entire NBA.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/vegas-releases-2016-17-nba-season-overunder-win-totals-for-every-team/
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 09:09:44 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I think it's absurd that Stevens didn't get top 3 consideration, definitely should have been there over Spo.
That being said I also feel the "expectation" argument is complete horses***. Pop was the coach of the year, and should be year after year. I think meeting expectation and having longevity says a lot about a team and it's coaching.
This drives me INSANE in the NFL, Bill is obviously the coach of the year, every year, but has only won the award two or three times because it is "expected" the Pats will do well. Give me a break.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 09:12:20 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
What I don't understand is how Spoelstra placed in the top 3. His team is not without talent and as hot as they were at the end of the season, their early season struggles should be part of the calculus. When all is said and done, they didn't make the playoffs! I think Spoelstra is a really good coach, but how can you not give Stevens credit for earning the no. 1 seed in the East?

Other than GS i don't remember any other team getting that hot. Especially not a team with this kind of roster.

Spoelstra lost Boss and Wade in one summer. Of course the team would struggle! And yet he found a way to turn the 11-30 into 41-41 tied with the Bulls (you know Rondo,Wade,Butler Bulls)
They finished 2 wins below the 5th Hawks!!! I don't think he deserved it more than D Antoni but he should be in the top3

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 09:20:04 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think it's absurd that Stevens didn't get top 3 consideration, definitely should have been there over Spo.
That being said I also feel the "expectation" argument is complete horses***. Pop was the coach of the year, and should be year after year. I think meeting expectation and having longevity says a lot about a team and it's coaching.
This drives me INSANE in the NFL, Bill is obviously the coach of the year, every year, but has only won the award two or three times because it is "expected" the Pats will do well. Give me a break.
Doesn't really matter how you feel. The COY has always been the award for the coach of the team that performed the highest above preseason expectations -- just the way the MVP is the award for the player that was most indispensable to his team's success. These distinctions have never been the awards for the most talented coach/player.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 09:20:30 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

The Boston Celtics have been a playoff team for 3 seasons in a row now, and won 48 games and finished second last season (and that's before signing the top FA on the market last offseason). They were expected to do well, and finishing on top of the East is not any sort of an extraordinary achievement for this team.

For what it's worth, Vegas had the Celtics' over-under at 51.5 wins, which was good for second in the East and fifth in the entire NBA.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/vegas-releases-2016-17-nba-season-overunder-win-totals-for-every-team/
None of which speaks to whether or not Stevens should have been a finalist.

IMO, the primary reason the Celtics were supposed to do well and win 50+ games was because of Brad Stevens. It's not like Vegas was unaware that he was our coach. Our lone superstar is a midget point guard, and the rest of the team is comprised of role players. To win 53 games and the top seed in the East is nearly a miracle with this roster.

Al Horford wasn't the top FA last season in any regard. That's a preposterous statement.

Cleveland only won 51 with a vastly superior roster.

IMO, the only coach better than CBS is Popovich, and he's starting to look and sound like Randy Quaid or the Unabomber. We have the best young coach in the league.