Author Topic: Steven Kyler: Pacers not eager to send George to LA  (Read 4154 times)

Re: Steven Kyler: Pacers not eager to send George to LA
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 06:11:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Frankly, I think a lot of posters are letting themselves believe in things that aren't going to happen.  The Celtics aren't getting George and Hayward.  That's crazy talk, because the Celtics operate on a budget, and maxing both of them doesn't fit into it.

The Celtics also are unlikely to trade for George, because ultimately the Pacers want too much for a player who's a 1-year rental, and that is the type of trade Ainge isn't will to give up a lot for.

It'll be Hayward or nothing, everyone.  Prepare yourselves.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 06:11:55 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Kyler also said today that he's hearing that the C's plan with George is only to trade for him if A) they can get another big name in free agency (Hayward or Griffin), or B) his price is low enough that it makes sense even for a one year gamble. Obviously in situation A they're willing to pay a bit more for him, since they think it'd be really hard for him to walk away from a superteam to LA.

If these reports are true, then I'm betting they already have a conditional trade offer on the table for if we ultimately do sign a Hayward or Griffin. I could see something like a three way deal where AB and/or Crowder get shipped off to another team (such as Denver, Portland, Philly etc.) for picks that go to Indy, along with something like the LA pick or both the Memphis and Clippers picks.

It's a bit risky to assume he'd still be there while we sort out our situation. Even if tentative terms were agreed to, you can't really expect Indy to pull him off the table until July 8th when the free agent moratorium ends - that would be a disservice to their franchise. Another team can easily swoop in with a tempting offer.

You can also still trade for PG and open up max space if we send out Crowder and AB and wouldn't having PG in the mix already be more enticing to free agents?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 06:19:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Frankly, I think a lot of posters are letting themselves believe in things that aren't going to happen.  The Celtics aren't getting George and Hayward.  That's crazy talk, because the Celtics operate on a budget, and maxing both of them doesn't fit into it.

The Celtics also are unlikely to trade for George, because ultimately the Pacers want too much for a player who's a 1-year rental, and that is the type of trade Ainge isn't will to give up a lot for.

Co-sign

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 06:37:03 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I agree with most of this, but I have a few disagreements.

1. Don't agree it's Hayward or nothing. I think it will be Hayward, Griffin or a trade for George (we would have the cap space to extend George if it was just him we added)
2. What rumor makes you think that the Pacers are asking too much for George? The most concrete rumor I heard was the Pacers rejectin LA's offer of Randle and two late firsts.
3. If the price is low on a one year rental for George I could see Ainge biting, and frankly not extending George is the only way I see us getting a max guy then trading for George.
4. I know the luxury tax numbers would seem onerous but the Celtics haven't shied away from paying the tax in the past. Sure it would be a huge tax bill in the future if we kept everyone but it is possible they could pay a huge tax now then move some guys to clear things up.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 06:55:15 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think the Pacers know they need to move him this summer.  if they wait till the trade dead line they're likely to get a back up player or two and a few 2nd rounders.   Two late firsts and Randell will look really good then.  I can see Boston offering up the LAC+MEM 2019 firsts and Bradley + Crowder.  We need to make space for more playing time for Brown and Tatum and trading Bradley and Crowder does that.   Even if we don't trade for George I see Bradley and Crowder involved in some sort of trade.  Maybe a sign and trade for Griffin. 

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 06:55:46 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think the Pacers know they need to move him this summer.  if they wait till the trade dead line they're likely to get a back up player or two and a few 2nd rounders.   Two late firsts and Randell will look really good then.  I can see Boston offering up the LAC+MEM 2019 firsts and Bradley + Crowder.  We need to make space for more playing time for Brown and Tatum and trading Bradley and Crowder does that.   Even if we don't trade for George I see Bradley and Crowder involved in some sort of trade.  Maybe a sign and trade for Griffin. 

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 08:12:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Freaking Lakers.  They'll get their guy; always do: Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Kobe, Shaq, Pau... 

LAL is the only franchise in all of sports that I think I would not run into the ground within 2 years as GM.  It's basically just manage the cap, suck for a few years, get the timing right on whichever FA you want, and strike.   They don't need luck, but of course they get that too. 

An under-discussed LUCK fact: the Lakers are the only team in the NBA in the last 3 years to move up in the draft (based on pre-draft order) via the lottery.  AND THEY DID IT TWICE.  The year they didn't move up, they stayed put based on their pre-draft position:

2014-15: 4th worst record; Got Pick #2
2015-16: 2nd worst record; Got Pick #2
2016-17: 3rd worst record; Got Pick #2

Disgusting.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

I agree that there is a zero percent change we get both players since it makes no sense roster or salary wise. If we strike out on hayward though i fully expect us to sign griffin or trade for a player. George? Idk, but there is no way we dont use our cap space this summer