Author Topic: Rubio still on the block - where does he end up  (Read 3763 times)

Rubio still on the block - where does he end up
« on: June 26, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Rubio still on the block - where does he end up
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 01:27:29 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Rubio and Cole Aldrich for  LaMarcus Aldridge?

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Rubio showed great promise early on.

But then he stayed static: his stats from his rookie year and from the last year are almost identical.

Now he is 26 yo with 6 nba seasons and any margin for improvement is gone + the fact that Minny tries to trade of him suggests a lot.

Looks like it won't be easy for Thibs to trade him.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
That is interesting though it leaves Minnesota completely point guard less and doesn't really cure their shooting issues and I don't really know what he does for the Spurs.  I mean really what team can really use Rubio?  Maybe coming off the bench for a team like the Wizards, Cavs, etc. that are really weak on the bench in that position, but those teams don't have anything to trade to Minnesota and I think they'd rather use the spot on someone else.  Maybe the Pelicans, especially if Holiday leaves.  That might actually work, though I have no idea what the Pelicans would send the Wolves.  I suppose Rubio wouldn't be a bad mentor for Fultz, Fox, Smith, etc., though I have no idea what the Sixers, Kings, or Mavs would actually send the Wolves in a trade, assuming of course the Wolves want some real value.  I mean the Sixers could send them Bayless and/or McConnell, but I'm not sure the Wolves would think that is enough.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 02:01:41 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'm of the opinion that Rubio is underrated. He's a great defender and an excellent passer. Would be a bad move bij Minnesota if they would give such a well balanced allround player away for peanuts. A swap with Jackson looks like a bad move for both teams.

Rubio is a facilitator for Wiggins and Towns. Jackson isn't able to that. Detroit on the other hand needs the pick-and-roll game with Drummond, Rubio is not really that guy.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm of the opinion that Rubio is underrated. He's a great defender and an excellent passer. Would be a bad move bij Minnesota if they would give such a well balanced allround player away for peanuts. A swap with Jackson looks like a bad move for both teams.

Rubio is a facilitator for Wiggins and Towns. Jackson isn't able to that. Detroit on the other hand needs the pick-and-roll game with Drummond, Rubio is not really that guy.
I agree about Rubio being underrated. Have always sort of wanted him to be a Celtic, though I'm not sure what I'd give up for him, especially with salary considerations.

Hopefully he goes to a team where his talents can be fully on display.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 02:11:53 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I don't know if Reggie Jackson wasn't fully recovered last year or had some other injuries he was dealing with or what.  But if he can get back to how he played in '15 and '16, well I would have been very intrigued had Minnesota been able to snag him.  Jackson, Butler, Wiggins, Towns seems like a fun core.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:15:39 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd rather have Rubio than Jackson, any day and on any team.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 02:54:58 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The Bulls have on these point guards on their roster

Rondo
 Cannan
 Carter Williams
 Cameron Payne
 Jerian Grant
 Zack Lavine
 Kris Dunn

And Valentine played like a point guard.

The Wolves should offer Patton the rookie they just selected for Grant and Payne. That would help both teams rosters become more balanced.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 02:56:43 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Doesnt he seem perfect for the Spurs?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 03:56:37 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Rubio played really well the second half of last season including 4 straight 20 plus points games.  He seemed to really start to click with coach Thibs, and has his best efg% of his career.

I think they should see what this Butler Rubio backcourt looks like first. They could be a terror defensively.  Rubio seems like has been around forever, but he is still 26.  Get another shooter in the lineup to help space the floor along with Towns and Wiggins.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 04:15:12 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Rubio played really well the second half of last season including 4 straight 20 plus points games.  He seemed to really start to click with coach Thibs, and has his best efg% of his career.

I think they should see what this Butler Rubio backcourt looks like first. They could be a terror defensively.  Rubio seems like has been around forever, but he is still 26.  Get another shooter in the lineup to help space the floor along with Towns and Wiggins.

I think a Butler/Rubio backcourt would actually be okay. Butler and Rondo seemed to fare pretty well - especially when Wade was out.

Ideally though, you want a 3 and D guy next to Butler. Jimmy's an underrated ball handler and a good facilitator. Chicago's best offensive lineups by a wide margin last season featured Jimmy playing point with shooters spreading the floor (Nikola, McDermott). Looks like Thib realizes that and wants to pair him in the backcourt with a shooter.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 04:22:24 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

The T-Wolves already have Dieng, Townes and drafted Patton from Creighton.  Trading Rubio would leave them no PG's other than Tyus Jones.  To me it doesn't make sense for them and it doesn't make sense for the Spurs.  They are trying to shed salary to sign a FA.  Rubio doesn't help there and neither does Aldrich....

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 04:54:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hopefully, not here.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
So they've hung onto Rubio all these years, and they've finally acquired some legit players for him to pass to, and NOW they want to get rid of him?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis