Author Topic: Ante Zizic the next big thing (video)  (Read 13040 times)

Re: Ante Zizic the next big thing (video)
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2017, 08:45:59 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Think you guys are a bit off on the David Lee comps. Sure how he scores and generates rebounds will be similar to Lee but the overall on court approach and demeanor will be very different.

From everything I've seen about Zizic, he plays a bit more reckless and with higher energy. Lee generated his points with solid positioning and footwork where Zizic for better or worse seems to fly around a bit more and also has a way higher standing reach than Lee (8'10" vs 9'3" according to DX)

The statistical output might be similar to Lee but the approach reminds me more of a guy like Prime Joakim Noah without the passing instincts.

I've got high hopes for Zizic, and at the very least I don't think he'll get exposed on defense like Lee did/does.
I would just like to see a glimpse of an offensive game or jumper. He's big and long but I truly have not seen any game footage that shows he can be better than Perk offensively. If he's like Perk then imo he may not get much time bc our offense is about stretching the floor.

Sure FCO he has a ton of work to do to develop that jumper but I don't recall too many long stride drives finishing above the rim off one foot from Ol' Mr. Perkins...

https://youtu.be/NYVXn94rQKs

That mobility is pretty special for a player of his size. Reminds me of Kelly but with serious downhill force capability on the finish.

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2017, 08:57:41 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I think a lot of the time, when trying to come up with a good comp, we get caught up in what the player looks like (without even realizing it) and miss the actual impact of his game.

His game, as little as I know of it, reminds me of Tristan Thompson. A banger, hustle man who can get you points around the rim but not someone you're going to run the offense through.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2017, 09:09:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I look forward to seeing this guy grow as a Celtic. Right now, seems like a great pick by DA last year. Let's hope he pans out.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2017, 09:37:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Most of you guys are selling Zizic short. He is going to really help us especially his interior presence and work on the boards. Work horse.

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2017, 10:56:09 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
David Lee played with finesse while Zizic seems to like contact. Opposite ends of spectrum.

Lee is far more skilled, and not nearly as big.  I just don't see this comp at all.  I guess they're both white.

Yeah I am with you.  I in no way see David Lee when I watch Zizic's videos.  Not even close.
I see him as being a more motivated Greg Monroe.

Zizic's measurements are VERY close to Greg Monroe's.

Monroe: 6'11" w/shoes; 7'2" wingspan;  25" standing vert; 29" max vert

Zizic:     6"11.5" w/shoes; 7'2" wingspan; 25" standing vert; 29" max vert

They have similar weaknesses coming into the league, poor passers, too many turnovers, lack of offensive polish, lack of explosiveness.

I read that, coming into the league, there were questions about Monroe's passion and motor, which would explain the Pistons' and Bucks' apparent dissatisfaction with him. Hopefully this is not a problem with Zizic.
I followed the Pistons very closely when Jonas was there, and I don't recall Monroe's offensive polish, passion and motor was ever questioned (Drummond's were, which obviously was a very legitimate concern). Monroe's problems is that he has little range on offense, runs the floor poorly, and is very flat-footed on defense. If Zizic can become a more agile Monroe, that would be a pretty good outcome.

You're right, that was phrased poorly by me.

Monroe had a lot of skills coming into the league but lacked a jumper and wasn't the most efficient scorer, though he had some nice post moves. His post moves were definitely more advanced coming in than Zizic's are now.

Another eerie similarity between the two physically is weight:

Monroe: 247
Zizic: 249

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2017, 11:10:29 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I don't think Euroleague can fill more than 15% of an arena.

Hope he continues to run the floor like that when he gets over here. I'm not expecting an all-star, but if he can be a starter for this team, that would be huge. We really just need him to clean the glass and protect the paint. The rest of the starters will find him for easy buckets.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2017, 11:32:37 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
David Lee played with finesse while Zizic seems to like contact. Opposite ends of spectrum.

Lee is far more skilled, and not nearly as big.  I just don't see this comp at all.  I guess they're both white.

Yeah I am with you.  I in no way see David Lee when I watch Zizic's videos.  Not even close.
I see him as being a more motivated Greg Monroe.

Zizic's measurements are VERY close to Greg Monroe's.

Monroe: 6'11" w/shoes; 7'2" wingspan;  25" standing vert; 29" max vert

Zizic:     6"11.5" w/shoes; 7'2" wingspan; 25" standing vert; 29" max vert

They have similar weaknesses coming into the league, poor passers, too many turnovers, lack of offensive polish, lack of explosiveness.

I read that, coming into the league, there were questions about Monroe's passion and motor, which would explain the Pistons' and Bucks' apparent dissatisfaction with him. Hopefully this is not a problem with Zizic.
I followed the Pistons very closely when Jonas was there, and I don't recall Monroe's offensive polish, passion and motor was ever questioned (Drummond's were, which obviously was a very legitimate concern). Monroe's problems is that he has little range on offense, runs the floor poorly, and is very flat-footed on defense. If Zizic can become a more agile Monroe, that would be a pretty good outcome.

You're right, that was phrased poorly by me.

Monroe had a lot of skills coming into the league but lacked a jumper and wasn't the most efficient scorer, though he had some nice post moves. His post moves were definitely more advanced coming in than Zizic's are now.

Another eerie similarity between the two physically is weight:

Monroe: 247
Zizic: 249
Monroe had a jumper it just did not have a ton of range. I have yet to see Zizic take a step-back, fade-away, or turn-around.......literally. Find me the game tape and I'll give you a bunch of tp's.

« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2017, 12:28:06 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2152
Ante Zizic would have been a lottery pick in this draft.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2017, 12:32:16 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Good work on the Monroe comp. super similar.

I have seen some video highlight of Zizic hitting 16 footers (like Zeller), but his range is definitely limited at this stage.

This summer league promises to be epic.

Demtrious Jackson
Brown
Nader
Tatum
Zizic
 :o

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2017, 02:51:15 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If Zizic is a serviceable rotation guy for 17-20 minutes per game, I'd be really happy. We just need him to hold his own on the boards, be active defensively, and hit short and mid-range jumpers when the defense moves toward the penetration by Thomas.

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2017, 07:11:09 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Think you guys are a bit off on the David Lee comps. Sure how he scores and generates rebounds will be similar to Lee but the overall on court approach and demeanor will be very different.

From everything I've seen about Zizic, he plays a bit more reckless and with higher energy. Lee generated his points with solid positioning and footwork where Zizic for better or worse seems to fly around a bit more and also has a way higher standing reach than Lee (8'10" vs 9'3" according to DX)

The statistical output might be similar to Lee but the approach reminds me more of a guy like Prime Joakim Noah without the passing instincts.

I've got high hopes for Zizic, and at the very least I don't think he'll get exposed on defense like Lee did/does.
I would just like to see a glimpse of an offensive game or jumper. He's big and long but I truly have not seen any game footage that shows he can be better than Perk offensively. If he's like Perk then imo he may not get much time bc our offense is about stretching the floor.

Sure FCO he has a ton of work to do to develop that jumper but I don't recall too many long stride drives finishing above the rim off one foot from Ol' Mr. Perkins...

That mobility is pretty special for a player of his size. Reminds me of Kelly but with serious downhill force capability on the finish.

Don't forget that Perkins was playing against NBA players and Zizic is playing against a bunch of guys who would be in the D-League if they lived in the states.

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2017, 07:45:18 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Don't forget that Perkins was playing against NBA players and Zizic is playing against a bunch of guys who would be in the D-League if they lived in the states.

That's fair, but at the same age, Perk played all of 35 minutes in the NBA, so he was effectively a D-leaguer too.  And we didn't get to see what his athleticism looked like, which is really what the comparison was about.

« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Obviously there is a lot to be determined about Zizic's transition to the NBA, but I see a lot of reasons for cautious optimism.

1. Size. He is legitimately big and strong at age 20.
2. Age. He is not some old experienced Euro coming over at 24, 25. He is 20, more than holding his own in a couple professional leagues over there.
3. Motor+attitude He's got it. As long as he quickly learns to stop hanging on the rim.
4. He seems to have nice natural touch around the rim, doesn't have to dunk, can bank it from a few feet out with either hand, seems comfortable with short hooks from either hand. I really like his decisiveness on offense; it seems like he knows where the defense is before he gets the ball, and which way he is going to spin and drive before he gets the ball.
5. Very high FG%, and mostly above 70% from what I could see for his FT%, which would bode well for at least developing a 15 footer for keeping defenses honest .
6. Moves a lot without the ball
7. Moves his feet well on defense, draft reputation was as a defender.

Start at 3:50 here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwGD0yA89m4

Catch and shoot jumper, then an (ill advised) pump fake up and under that he bails himself out on with good touch.

On the video provided, start at 1:20 or so; nice 18 footer on the baseline when the defender gives him space.
https://youtu.be/As11kyuiP9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPS2O0zF6I
At 0:40 of this one, jumper from the mid-key when given space.

Same thing here, start around 0:12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1HTfSZDDUw

Obviously there are some negatives/question marks.
-Will he have enough quickness to make those quick spin+drives in the NBA?
-A lot of his blocked shots look like they are from moving his feet well and staying with a guard, who then gets his shot stuffed. Moving his feet that well is great, but he seems a little ground bound to be a help shot blocker. But hopefully those feet mean he can be a post defender, switch onto smaller guys sometimes with pick and rolls, etc.

We'll see, but overall I'd say he was an intriguing prospect when drafted and the consensus seems to be he only made himself much more appealing during his Euro showing this last year.

« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2017, 06:58:07 PM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20
I don't see the Monroe comparison at all. Monroe could handle the ball, face-up and make advanced dribble drives (e.g., spins and crossovers), and make passes both out of the post and off the dribble too. There were reasons why people compared him frequently to Lamar Odom when he was coming out of school.

However, his lack of athleticism and defensive impact severely limited the role he's occupied in the league. Pair that with a jumper that doesn't exist outside of 15 feet and he's not an optimal option for basketball in this era. He's found his role with the Bucks as a punch off the bench, but he's been mediocre in bigger roles.

If Zizic is anything like Monroe, I would attribute it to his rebounding ability. But quite frankly, I'd be disappointed if that's what he developed into. I think that all you truly need in a modern big is a finisher, who can set strong screens, board on both sides of the ball, and protect the rim. Any offense is a cherry on top, in my opinion.

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

That's fair, but at the same age, Perk played all of 35 minutes in the NBA, so he was effectively a D-leaguer too.  And we didn't get to see what his athleticism looked like, which is really what the comparison was about.
I'm not saying that he does not have potential. I'm saying he has not shown even a glimpse of a jumper during his games.