Author Topic: Steven Kyler: Rudy Gay could be plan B  (Read 4419 times)

Re: Steven Kyler: Rudy Gay could be plan B
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Rudy Gay for anything above vet min only makes sense in one scenario: one year of guaranteed $ after striking out on the major FAs we want. And even if he was willing to take an offer like that, coming back from an Achilles means we have almost no idea what he could contribute that year. It just doesn't seem to add up.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I find it funny that some would think there is a price that is right for a guy coming off a major injury. Many at CB are hypothesizing that not one team would trade for IT because he is injured but somehow the Celtics will give millions to a guy with an injury.

There is a better chance of Jordan Mickey being traded one for one for Porzingas than Gay coming to Boston...or at least a hope there is.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:47:43 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The only deal for Gay that makes sense is an Amir type contract 2 yr deal with team option for the 2nd year.

2 yr/ 15 per makes sense if you want to keep max cap space for the big free agent class of 2018

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 02:05:53 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Rudy Gay is a back up plan but it's a lot further down the list than plan B.

Plans:
1. Sign Hayward
2. Sign Blake
3. Trade for George (renegotiate and extend)
4. Sign Millsap (3 years or less)
5. Sign Gallinari (3 years or less)
6. Sign Gay (3 years or less)

The benefit of the last two is their lower than max contracts would allow us to bring back Olynyk. I think Gay could end up being a good buy low. If Stevens can get Gay to play within the offense, defend and play the 4, I think he could be an asset that appreciates while in Boston and can be moved later for higher return.

Gay might be a reasonable dollar, fewer year deal. The mid level is $8-9, so maybe he is a bit north of that, basically splitting the max slot with Olynyk. I might do a 1+1, but would go for a
2+1. As mentioned, he would make us better. It's Rudy vs Amir for crying out loud. Also a good wing mentor, him having been The Man, allstar, etc. as a wing. And we have 2 hopefully future allstar wings.

Gay opted out of a $14 million contract. He's not taking a short term deal at just north of the MLE.
He might have just wanted to get out of Sacramento.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 02:11:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
No way.

Danny will attempt to extend IT/AB/Smart if he strikes out on Hayward, Griffin, and/or trading for PG. No other major FAs make sense for more than one year. If we were doing something stupid like bringing in Rudy Gay at market rate, I would rather us just have absorbed Dwight Howard's contract. At least he fills a position of need.

And, seriously, how upset will people be around here watching Rudy Gay get major minutes while Tatum and Brown are riding the bench. It just isn't happening.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Rudy Gay shouldn't even be Plan Z, much less plan B.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 02:28:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Rudy Gay shouldn't even be Plan Z, much less plan B.

TP

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 02:30:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The only deal for Gay that makes sense is an Amir type contract 2 yr deal with team option for the 2nd year.

2 yr/ 15 per makes sense if you want to keep max cap space for the big free agent class of 2018
This is a good option, tp.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I don't think that's going to happen. They'll sign Hayward. Maybe trade for George.

Mainstream media still viewing Celtics as a minor team. They are a winning team that can blow everybody away with their assets. Ainge just has to pull the trigger.

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I think Rudy Gay is a back up plan but it's a lot further down the list than plan B.

Plans:
1. Sign Hayward
2. Sign Blake

The benefit of the last two is their lower than max contracts would allow us to bring back Olynyk. I think Gay could end up being a good buy low. If Stevens can get Gay to play within the offense, defend and play the 4, I think he could be an asset that appreciates while in Boston and can be moved later for higher return.

Gay might be a reasonable dollar, fewer year deal. The mid level is $8-9, so maybe he is a bit north of that, basically splitting the max slot with Olynyk. I might do a 1+1, but would go for a
2+1. As mentioned, he would make us better. It's Rudy vs Amir for crying out loud. Also a good wing mentor, him having been The Man, allstar, etc. as a wing. And we have 2 hopefully future allstar wings.

Gay opted out of a $14 million contract. He's not taking a short term deal at just north of the MLE.
He might have just wanted to get out of Sacramento.

Let's hope so... otherwise that was a dubious financial decision.

Hard to believe anyone is going to pay a slumping, severely injured Rudy Gay anywhere near that kind of money.

I guess he'd make an OK expiring contract for the C;s to trade at the deadline. But that's about it.

Even then, I'd rather spend that money for a short contract on a stopgap big if we can't land a star.

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 02:40:10 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I think Kyler was just looking at a list of upcoming free agents...Rudy Gay is a huge joke.

Would rather give the money to Millsap.

Ainge didn't pass up all these other deals and keep cap money for Rudy freaking Gay...Hayward will be here---Plan B is Griffin (who I bet ends up in Miami if we get Hayward).
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Plans:
1. Sign Hayward
2. Sign Blake

Roy once again thanks for bringing up all the good info. I had mentioned Gay as a potential back-up plan in another thread not knowing about the injury, I did know he opted out.

I wonder what the other options C's have, cause IMO they will spend to the cap this year before resigning IT or any others.

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 03:33:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

This is a good option, tp.
If Boston strikes out everywhere else and Rudy Gay comes in with the right attitude, grateful to be out of Sacramento, ready to work and OK with playing full time PF, then something like this makes sense. Give him a 1-and-1 where he feels the pressure to prove himself and also give the Celtics plenty of flexibility.

I'd be ok with it as long as he knew how the offense was going to operate.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 03:33:45 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I'm not trying to be flippant, but hasn't the teams he's left done better afterwards? 

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2017, 04:10:06 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
No, I think the Rudy Gay ship sailed about 4 years ago. I'd rather take on Carmelo's salary than make an offer to Rudy...and I really don't want to bring Melo to the C's.