Author Topic: Jayson Tatum "The Slim Fundamental"  (Read 7082 times)

Jayson Tatum "The Slim Fundamental"
« on: June 26, 2017, 03:57:36 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

An appropriate name for the time being until Jayson adds some muscle, but I'm in no hurry to see that. Since the reason he hurt his foot last year is that he was gaining weight too fast.

This kid is the Tim Duncan's of Small forwards. Duncan obviously bigger and stronger. But when I think about Tatum's game I can't do so without noting he gets it done with his Fundamentals and overall polish, not his speed and athleticism.

If you have another idea for a nickname Tps for good ones.

I'm also gonna use this thread to note all the different skills and moves Tatum already has and I'll post a video if I can find it.

Like did be you Know Tatum has a couple Dirk one legged step back in his game?

How about this Giles vs Tatum in high school, Tatum's has 28 points
https://youtu.be/9dYPQXw7RAI

Re: Jayson Tatum "The Slim Fundamental"
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:08:44 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
 Vrs Clemson there is two Fultz like moves in this clip one at 1:30 where he rips a spin move, splits two defenders and lays it in.

Then at 2:45 he gets in the post and uses his ridiculous length to go up and under on the opposite side tremendous move

.https://youtu.be/nGURfIKXaGE

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 04:17:46 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
 Here is the game versus Florida State and Isaac he scores on Isaac a couple of times.

At 3:35 that might be his best first-step quickness move I've seen. And the next move you get to see some of that Paul Pierce head fake jump shot he says he modeled his game after Kobe as well isolation scorer.

https://youtu.be/mXryQN8OOfk

This whole video was great it really shows his grab-and-go Potential from rebounding to fast breaks

https://youtu.be/nq3ZYnRaKbE
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:25:07 AM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Fundamental, he is.
Great feel for the game, he has.

Would still be nice if i saw more highlights of him attacking off the catch rather than constantly survey and slow the pace down.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:48:06 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm not great with giving nicknames even though I have plenty of them myself. Lol

Slim fundamental is a start but doesn't roll of the tongue easily, and I think it should be completely different than Duncan's.

Maybe a good idea is to have Jaylen Brown have an opposite nickname to Tatum since one is like the modern great athlete, and the other an old school feel to his game. Maybe animals that resemble this quality. Not sure. Hmm

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 10:17:13 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like it. From what I've seen which isn't much but I'm pumped for summer league, is he's more polished than most freshman, real solid foot work for the young fella!

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I think "Bumblebee" kind of fit his images..flying footwork, skillful, high character but true warriors
Isolations, Post-ups:Sting like a bee

PP will be Optimus ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:33:03 AM by playdream »

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 01:35:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I think Tatum will be fine as a scorer.  And I think he'll be fine as a defender.

The biggest question for him will be whether he can be effective within the flow of the offense (and not be a ball stopper), which was his biggest issue at dook.  Either that or he'll have to be such a good offensive player that ball stopping will be acceptable.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 02:04:50 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Fire and Ice

Fire = Brown
Ice = Tatum

or flop it....  Brown seems so calm, cool and collective.    Tatum seems similar but a little less of an edge.   Both thee guys could use a little more "Edge" to them. 
Diggles

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 02:40:34 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Fire and Ice

Fire = Brown
Ice = Tatum

or flop it....  Brown seems so calm, cool and collective.    Tatum seems similar but a little less of an edge.   Both thee guys could use a little more "Edge" to them. 
Fire and Ice

Fire = Brown
Ice = Tatum

Not bad. How about Batman and Robin. The Batman is to be determined Big Time motivation for these guys to see who's the true Alpha nobody wants to be Robin.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think you're really underselling how athletic Tim Duncan was. He would regularly guard and shut down the other team's best offensive player, regardless of position. He was also super quick/bouncy.

Jaylen tweeted calling himself and Tatum 7/11 (their jersey numbers). He said something to the effect of "7/11 getting buckets 24/7." A fan added "#7 + #11 = Banner #18"

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think you're really underselling how athletic Tim Duncan was. He would regularly guard and shut down the other team's best offensive player, regardless of position. He was also super quick/bouncy.

Jaylen tweeted calling himself and Tatum 7/11 (their jersey numbers). He said something to the effect of "7/11 getting buckets 24/7." A fan added "#7 + #11 = Banner #18"
I like Jaylen's rhyme. 7/11 is a pretty good starting point. Let's hope they follow through, both with the bucket getting and #18
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Duncan was not athletic. Never was. That's the reason he lasted so much longer and aged so much better than Garnett. When Garnett's athleticism failed him he fell off a cliff. Duncan never really did until that very final season in the playoffs his fundamentals is what carried him through.

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Duncan was not athletic. Never was. That's the reason he lasted so much longer and aged so much better than Garnett. When Garnett's athleticism failed him he fell off a cliff. Duncan never really did until that very final season in the playoffs his fundamentals is what carried him through.
He definitely was athletic. Not in the same tier of freak athleticism that we saw with Shaq and KG, but most people seem to forget that most 7 footers are far closer to Ostertag than to Shaq. Young TD had lightning quick feet as seen in heaps of videos. Here's one.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aAx5SoM2POM
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Are you serious this video does nothing to prove your point look at every possession he scores on he just uses size and fundamentals and this is his rookie year he doesn't get any more athletic than that it's it's fine that he's not athletic he's still the greatest power forward of all time and that's okay.