Author Topic: My sign Hayward then trade for PG13 roster plan  (Read 8717 times)

Re: My sign Hayward then trade for PG13 roster plan
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2017, 06:18:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
More realistic scenario:

1. Celtics let KO, Zeller, Amir, Jerebko, Young, and Mickey walk clearing cap space
2. Sign Hayward to a max
3. Trade Bradley, Crowder, 2018 LA pick, for George
4. Use room exception and get min contracts to fill in the frontcourt with PF and C types.
#1 doesn't create enough space to make #2 possible. We need to trade Bradley, smart or crowder before signing Hayward.
Pretty sure it gets you within just a few hundred thousand. It may not be max but close enough.

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
More realistic scenario:

1. Celtics let KO, Zeller, Amir, Jerebko, Young, and Mickey walk clearing cap space
2. Sign Hayward to a max
4. Use room exception and get min contracts to fill in the frontcourt with PF and C types.
#1 doesn't create enough space to make #2 possible. We need to trade Bradley, smart or crowder before signing Hayward.
Pretty sure it gets you within just a few hundred thousand. It may not be max but close enough.
It gets close, but I would be shocked if Hayward took less than the full max.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 09:59:28 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The problem is George may be traded before the Celtics sign Hayward. Ainge may screw this up.

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 10:13:09 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The problem is George may be traded before the Celtics sign Hayward. Ainge may screw this up.

That is not a problem.
Hayward will be more likely to sign if we have George.

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2017, 10:56:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Ainge has thought through every angle of this far more than you or anyone else on this board.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2017, 11:05:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Ainge has thought through every angle of this far more than you or anyone else on this board.
He's probably thought of dozens of more angles than we've imagined  :P
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2017, 11:28:35 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
More realistic scenario:

2. Sign Hayward to a max

What's the deal with Demetrius Jackson? I know he's got a partial guarantee, but being lazy and not wanting to look it up, how close do we get to full max by cutting him and eating the $500K? Or if we trade him for no salary (trade exception?)?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 01:05:53 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
More realistic scenario:

2. Sign Hayward to a max

What's the deal with Demetrius Jackson? I know he's got a partial guarantee, but being lazy and not wanting to look it up, how close do we get to full max by cutting him and eating the $500K? Or if we trade him for no salary (trade exception?)?
I'm not a cap expert but I believe that a major part of the problem is that the team cap went up only to $99 million and not to the expected $101 million. Hayward's max went down by $600K because of this but our cap space went down by $2 million. If you trade Jackson for a future 2nd you're only going to save like $500K+ because the cap hold for an empty roster spot (below 13 players) is $800K+. I don't know if trading Rozier for a future pick gets it done. Certainly, trading Smart for a future 1st would. Trading Jackson may have already been factored into their Hayward calculations.

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2017, 10:06:19 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
More realistic scenario:

2. Sign Hayward to a max

I'm not a cap expert but I believe that a major part of the problem is that the team cap went up only to $99 million and not to the expected $101 million. Hayward's max went down by $600K because of this but our cap space went down by $2 million. If you trade Jackson for a future 2nd you're only going to save like $500K+ because the cap hold for an empty roster spot (below 13 players) is $800K+. I don't know if trading Rozier for a future pick gets it done. Certainly, trading Smart for a future 1st would. Trading Jackson may have already been factored into their Hayward calculations.
So how exactly do we trade a guy without getting salary back?  By trading to a team with cap room? 

Honestly, I think we better get used to the idea that WE may have to attach a pick for a team to help us in that way.

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Kyler seems to be suggesting that getting PG after Hayward or Griffin has been the C's plan all along from what he's hearing from NBA sources. He also seems to suggest that we'd only be willing to come close to Indy's trade demands if we get a FA onboard beforehand, because George alone doesn't get the C's past the Cavs, let alone the Warriors.

http://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/879320918862024704

http://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/879322318555709441

I can definitely see the logic here. Why add George and risk him potentially leaving unless you build a superteam around him and make it virtually impossible for him to leave? You have to think that Danny has received the "okay" from ownership about moving forward with this plan if these reports are true, because they'll be the ones footing the big bill for such a team.

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Would Zeller + Jerebko + massive trade exception convince Utah to let us have Hayward?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 12:13:40 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Would Zeller + Jerebko + massive trade exception convince Utah to let us have Hayward?
No, not a chance.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2017, 01:06:35 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
I can't wait until July 1st when I see or hear these words on the headlines:

"Gordon Hayward has agreed to terms to sign with the Boston Celtics with a $XXX 5-year max deal."

Followed by...

"The Boston Celtics have packaged in a blockbuster trade to send Player A, Player B, Player C, Player D, MEM pick, and LAC pick to Indiana in exchange for Paul George."

It will be the next biggest thing since the summer of 2007.  ;D :angel:

Just say a prayer this happens. They'll be in the finals vs the Warriors next year.

I just hope Ainge is on the same wavelength.

I'm guessing the Pacers are waiting for the Celtics deal after Hayward signs. They'll get Bradley and probably Crowder and a top no.1 pick, and George will be extended. It's hard for the Pacers to pass up that deal. The kind of 2 way players they like with low salaries.

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2017, 01:17:54 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
THis is never going to happen. It is one or the other. If we sign Hayward we are not getting George but if we miss out on hayward we will trade for George.

Makes zero sense after drafting tatum and brown

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
More realistic scenario:

2. Sign Hayward to a max

They'll be close by my numbers, but may go a bit over the cap filling the roster. They didn't draft all those numbers 2s for nothing! Normally, Ainge would have traded them for future picks.
Undoubtedly , Wyc will absorb a small cap hit for a team that will be favored to make the finals.

I don't think they need to deal Smart. Bradley and Crowder will do. They need to keep Smart and Rozier as PGs.