Poll

Are Europeans labelled as busts?

I am American, Rudy is right.
4 (20%)
I am American, Rudy is wrong.
7 (35%)
I am European/non-American, Rudy is right.
4 (20%)
I am European/non-American, Rudy is wrong.
5 (25%)
I am French, Rudy is right no matter what, he is the Kraken.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Rudy Gobert: "Bust potential goes automatically up 50% when you're from Europe."  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
https://twitter.com/rudygobert27

It was a funny tweet to me. Funny, but truthful, I thought after I first read it. Maybe it is cause I am from Europe, maybe cause it is true.

Let's see how many Euros were selected in the lottery in the last 3-15 years. If guys are selected as 26th or 43rd pick it is hard to call him a bust if he stayed in Europe and got more cash there so we will stick to the higher picks. Also, it is hard to evaluate guys that have been in the league for several months or just a few years.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili (5)- Bust
Darko Miličić (2) - Bust
Mickaël Piétrus (11) - OK role player, bit high of a pick, but not a bust.
Andris Biedriņš (11) - Bust, he did start 311/516 games but was only effective until the age of 22.
Fran Vázquez (11) - Bust by NBA standards, he never came. O.K.ish in Europe.
Yaroslav Korolev (12) - Bust, 34 games total.
Andrea Bargnani (1) - Bust
Thabo Sefolosha (13) - He did OK. started on a good OKC teams, not a bad outcome for no 13.
Danilo Gallinari (6) - Starter quality player. that is a good value for the 6th pick.
Ricky Rubio (5) - Low-end starter, underwhelming development.
Enes Kanter (3) - Bust - Backup level guy for the 3rd pick, not my preference.
Jonas Valančiūnas (5) - Low-end starter, will probably lose the job in the next 2/3 years
Jan Veselý (6) - Bust.
Alex Len (5)- Bust.

So, looking only at the lottery, Frank Ntilikina's (8.) draft place, we have 5 median outcomes, and 9 busts. Rudy isn't' looking smart so far...also scouts, GMs, and owners did a poor job selecting Euro talent.

Part 2 coming on later.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:01:36 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I don't know where you got Noah as a Euro player, but he isn't.

He was born in NYC to people of European descent, played HS ball at united nations international prep (in NYC,) played college ball at Florida, and was drafted.

The only thing Euro about him is his dual (technically tri-) citizenship.

That isnt a Euro prospect in my book.
#JKJB

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Joakim Noah is American.

Also, Brazil is not in Europe.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Don't know how you could leave Andrea Bargnani off this list.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Don't know how you could leave Andrea Bargnani off this list.

I was thinking this! Also I'm the first vote, bang!!

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The game is truly global now and with it you have far fewer misses and a result of expanded international scouting. Since 2013 the following foreign born/foreign blooded players have been drafted Giannis, Gobert, Adams, Schroder, Wiggins, Embiid, Saric, Nurkic, Jokic, Capela, Towns (has played for DR in global games), Porzingis, Hernangomez bros, Simmons, Bender, Maker, Zizic, Yabu, Skal, Hield, Murray, etc.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
I don't know where you got Noah as a Euro player, but he isn't.

He was born in NYC to people of European descent, played HS ball at united nations international prep (in NYC,) played college ball at Florida, and was drafted.

The only thing Euro about him is his dual (technically tri-) citizenship.

That isnt a Euro prospect in my book.
I stand corrected. I see his father playing tennis with french flag beside his name. Got that tattoo'd in my brain.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Wheres Kristaps? I would argue US players are just as likely to bust

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I disagree pretty heavily with your assessment on players.  It seems you are taking a very hard line approach to prove your point rather than looking at things realistically. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The game is truly global now and with it you have far fewer misses and a result of expanded international scouting. Since 2013 the following foreign born/foreign blooded players have been drafted Giannis, Gobert, Adams, Schroder, Wiggins, Embiid, Saric, Nurkic, Jokic, Capela, Towns (has played for DR in global games), Porzingis, Hernangomez bros, Simmons, Bender, Maker, Zizic, Yabu, Skal, Hield, Murray, etc.

It is deliberately deceptive to include guys like Wiggins and Embiid, who played basketball in America, in a discussion of foreign scouting and player evaluation.  What we're talking about is guys like Dante Exum who was picked before Smart, Julius Randle, Noah Vonleh, Elfrid Payton, Zach Lavine and Rodney Hood and whether that kind of a draft miss is more common than with guys who play in America.

Mike

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
I disagree pretty heavily with your assessment on players.  It seems you are taking a very hard line approach to prove your point rather than looking at things realistically.
Please elaborate. My metodology was looking back at lottery picks in the last 15-3 years. I corelates with Frank being selected 8th by the Knicks. I haven't made my point yet.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:13:21 AM by Androslav »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
After actually looking at the tweet I want to change my vote.  Do I think you are more likely to bust if you are from Europe?  No.  Do I think people think you are? Yes. 

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Bargnani isn't a bust, at least not the way I would define a bust. He was a big disappointment, no doubt, but a guy who scores 15-20 a game for several years and stays in the league a decade, even though is D was awful, isn't really a bust.

A bust is Gregg Oden, who barely even stepped foot on the floor, or Kwame Brown or Anthony Bennett, barely playing and putting up 4 points a game. Or Thomas Robinson (is he even still in the league?).

Just looking back a few years, I don't see that Euro players are any more likely to (totally) bust than American players.

I know this. Give me a Euro by the name of Doncic in next year's draft and I'll take my chances.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Please elaborate. My metodology was looking back at lottery picks in the last 15-3 years. I corelates with Frank being selected 8th by the Knicks. I haven't made my point yet.
Biedrins for example, most definitely not a bust.  I think you are underselling Valanciunas, Rubio, and a few others as well. 

Not all lottery picks are created equal.  There are very clear dividing lines.  Biedrins is 17th all time in winshares from 11th picks.  He is 5th all time in rebounds per game from 11th picks.   This is of course not accounting for his serious injury which basically ended his career.  Prior to that injury he had improved every single season and was coming off of a 12/11 season, which for a lottery pick is quite good, let alone the 11th pick in the draft. Biedrins is not a bust under any realistic evaluation of 11th picks, yet that is how you rank him.   

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Bargnani isn't a bust, at least not the way I would define a bust. He was a big disappointment, no doubt, but a guy who scores 15-20 a game for several years and stays in the league a decade, even though is D was awful, isn't really a bust.

A bust is Gregg Oden, who barely even stepped foot on the floor, or Kwame Brown or Anthony Bennett, barely playing and putting up 4 points a game. Or Thomas Robinson (is he even still in the league?).

Just looking back a few years, I don't see that Euro players are any more likely to (totally) bust than American players.

I know this. Give me a Euro by the name of Doncic in next year's draft and I'll take my chances.
I totally agree about Bargnani, sure he failed to live up to many other historical #1 picks, but it isn't like he wasn't effective for a long time.  And if you look at the top 10 from his draft, he probably goes 3 or 4 in a re-draft (depending on how you evaluate Roy) with only Aldridge and Gay clearly having better careers (again depending on what you do with Roy).  Only Redick would go ahead of him if you extended the range out to the top 20.  21-30 you have Lowry and Rondo and no one else that would go ahead of him in a re-draft.  So if you re-did the entire 2006 1st round, Bargnani still goes 6 or 7.  It is pretty hard to call him a bust given that.  Disappointment, sure, bust nope.