Author Topic: Jayson Tatum "The Slim Fundamental"  (Read 7130 times)

Re: Jayson Tatum "The Slim Fundamental"
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 08:18:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The comparison of Tatum to Duncan is ludicrous.

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Jayson "No he's not Channing" Tatum  :laugh:

Wow.  How original ::). Did you think of that all by yourself? ::)

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 10:31:18 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I think you're really underselling how athletic Tim Duncan was. He would regularly guard and shut down the other team's best offensive player, regardless of position. He was also super quick/bouncy.

Jaylen tweeted calling himself and Tatum 7/11 (their jersey numbers). He said something to the effect of "7/11 getting buckets 24/7." A fan added "#7 + #11 = Banner #18"

Duncan was not athletic. Never was. That's the reason he lasted so much longer and aged so much better than Garnett. When Garnett's athleticism failed him he fell off a cliff. Duncan never really did until that very final season in the playoffs his fundamentals is what carried him through.

Duncan was athletic. He just didn't use it much because his game was never reliant on athleticism. Dude moves like a guard in the perimeter.

No he wasn't.  TD was NEVER athletic.  He was slower and less athletic than all his competition in college and he was the same way in the league.  He was HIGHLY fundamental, compact in his movements/shot and able to out-execute his opponent.

I question whether you guys trying to call TD "athletic" even watched him play...

TP for grabbing my back here.

I can't believe people are actually arguing Duncan was this great athlete. He wasn't. Never was.

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 10:32:59 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
This kid is the Tim Duncan's of Small forwards.
:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Homerism runs rampant on these boards. Tatum is an iso scorer. He doesn't make his teammates better and he projects to be an average/ marginally above average defender.

There's nothing homerism about comparing Tatum to Duncan, because it's strictly based on fundamentals. Tatum was not a top-three pick because he's an outstanding athlete because he's not. He's a solid athlete with great size great length and outstanding fundamentals similar to Duncan in that regard.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 10:48:45 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Duncan was a Paul Pierce type athlete and a 7 footer.  He was highly coordinated with great footwork and decent quickness.  Kind of like Tatum.