Author Topic: Carmelo could be bought out this summer. What price would you want him at?  (Read 5663 times)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He would join warriors or cavs if bought out.

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
He would join warriors or cavs if bought out.
Exactly
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The cavs problem is not offense. Adding Carmelo to love Irving and Lebron really doesn't help much unless it bench scoring.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Maybe for a minimum. I don't think he would improve Cavs that much. Too much isolation, not to mention he won't be a difference maker on defense.

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
Isn't Melo for lamarcus aldridge sort of a natural trade?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I feel like I should like that trade, but instead I hate it.

Can't imagine melo in San Antonio.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I would want him for at high price on another team. If he was 4-6 years younger I might think differently as he could still ball (score) then. Melo never was that good of a player in the first place, he was probaly a top 5 player for a year in his career, 2/3 years top 10 and that's it. Now he is old, spent, unmotivated and a weak defensively. He still is a good shooter and mature.
Melo had the frame, talent, fame, power, and youth to do almost everything in the NBA.
But, his uneducated or selfish move to force Denver to drop him in NY will cement his career. Knicks never (ok not never but in last 45 years, sans Riley era) had the knowledge and patience to build a good team. Melo stripped them of 4 starters and then he acted surprised/disappointed they can't compete. That is the biggest joke, an NBA all-star can't envision a team being weaker/depleted after losing 4 starters and future picks. Carmelo Einstein. He joined the shell of Amare Stoudmire to spread the narrative that he is joining another star, when in fact he was just joining NY city for his and his families business success. He signed his last deal forwardly knowing they will basically suck for years while also ignoring Chicago's great offer to join a much more talented team and to perhaps win his 4th series of at the time 11-year long career (14 and not counting that much more now).

We didn't need Melo 10 years ago (Big 3), 5 years ago (rebuild approaching) and now we need him even less. He was always a weak competitor, which is so funny since he was a killer scorer in the clutch. I guess that really confuses fans/observers. How could he be so good and yet bad at the same time?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:20:05 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I've been an Anthony advocate for awhile but no think there is almost no chance he would come to Boston if he is bought out.  The Clippers and Cavs are the clear front runners.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I said it earlier today in the Wade thread, but the league needs to do something about the buy-out rules and make them more similar to waived player rules where teams can bid up to an amount that they are willing to spend and that player goes to the highest bidder.

As it stands, Wade and Carmelo could both theoretically get bought out and join the Cavs for the vet minimum. Maybe a medically cleared Bosh can join the fun, too. That is just bs.
I think you've got a valid point.  buy-outs shouldn't work the same as free agency.  treating them like waived players would be a fairer treatment for all (except that player)

It wouldn't matter.  The Jazz were a contender, interested in Deron Williams, and had the cap room to claim him.  Since they were under the floor it actually would have saved them money.  His agent pressured them to let him clear waivers and sign with the Cavs.

Hmmm, that's right. Well, obviously that doesn't really sound above board either. Basically, it shouldn't really matter what the player thinks. He signed a contract and knew there was a possibility of him being 'traded' (this is slightly different). In some cases, this could actually work out financially for said player since he would get the buy-out amount and the highest bidder amount.

In Carmelo's case, it is highly unlikely he gets bought out this year with two years left on his contract. I will present another suggestion where maybe the league should go the MLB route (not something I say often) and be allowed to pay another team a portion of a player's contract to take him off their hands. If Carmelo is willing to be bought out, then he is willing to be traded.

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Melo would sign with the Cavs...no doubt in my mind
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I said it earlier today in the Wade thread, but the league needs to do something about the buy-out rules and make them more similar to waived player rules where teams can bid up to an amount that they are willing to spend and that player goes to the highest bidder.

As it stands, Wade and Carmelo could both theoretically get bought out and join the Cavs for the vet minimum. Maybe a medically cleared Bosh can join the fun, too. That is just bs.
I think you've got a valid point.  buy-outs shouldn't work the same as free agency.  treating them like waived players would be a fairer treatment for all (except that player)

It wouldn't matter.  The Jazz were a contender, interested in Deron Williams, and had the cap room to claim him.  Since they were under the floor it actually would have saved them money.  His agent pressured them to let him clear waivers and sign with the Cavs.
that shouldn't be permitted for waived players.  the system should be allowed to work as intended. 

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't see what LMA does for NYK?  They are already paying Noah a ton at Center, have a rising PF/C in Porzingis and Hernangomez is another one of their rising players.  I'd rather keep Carmelo and let him be unhappy.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't see what LMA does for NYK?  They are already paying Noah a ton at Center, have a rising PF/C in Porzingis and Hernangomez is another one of their rising players.  I'd rather keep Carmelo and let him be unhappy.

Plus the Spurs already have a top-3 wing meaning Melo either comes off the bench or plays 4 basically full-time. And like Carmelo Aldridge has a 15% trade kicker putting his salary up to around $50 million for the next 2 seasons.

I think the Knicks would happily dump Melo's salary for nothing before they'd take on another declining vet with a big $ deal.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I wonder if the Clippers, Knicks, and Redick would agree to a sign and trade deal with Redick going to NY and Anthony going to LA.  It seems likely that Redick is gone from LA and the Clippers definitely have a glaring hole on the wing (even if Redick comes back).  LA seems like an Anthony type of town and he gets along with Paul quite well.  That seems like a natural fit and a trade that would make sense (again assuming Redick would go to NY and NY would pay enough to get him and use him in the trade for Melo).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip