Author Topic: Idea - Time to trade Thomas  (Read 3836 times)

Re: Idea - Time to trade Thomas
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 01:10:48 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I can get behind this deal.  If we can get a young, cost-controlled PG for IT4 I say do it.  IT4 is gonna get a max deal.  If not from us, then from some other team.  If we were to get Hayward and PG13 IT4 would be the 4th max deal on this roster, which would cause the luxury tax to go into the stratosphere.  The 2008 big 3 was able to work financially because Rondo and Perk were on very cheap contracts while KG, PP and Allen were taking up the lion's share of the salary.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 01:14:35 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If Danny wanted to trade IT he would have drafted Fultz instead of Tatum.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
I see where the OP is coming from here. Aside from Brown, Tatum and our draft picks, IT is by far our most valuable trade asset (and you could argue that he's ahead of any of the others mentioned above).

Heading into the draft, I would've seriously considered moving him if we could've gotten a top 7 or 8 pick in this year's draft (similar to what Chicago got for Butler), and would consider doing so in exchange for a likely top-8 pick in the 2018 draft. I love IT's talent, heart and toughness, but I don't see him settling for less than the max, and I don't know that he's worth the max projecting into the future at that age and size. Of course we don't give him away for nothing, but if someone offers some real value, you have to consider it.

That being said, I also acknowledge the complexities of trying to land George and/or Hayward while also being open to trading IT. Ainge likely does need to choose one path or the other at some point (win now vs. a gradual build to a potential dynasty), and that point may be sometime soon.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 01:21:14 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
If Danny wanted to trade IT he would have drafted Fultz instead of Tatum.

Good point in terms of their abilities to take over games as a scoring guard. However, I don't think Ainge is wedded to an offense that features a relatively ball dominant guard as the lead scorer. If he genuinely thinks Tatum will have a better career than Fultz will, then I don't think the selection of Tatum is an indication that IT is completely off the block.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 01:24:12 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I do not think we are trading IT for the same reason we might get a discount on him when it comes time to pay....

The cool thing about having depth now is we can afford to let players walk for nothing.   We have draft picks etc to make up for it. 

Since IT got hurt I beat his 2018 year will not be as special as 2017.  So he might take a discount of like 20/25 million vs the 25/30.     

Rozier, AL, Brown, Tatum and Jae are all young and on solid deals.    Adding Al to that with a couple 1st rounders in the next two years we are set up to be very flexible.   Having 1st round picks to ad to players is very beneficial.   

I think we keep IT, Avery and Smart.   We make them very fair reasonable offers.   IF they want more money we could explore it around the trade deadline or sign and trade in the offseason.    At the end of the day its worth to keep all three point guards this year unless it makes up better to move them.   

I can see PHX taking IT back if we take Bradon Knight off their hands and maybe a future 1st.   Could be a good gamble "if" Knight can play ball still.  His ego must have taken a big hit last two years.   
Diggles

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 01:24:14 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I can get behind this deal.  If we can get a young, cost-controlled PG for IT4 I say do it.  IT4 is gonna get a max deal.  If not from us, then from some other team.  If we were to get Hayward and PG13 IT4 would be the 4th max deal on this roster, which would cause the luxury tax to go into the stratosphere.  The 2008 big 3 was able to work financially because Rondo and Perk were on very cheap contracts while KG, PP and Allen were taking up the lion's share of the salary.

So Hayward is going to sign with the expectation that IT is getting traded?  We all know that any discussion with Hayward during free agency will have IT as part of the picture.  Danny Ainge would literally need to lie about his long terms plans if he wants to trade IT and sign a max free agent.  Trading IT right after signing Hayward is a great way to destroy any team chemistry.  For arguments sake let's just assume that Hayward agrees to sign and is cool with an IT trade. 

Our next move is to trade for Paul George.  Paul George will then verbally commit to resigning with us even though IT is getting dealt BEFORE next season?  The thought of teaming with LeBron and Ball in LA won't seem like a better idea? 

This isn't NBA 2K where basketball logic is the only factor when it comes to trades/signings.  Our team instantly looks less appealing to any All-Star if IT isn't part of the equation.

Like it or not Isiah Thomas is part of the foundation if we are signing/trading for guys like Hayward or Paul George.

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

WE ARENT TRADING ISAIAH THOMAS
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
what about discussing what happened instead of what could or might happen.

apart from keeping the conversation more focused, it would be fun  to try something new.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23

So Hayward is going to sign with the expectation that IT is getting traded?  We all know that any discussion with Hayward during free agency will have IT as part of the picture.  Danny Ainge would literally need to lie about his long terms plans if he wants to trade IT and sign a max free agent.  Trading IT right after signing Hayward is a great way to destroy any team chemistry.  For arguments sake let's just assume that Hayward agrees to sign and is cool with an IT trade. 

Our next move is to trade for Paul George.  Paul George will then verbally commit to resigning with us even though IT is getting dealt BEFORE next season?  The thought of teaming with LeBron and Ball in LA won't seem like a better idea? 

This isn't NBA 2K where basketball logic is the only factor when it comes to trades/signings.  Our team instantly looks less appealing to any All-Star if IT isn't part of the equation.

Like it or not Isiah Thomas is part of the foundation if we are signing/trading for guys like Hayward or Paul George.

You're right, it's not NBA2K it's also a business.  What's a better business deal.  You sign Hayward, trade for George, then after all that's finished you trade Thomas for a young talented point guard.  You already have Horford, George, Hayward signed for the next 3 guaranteed.  You have the bird rights for Bradley for next year.  Hoping you can keep Smart for cheap money, but if not you have the young point guard you traded Thomas for.  Or signing Thomas to a max deal or close to it.  Lose out on Bradley and Smart.   

Like I said it's a discussion.  I'm thinking the line up I posted in the original post, is going to get us to the conference finals again and would have a better chance to beat the Cavs.  Are we going to win the NBA title with Thomas at the point, I say NO.

Yes, I like Thomas but the no defense hurts us, because defense wins titles.  I give the perfect example say we make it to the finals against the Warriors.

Celtics.              Warriors
Horford              Pachulia
George               Green
Hayward.           Durant
Bradley.              Thompson
Smart.                Curry

What team lines up better defensively and still has fire power?  A Celtics team with Thomas at the point or Smart or I'll say a rookie like Fox who's a lock down point who can score as well. 

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
what about discussing what happened instead of what could or might happen.

apart from keeping the conversation more focused, it would be fun  to try something new.

This is an idea or rumor board, what we're doing is what the board is for.  It would be nice to actually keep the past focus on the original post as just an idea and discuss it.  Not just insert generic, "This is dumb." "We're not trading Thomas."  It's an idea to discuss, if for the Celtics would this help, hurt, keep us the same, long term plan, we a win now or win later team.  Give an actual discussion to your post.