Author Topic: How impactful can D'angelo Russell be for the Nets?  (Read 3054 times)

How impactful can D'angelo Russell be for the Nets?
« on: June 26, 2017, 10:44:51 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Just want to hear some opinions. Some Laker fans feel that he can do very well with them, but what do you guys think?

Re: How impactful can D'angelo Russell be for the Nets?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 10:53:35 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Meh. Nothing special.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 10:56:56 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think Kenny Atkinson is exactly the kind of coach he needs. Hopefully, he'll be more focused away from Hollywood and takes this opportunity in front of him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 11:15:39 PM »

Online Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
How much impact did he have in LA?

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 11:19:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He'll have no more impact this season than Lopez did last season, which is good for us. However, he is still only 21, so in the long run I think he could definitely become a solid player.

Away from all the LA hoopla (although Brooklyn/NYC isn't too much better) he should be able to be a tad more focused.

Either way it will be very unlikely that it changes the value of the Brooklyn pick
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 11:23:24 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
He'll have no more impact this season than Lopez did last season, which is good for us. However, he is still only 21, so in the long run I think he could definitely become a solid player.

Away from all the LA hoopla (although Brooklyn/NYC isn't too much better) he should be able to be a tad more focused.

Either way it will be very unlikely that it changes the value of the Brooklyn pick
agreed.  Lopez is the better player and they stunk with him last year.  Nets will stink again but with a prospect that was cast off for a rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 11:42:04 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Blake Bortles had all the tools in college - but without the supporting cast he got some bad habits: started playing scared, quick dump passes, and not using the arm that made him so good, as much. Although who did he have to throw it to, right?

D'Angelo Russell will be out of the league entirely within five years. Running the Nets is way too much to ask of someone with his maturity level. And he will get used to losing; he will get used to trying to do too much on offense, and so his defense is going to suffer. He is too young for the role they want him to fill, and they are going to ruin him.

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 12:14:49 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

agreed.  Lopez is the better player and they stunk with him last year.  Nets will stink again but with a prospect that was cast off for a rookie
Lopez is a very rare player..a center (7'6'' wingspan and 9'5'' standing reach) that stretches the floor and shoots very good percentages. The Nets were without Lin for awhile but they did go on a run at the end of the year and that is only because they have an x factor in Lopez. Take away Lopez and put a PG/SG and the team will be much worse even if the gurad scores 24ppg on decent percentages. Lopez opened the lanes, stretched the floor, and kept the paint open.

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 03:21:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Lin's better.  They might be able to play a dynamic two point guard line up at times with Lin moving over to the two.

I think he'll help. If Lin's healthy all season, they may be able to get into the thirties.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Russell will be very good in the long term, but will do nothing for the win column next season, which is really the only season that matters at this point in time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 03:46:15 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I watched quite a bit of DA Russ the last couple seasons as he was on my dynasty fantasy hoops team and I wanted to have a good eye on what I had in him.

As a guy who was rooting for him yet also with a critical eye, I think he showed a solid amount of promise.  He had a good amount of moments where he looked like he was really understanding the NBA game, but also had highly inconsistent moments although not many more than you'd expect from such a young guard.  In his rookie season, he didn't get a lot of burn until the end of the season and then he started to look good.  Then last season, he also had his minutes held back for most of the season (< 30 per game through February), but averaged 33mpg in March and April after Lou Williams was traded at the trade deadline.  I'm interested to see how he can develop if he can consistently get 30+ mpg on a team as the lead point guard.  I'm pretty optimistic about his future as a player. 

Side note:  I ended up trading him + Ben Simmons for Demarcus Cousins near the trade deadline and won the title.  So I would say my optimism for DA Russ is pretty unbiased since he's no longer on my team.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 03:53:08 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Lin's better.  They might be able to play a dynamic two point guard line up at times with Lin moving over to the two.

I think he'll help. If Lin's healthy all season, they may be able to get into the thirties.
No way in hell is a team whose best player is Jeremy Lin getting 30 wins.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 03:58:13 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Lopez is a very rare player..a center (7'6'' wingspan and 9'5'' standing reach) that stretches the floor and shoots very good percentages. The Nets were without Lin for awhile but they did go on a run at the end of the year and that is only because they have an x factor in Lopez. Take away Lopez and put a PG/SG and the team will be much worse even if the gurad scores 24ppg on decent percentages. Lopez opened the lanes, stretched the floor, and kept the paint open.
Which goes to my point.  Nets will be bad.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Considering how troublesome he was for the Lakers, and the way Magic labeled him pretty much as a looser, and very selfish...Not too good.

The Nets should be worse this year than last. Have the fans ever fired an owner?

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 10:19:29 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't think the Nets are better with Russell instead of Lopez. They had a couple of decent young guards last year.

I think the Lakers were desperate to unload Mozgov's contract, to clear cap space for the next few years. And Russell was expendable because they were getting Ball. He was probably the player the Nets wanted.