Author Topic: Jayson Tatum says player he compares himself to most is Paul George  (Read 4808 times)

Re: Jayson Tatum says player he compares himself to most is Paul George
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 02:34:51 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Who else likes Tatum potential/game over Jabari Parker and Brandon Ingram?
Definitely over Parker. Those injuries are devestating and Parker is truly awful at defense. I haven't watched enough Ingram to comment knowledgeably, but I like Tatum out of college more than I liked Ingram.
Tatum has some easy fixes with his body and shot that will clear up naturally IMO. Also, coming off the foot injury and missing the first 8 games and practices is so huge for a freshman to overcome but he did it and still put up good numbers.

IMO his shooting mechanics have some easy fixes and after that he could literally be a killer. Jabari and Ingram shot better from 3 but they were almost 20% behind him in FT%. I can see why DA and CBS took him because the verified shooting potential is there.

Tatum shot 85%FT on 4.8 attempts at Duke over 29 games
He also shot 88% on 8.7 attempts in 2015 Nike EYBL over 23 games.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 03:36:53 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Who else likes Tatum potential/game over Jabari Parker and Brandon Ingram?
Definitely over Parker. Those injuries are devestating and Parker is truly awful at defense. I haven't watched enough Ingram to comment knowledgeably, but I like Tatum out of college more than I liked Ingram.
Tatum has some easy fixes with his body and shot that will clear up naturally IMO. Also, coming off the foot injury and missing the first 8 games and practices is so huge for a freshman to overcome but he did it and still put up good numbers.

IMO his shooting mechanics have some easy fixes and after that he could literally be a killer. Jabari and Ingram shot better from 3 but they were almost 20% behind him in FT%. I can see why DA and CBS took him because the verified shooting potential is there.

Tatum shot 85%FT on 4.8 attempts at Duke over 29 games
He also shot 88% on 8.7 attempts in 2015 Nike EYBL over 23 games.
Yeah I'm really pretty confident Tatum will be a really good shooter. Ingram seems to have better length and playmaking ability. Tatum, however, is mo slouch in the length department and has a much better frame and foundation to add muscle too. Also I never really bought into Ingram as a shot creator. He never wowed me. Tatum looks much smoother and to me, he actually looks quicker. He gets a decent amount of separation. I think he's deceptively quick.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 06:32:30 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Hopefully the Paul George comparison means Tatum is looking to up his defensive intensity when he gets to the NBA.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 09:21:36 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
Hopefully the Paul George comparison means Tatum is looking to up his defensive intensity when he gets to the NBA.

I generally don't see the comparison, but I think this is where George sets himself distinctly apart from Tatum. George is a multiple All-Defensive player, and I don't see where Tatum's physical profile, defensive IQ, and his intensity (to borrow your phrasing) suggest that he can achieve similar success. I think his defensive ceiling is relatively average, but with the potential to cover multiple positions competently. Coach Stevens values that kind of versatility, so I can envision it working well in his system.

I think George was also (and is currently post-injury) a much more explosive athlete, and never struggled to utilize his quickness to breakdown defenders at the NBA level or finish in traffic. While it remains to be seen how well Tatum translates his isolation skills to the pros, his athleticism isn't exactly ideal for being the same type of scorer George panned out to be especially after he was given the reigns from Danny Granger in Indiana.

It's been said a few times in this thread and other threads and I largely agree with it, but his game could parallel Parker's production at the NBA level, and I think we would all be pretty satisfied with that. My question is whether or not he can play the 4 because I think it would make his skillset that much more effective at the next level. Additionally, we could use a 4 and if he could fit an immediate need for our team that would be quite convenient.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 09:32:52 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642

He's actually a good defender.  He's not Jackson, but he was a plus on that end at Duke.  Decent quickness, uses his length well. 

We have reason to expect him to be a good two-way player in time. 

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 12:57:44 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He has a couple inches on Hill. He might be close to 6'9". Needs to add 20lbs.
He's only 205 pounds but looking at his frame you can tell he is the type of guy that can add some legit lean muscle. I think he will get more explosive and quicker as well...hopefully a lot.

He was 205 pounds over a year ago. He's definitely heavier than that now.
In an interview he said that before college he gained 20 pounds and that the doctors said that is the reason he injured his foot. The reporter asked what his current weight is and he said around 205. I'll try to find the link.

I think he is being very careful about gaining weight bc of the injury and maybe it's been hard for him to put the right weight on.
I agree that with his frame and build he should be heavier in a year but that's not what happened this past year. He is very tone and lean and his frame def looks like it will get ripped and can hold a great athletic build.

Inputting Tatum into the Boston Celtic's professional strength and conditioning program along with no classes and all the time for the gym should help him make yuuuge gains....especially since he stopped growing and is just 19.
I saw that interview and I could swear he said he is currently 210lbs.  Also, he said the injury was probably the result of gaining that 20 lbs. too quickly, so he has no trouble putting on the pounds, but like you said, it has to be the right kind of weight.

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 04:42:21 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Danny might be getting his idol now... Tatum could be learning from the very guy he models his game from. Amazing for his development

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 05:25:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Also, he said the injury was probably the result of gaining that 20 lbs. too quickly, so he has no trouble putting on the pounds, but like you said, it has to be the right kind of weight.

What is he wet toilet paper?   Hurt from gaining weight too quickly?   I have a bridge to sell you Surferdad if your interested.  JK