Author Topic: Ante Zizic the next big thing (video)  (Read 13116 times)

Re: Ante Zizic the next big thing (video)
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Obviously there is a lot to be determined about Zizic's transition to the NBA, but I see a lot of reasons for cautious optimism.

1. Size. He is legitimately big and strong at age 20.
2. Age. He is not some old experienced Euro coming over at 24, 25. He is 20, more than holding his own in a couple professional leagues over there.
3. Motor+attitude He's got it. As long as he quickly learns to stop hanging on the rim.
4. He seems to have nice natural touch around the rim, doesn't have to dunk, can bank it from a few feet out with either hand, seems comfortable with short hooks from either hand. I really like his decisiveness on offense; it seems like he knows where the defense is before he gets the ball, and which way he is going to spin and drive before he gets the ball.
5. Very high FG%, and mostly above 70% from what I could see for his FT%, which would bode well for at least developing a 15 footer for keeping defenses honest .
6. Moves a lot without the ball
7. Moves his feet well on defense, draft reputation was as a defender.

Start at 3:50 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwGD0yA89m4

Catch and shoot jumper, then an (ill advised) pump fake up and under that he bails himself out on with good touch.

On the video provided, start at 1:20 or so; nice 18 footer on the baseline when the defender gives him space.
https://youtu.be/As11kyuiP9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPS2O0zF6I
At 0:40 of this one, jumper from the mid-key when given space.

Same thing here, start around 0:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1HTfSZDDUw

Obviously there are some negatives/question marks.
-Will he have enough quickness to make those quick spin+drives in the NBA?
-A lot of his blocked shots look like they are from moving his feet well and staying with a guard, who then gets his shot stuffed. Moving his feet that well is great, but he seems a little ground bound to be a help shot blocker. But hopefully those feet mean he can be a post defender, switch onto smaller guys sometimes with pick and rolls, etc.

We'll see, but overall I'd say he was an intriguing prospect when drafted and the consensus seems to be he only made himself much more appealing during his Euro showing this last year.
TP and I'll routinely throw you more.

Unfortunately I still have not seen a LEGIT step-back, fade-away, or even turn-around. Does not mean he can't do it but the only jumpers I've seen him make(and there has been a lot of game tapes) are very random and are like the ones in the videos you cited....usually taken when wide open.

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Obviously there is a lot to be determined about Zizic's transition to the NBA, but I see a lot of reasons for cautious optimism.

1. Size. He is legitimately big and strong at age 20.
2. Age. He is not some old experienced Euro coming over at 24, 25. He is 20, more than holding his own in a couple professional leagues over there.
3. Motor+attitude He's got it. As long as he quickly learns to stop hanging on the rim.
4. He seems to have nice natural touch around the rim, doesn't have to dunk, can bank it from a few feet out with either hand, seems comfortable with short hooks from either hand. I really like his decisiveness on offense; it seems like he knows where the defense is before he gets the ball, and which way he is going to spin and drive before he gets the ball.
5. Very high FG%, and mostly above 70% from what I could see for his FT%, which would bode well for at least developing a 15 footer for keeping defenses honest .
6. Moves a lot without the ball
7. Moves his feet well on defense, draft reputation was as a defender.

Start at 3:50 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwGD0yA89m4

Catch and shoot jumper, then an (ill advised) pump fake up and under that he bails himself out on with good touch.

On the video provided, start at 1:20 or so; nice 18 footer on the baseline when the defender gives him space.
https://youtu.be/As11kyuiP9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPS2O0zF6I
At 0:40 of this one, jumper from the mid-key when given space.

Same thing here, start around 0:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1HTfSZDDUw

Obviously there are some negatives/question marks.
-Will he have enough quickness to make those quick spin+drives in the NBA?
-A lot of his blocked shots look like they are from moving his feet well and staying with a guard, who then gets his shot stuffed. Moving his feet that well is great, but he seems a little ground bound to be a help shot blocker. But hopefully those feet mean he can be a post defender, switch onto smaller guys sometimes with pick and rolls, etc.

We'll see, but overall I'd say he was an intriguing prospect when drafted and the consensus seems to be he only made himself much more appealing during his Euro showing this last year.
TP and I'll routinely throw you more.

Unfortunately I still have not seen a LEGIT step-back, fade-away, or even turn-around. Does not mean he can't do it but the only jumpers I've seen him make(and there has been a lot of game tapes) are very random and are like the ones in the videos you cited....usually taken when wide open.

Step backs and fadeaways are not important shots for a 7 footer to be able to make. Sure once in a generation you get a Dirk who hits those shots, but other shooting big men shoot mostly off spot-ups and face-ups. Zizic looks like he can be a spot-up threat from mid range at least, with his good FT%, simple mechanics and quick release. Post passing and PnR defense, not shooting, are the main question marks that could preclude Zizic from being a starting-caliber NBA player.

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2017, 08:01:38 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Zizic needs to expand his range so he can hit the occasional open 3 point shot.  But the immediate skillset he brings is rebounding and rim protection.  He will clog the paint nicely for us.  I'm not sure how many minutes he will get as a rookie though.

Zizic + Tatum could improve our rebounding situation but again they might not get a lot of play their rookie seasons.  But the need for boards is real!

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2017, 08:01:40 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It would seem that he could at least be serviceable consistent rotation 5, in a way that Zeller cannot due to defensive/rebounding/physicality limitations. 

Can he be Robin Lopez? If so he is a steal.

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2017, 12:21:24 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2017, 12:24:06 PM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
It would seem that he could at least be serviceable consistent rotation 5, in a way that Zeller cannot due to defensive/rebounding/physicality limitations. 

Can he be Robin Lopez? If so he is a steal.

I would be thrilled with Robin Lopez type production from Zizic. All we need is exactly what you pointed out in Zeller's deficits: defense, rebounding, and physicality. Anything more is a bonus.

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2017, 01:09:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
How about a Dario Saric comparison?  At age 22 (tuned 23 April 8) Saric put up about 13 ppg and 6 reb per game in 23 minutes on a team that was bad and probably led to more court time than he would have gotten on the Celtics.

Can Zizic give us that when he is 22?  I don't have real high hopes for Zizic this season but I do think the year of play in Europe against grown men will serve him better than a year in college would have.