Author Topic: Mike Giardi: George's Camp Thinks Celtics Are A GREAT Fit (Short & Long Term)  (Read 8774 times)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It's almost certainly an either/or on PG and Hayward. Acquiring both puts us in too much of a bind financially, and no matter what schemes people concoct, the Celts aren't an organization that's going to pay a fortune in luxury tax.

I agree that there is really no feasible way to keep IT/Horford/Hayward/George long term, but I do think Horford could easily be moved NEXT offseason for a much cheaper center option. He only has two more years before he can opt out, so even if he isn't moved, he isn't necessarily going to be with us long-term. Until then, I will enjoy what he continues to do for our franchise.

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think Salty said the extend and trade scenario is impossible, not the general George + Hayward scenario, which is certainly possible. Granted, he also has said that it's virtually impossible to happen due to cap and luxury tax implications.

I, respectfully, disagree. There seems to be quite a bit of smoke about Danny wanting to pair a star free agent (Griffin or, more likely, Hayward) with a George trade coming after the fact, and the timing seems to suggest this, too. And that kind of swing/wing heavy lineup seems right up Brad's alley - IT, Brown, Hayward, George, and Horford with Rozier, Smart, Green, Tatum, and Zizic off the bench.

But I don't think it's as farfetched as some make it out to be. If Danny plays his cards right, we could only be carrying 4 max or near-max contracts for two years, surrounded mostly by high-level rookie scale contracts in Brown, Zizic, Tatum, 2018 Brooklyn pick, etc. and ring-chasing vets on minimum or smaller deals. That's certainly doable, especially by our owners who have been willing to pay for a winner in the past. Also, by controlling the timing, it still should be possible to avoid the repeater tax down the line.

The real problem would be when Brown, Tatum, and the others are up for new contracts, which would be right about when PG, Hayward, and Al are up, too, meaning that would force us to pick and choose who to keep.

So, I mean, like any big trade, it's unlikely that everything falls in line just right to make it work, but it's certainly not as impossible as many are making it seem. I think the owners are agreeable if Danny could pull it off.

EDIT: And this is all assuming that we max IT out, too, which I think is far from a certainty in this scenario with two big scorers in George and Hayward, let alone his injury that could limit him and decrease his cost next year. I mean, honestly, I really hate the fit of IT with that hypothetical lineup anyways.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:13:03 PM by jpotter33 »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
While unlikely, getting both is possible. Ownership would just have to pay a kabillion dollars in luxury tax after  next season. Not sure how willing they are to do that.

That's the question. But, Wyc has made a ton of money without paying the tax, and the team's stake in CSNNE pays dividends without being subject to revenue sharing. Who knows, maybe the owners are willing to invest in the team, even at a loss. After all, the team is run by venture capitalists, and nothing improves franchise valuation like winning.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
Swing for the fences, I say. Sign Blake Griffin on Day One of Free Agency, then go get PG13 for Bradley, Crowder and 2 picks. Celtics can win the East and compete for a title.

IT4 depending on health can get a new deal for less than max or traded. A team with either Hayward or Blake and PG13 does not need a score first PG. I think IT4 will take less than max. I am concerned about his hip. Keep Rozier and Smart as viable PG options. I think Brown, Tatum and hopefully 18 Nets pick will all be future studs. Ojeyle is going to be a real stud as well. Could be the steal of the entire draft.

Go Celtics

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
As long as we don't give up too much in return for George without an assurance from him that he'll stay in Boston, I'm still okay with a potential one-year rental. Let's say we sign Hayward and acquire George this summer. Not only does that make us much better on the floor in 2017-18, but it buys us a year to see if any of the young guys - particularly Brown, Tatum and Smart - show that they're ready to play at an all-star level in 2018-19. If that happens (I'd say at this point that Brown is the most likely), the thought of then turning around and trading away IT, Hayward, Horford or George next summer is much more palatable. I like what both IT and Horford bring to the table, but we can certainly win #18 without one of them.

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
As long as we don't give up too much in return for George without an assurance from him that he'll stay in Boston, I'm still okay with a potential one-year rental. Let's say we sign Hayward and acquire George this summer. Not only does that make us much better on the floor in 2017-18, but it buys us a year to see if any of the young guys - particularly Brown, Tatum and Smart - show that they're ready to play at an all-star level in 2018-19. If that happens (I'd say at this point that Brown is the most likely), the thought of then turning around and trading away IT, Hayward, Horford or George next summer is much more palatable. I like what both IT and Horford bring to the table, but we can certainly win #18 without one of them.

Retweet

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
While unlikely, getting both is possible. Ownership would just have to pay a kabillion dollars in luxury tax after  next season. Not sure how willing they are to do that.

That's the question. But, Wyc has made a ton of money without paying the tax, and the team's stake in CSNNE pays dividends without being subject to revenue sharing. Who knows, maybe the owners are willing to invest in the team, even at a loss. After all, the team is run by venture capitalists, and nothing improves franchise valuation like winning.

What about the new GE contract?

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The truth is, I love Isaiah and hope we keep him long term.

And frankly, I think we'll be able to keep him around 3/84M (which is like Westbrook's deal).

I truthfully don't think another team would offer him a 4-year Max so he may be willing to accept it too, especially since he seems to love Boston and if we add stars around him.. I mean he did say he'd be willing to halt extension talks if it meant first adding stars in FA or trades.

But yeah I doubt IT gets a max or a super max from us, as great as he is as a scorer.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
It's almost certainly an either/or on PG and Hayward. Acquiring both puts us in too much of a bind financially, and no matter what schemes people concoct, the Celts aren't an organization that's going to pay a fortune in luxury tax.

I agree that there is really no feasible way to keep IT/Horford/Hayward/George long term, but I do think Horford could easily be moved NEXT offseason for a much cheaper center option. He only has two more years before he can opt out, so even if he isn't moved, he isn't necessarily going to be with us long-term. Until then, I will enjoy what he continues to do for our franchise.
Easily? Maybe not. Kevin Love is younger, a better player, has 3 years on a cheaper deal, and CLE can't trade him.

It would be quite a gamble to put yourself in a situation where you had to trade Horford, and even then, you're taking salary back.

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Easily? Maybe not. Kevin Love is younger, a better player, has 3 years on a cheaper deal, and CLE can't trade him.

It would be quite a gamble to put yourself in a situation where you had to trade Horford, and even then, you're taking salary back.

I think the Celtics could get rid of the Horford deal with two years on it, unless his play takes a massive dip next year and/or he has a serious injury. Even though it's a lot of money, it's only two years and Horford is still a very reliable, productive player who can play in a lot of systems.

The Cavs can easily trade Love. The problem is they want a win-now star in return, and teams trading a star usually don't want a high-priced vet back. They want young players and draft picks.

What the Celtics may be doing is timing their young players timetables with their vets. Horford will expire when Brown is due. Hayward (hopefully) will expire when Tatum is due. The two potential stars we draft in 2018 (hopefully) will expire when around the same time, give or take a year, as George (hopefully) and Thomas, depending on what kind of extensions they sign.

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Even if we don't land him, I really hope neither Cleveland or Washington land him LOL.

But it will probably happen unless another team not named Lakers jumps into negotiations real quick
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think a deal for George and Hayward is very possible, provided the right players get dealt--namely Bradley and Crowder--and enough players are renounced.

Take a look at the recent salary figures (just google them), and figure it out for yourself.
The results are close, and filling out the roster might put them a bit over the cap, but  with a Championship in sight, Wyc isn't going to get in the way.

Just don't think beyond next year. Take it a year at a time. Things can change.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
here is the latest i have seen on this topic. take it for what you will:

Adam Kaufman ✔ @AdamMKaufman
Take this FWIW: Hearing #Celtics in position to deal 4 George with 3-yr ext in place, but will depend on signing Hayward 1st. Lotsa dominos.

Follow
 Adam Kaufman ✔ @AdamMKaufman
I'm told #Celtics offer to IND for George is LAL/SAC pick from PHI, '19 MEM OR LAC pick, Crowder, $$ filler (Zeller pop name, Bradley poss).
2:07 PM - 27 Jun 2017
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva