Author Topic: 0-time ROM is ROY - makes perfect sense  (Read 1004 times)

0-time ROM is ROY - makes perfect sense
« on: June 27, 2017, 03:08:15 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Rookie of the month
November
E  Joel Embiid
W  Jamal Murray

December
E  Joel Embiid
W  Buddy Hield

January
E  Joel Embiid
W  Marquese Chriss

February
E  Dario Saric
W  Yogi Ferrell

March
E  Dario Saric
W  Buddy Hield

April
E  Willy Hernangomez
W  Tyler Ulis

Brogdon was the ROY but didn't manage to be ROM (of the East) in any of the 6 polls. It is funny how the award goes to him. How can a guy be the best over the 6 month period and not be the best East rookie in any of those 6 months? Sounds like a joke to me. Maybe the ROM is just worthless as it is. Sure Brogdon did well, and I like his success as a 2nd rounder. He was playing as a role player next to Giannis and went to the playoffs. That was as I kept reading news the biggest thing why he trumped Šarić in the voting.
While I generally like the win totals argument (that's why WB is not my MVP choice) I don't think is sits that well here. If you switch MB for DŠ does Philly make it above Chicago? If Brogdon had to be his teams 1. violin for 2/3 months would he have done as well playing the point without Giannis? Would he make the playoffs?
Dario was the 76'ers leading man for the last 3 months (without Embiid) on a significantly less talented squad. He was their number 1 guy. To me, you have to factor in that workload and role in the voting. But then again, who will say anything if a Euro is snubbed, American media? American coaches, players? Dario, we are in America after all, you'll kick their butts later.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: 0-time ROM is ROY - makes perfect sense
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:15:59 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
It makes sense .....
It is not like there is someone that collected ROM awards.

Embiid could have but he didn't play enough. The rest had a good month enough to get them the ROM but the rest of the year were average if not bad.

Brogdon  had a good overall year. He never showed all star potential like Saric for example during his month but he was never bad too.

It was though a weird season for the ROY award....

Re: 0-time ROM is ROY - makes perfect sense
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:07:46 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Tyler Ullis won 1 Rookie of the Month honor. Is he more deserving than Brogdon? I do not even think you would consider him above Jaylen.