Author Topic: Jayson Tatum "The Slim Fundamental"  (Read 7093 times)

Re: Jayson Tatum "The Slim Fundamental"
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Are you serious this video does nothing to prove your point look at every possession he scores on he just uses size and fundamentals and this is his rookie year he doesn't get any more athletic than that it's it's fine that he's not athletic he's still the greatest power forward of all time and that's okay.
Can you see how fast his feet move? Tatum's first step is good, but it is nothing compared to the way Timmy could move.

Athleticism isn't just about jumping high.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 03:55:14 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'll go with J-Smooth.  Because he has smooth moves in the post and on offense.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think he has earned a nickname yet prior to playing NBA minutes.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20

The infamous Josh Smith already owns that name unfortunately. Let's hope Tatum turns out to be a better pro than that.

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 06:21:21 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I think you're really underselling how athletic Tim Duncan was. He would regularly guard and shut down the other team's best offensive player, regardless of position. He was also super quick/bouncy.

Jaylen tweeted calling himself and Tatum 7/11 (their jersey numbers). He said something to the effect of "7/11 getting buckets 24/7." A fan added "#7 + #11 = Banner #18"

Duncan was not athletic. Never was. That's the reason he lasted so much longer and aged so much better than Garnett. When Garnett's athleticism failed him he fell off a cliff. Duncan never really did until that very final season in the playoffs his fundamentals is what carried him through.

Duncan was athletic. He just didn't use it much because his game was never reliant on athleticism. Dude moves like a guard in the perimeter.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 06:30:33 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

The infamous Josh Smith already owns that name unfortunately. Let's hope Tatum turns out to be a better pro than that.

Smith was anything but smooth. Dude was laying bricks with his shots.

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 07:41:17 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
How about calling Tatum and Brown Yin and Yang?

"In Chinese philosophy, yin and yang describe how seemingly opposite or contrary forces may actually be complementary,interconnected, and interdependent in the natural world, and how they may give rise to each other as they interrelate to one another." (Wikipedia)

One is the aggressive finisher the other the smooth shot creator, one wants to rip peoples head off, the other is more quiet, force vs skill... you know where I'm going  ;)
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 07:54:02 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I have a couple:

1.) Mr. I show up to my commitments Tatum

2.) "Prime Otto Porter"

3.) "Better face mask me or Ill make it rain"

4.) Robin

5.) "Wait that was my rotation?"

6.)" Bam chase down block."

7.) Sir Sportscience
#JKJB

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 08:03:53 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Jayson "No he's not Channing" Tatum  :laugh:

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 08:34:23 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Slim Fundamental and the Fast Twitch Kid

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 08:38:42 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think Tatum will be fine as a scorer.  And I think he'll be fine as a defender.

The biggest question for him will be whether he can be effective within the flow of the offense (and not be a ball stopper), which was his biggest issue at dook.  Either that or he'll have to be such a good offensive player that ball stopping will be acceptable.
Thats one of the few flaws in his game. IMO he will fix this issue.

He was only 205 pounds his freshman season and was the same the year before and the year before that aka jr year of hs....
Gaining legit lean muscle has been hard for him but I see it as a huge opportunity. No way does a lean and stronger(lower body, core, upper body) 220 pound Tatum go #3 in this draft. His physique and strength (lower body/core/ and upper body) is a huge factor in his ability to drive and finish at the rim and IMO may cause some of the ball-stops offensively because confidence in his driving/finishing.

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 02:22:39 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I think Tatum will be fine as a scorer.  And I think he'll be fine as a defender.

The biggest question for him will be whether he can be effective within the flow of the offense (and not be a ball stopper), which was his biggest issue at dook.  Either that or he'll have to be such a good offensive player that ball stopping will be acceptable.

He was only 205 pounds his freshman season and was the same the year before and the year before that aka jr year of hs....
Gaining legit lean muscle has been hard for him but I see it as a huge opportunity. No way does a lean and stronger(lower body, core, upper body) 220 pound Tatum go #3 in this draft. His physique and strength (lower body/core/ and upper body) is a huge factor in his ability to drive and finish at the rim and IMO may cause some of the ball-stops offensively because confidence in his driving/finishing.

I think he just needs to get to his move quicker, it will help the flow of the offense if he decides to attack right away or pass. Improving his 3 pt shooting will be helpful as well, because he will be deadly attacking closeouts.

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 04:03:34 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

I think he just needs to get to his move quicker, it will help the flow of the offense if he decides to attack right away or pass. Improving his 3 pt shooting will be helpful as well, because he will be deadly attacking closeouts.
TP  Completely agree and think Tatum will be a great triple threat(shooting, driving, passing). I have a working theory(take with grain of salt) as to what could be the  root cause for his ball-stopage...which possibly could be more of an issue from 3(further from the bucket/rim)

Why does he pause when receiving the ball, why does he take too much time to observe the defense when catching and holding the ball, why can't he just get to his move more quickly, and for a guy with his abilities& skills why was he not a triple-threat that flowed with an offense that featured 2 great 3-point shooters (Allen and Kennard and etc.)....(all rhetorical questions)

THE DRIVE part of the "triple-threat" includes quickly penetrating to other spaces on the floor (not just the rim) including the lane/ ft line/ paint/and other spots to create offensive advantages and force defenses to quickly adapt in order to expose....
IMO as of now he had a difficult time with this part of the triple-threat (driving and penetrating)  His foot injury made him miss time and included missing 8 games and could have put him behind.

Being a triple-threat(shoot, drive, pass) was difficult for Tatum, even though he possesses the skills, for physical reasons and then formed into mental reasons including confidence in his first-step especially from the 3-point line. He made it obvious when he was going to drive to the rim and he could have used the extra legs to finish.

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 07:52:06 AM »

Offline Th3M2n

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
I think you're really underselling how athletic Tim Duncan was. He would regularly guard and shut down the other team's best offensive player, regardless of position. He was also super quick/bouncy.

Jaylen tweeted calling himself and Tatum 7/11 (their jersey numbers). He said something to the effect of "7/11 getting buckets 24/7." A fan added "#7 + #11 = Banner #18"

Duncan was not athletic. Never was. That's the reason he lasted so much longer and aged so much better than Garnett. When Garnett's athleticism failed him he fell off a cliff. Duncan never really did until that very final season in the playoffs his fundamentals is what carried him through.

Duncan was athletic. He just didn't use it much because his game was never reliant on athleticism. Dude moves like a guard in the perimeter.

No he wasn't.  TD was NEVER athletic.  He was slower and less athletic than all his competition in college and he was the same way in the league.  He was HIGHLY fundamental, compact in his movements/shot and able to out-execute his opponent.

I question whether you guys trying to call TD "athletic" even watched him play...

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
This kid is the Tim Duncan's of Small forwards.
:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Homerism runs rampant on these boards. Tatum is an iso scorer. He doesn't make his teammates better and he projects to be an average/ marginally above average defender.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:42:38 AM by Jvalin »