Author Topic: Ante Zizic the next big thing (video)  (Read 13072 times)

Re: Ante Zizic the next big thing (video)
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Pretty wide kid. Don't see him getting pushed around as he's got NBA big man size already. Blatt said he got an endless motor. Sounds exactly what the Cs were lacking last year.

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Big kid gets to the rim and throws it down with not wasted time, hits the mid range jumper too! Excited to watch him punish people, hope he gets to summer league!

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 03:35:53 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
David Lee played with finesse while Zizic seems to like contact. Opposite ends of spectrum.

Lee is far more skilled, and not nearly as big.  I just don't see this comp at all.  I guess they're both white.

Zizic is more Perk than Lee...

Oh, God, not Perk. Ante has realy nice 10-footer and pretty decent FT%.
No he actually doesn't.
Do you see any turn-around's, fade aways, step backs?

Yes he does. Very soft-handed center. Doesn't take these too much, because he's quite dominant in the paint in Europe. Though he could use it more in NBA.
For example, watch this video at 1:25 and later maybe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As11kyuiP9s
You actually furthered my point. You literally stopped looking for the jumpers I asked for (turn-around, fade-away, step-back) and had to use the OP's video, in which he shoots a plain 15ft that is barely a face-up jumper.

I am not the only poster that has gone through tons of game films to find instances of him using legit jumpers that transfer well for centers.

TP if you can find instances of him using these jumpers that transfer well to the NBA for centers :TURN-AROUND, FADE-AWAY, STEP-BACK...also legit pull-up's and face-up's would be okay too.

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 03:35:54 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Think you guys are a bit off on the David Lee comps. Sure how he scores and generates rebounds will be similar to Lee but the overall on court approach and demeanor will be very different.

From everything I've seen about Zizic, he plays a bit more reckless and with higher energy. Lee generated his points with solid positioning and footwork where Zizic for better or worse seems to fly around a bit more and also has a way higher standing reach than Lee (8'10" vs 9'3" according to DX)

The statistical output might be similar to Lee but the approach reminds me more of a guy like Prime Joakim Noah without the passing instincts.

I've got high hopes for Zizic, and at the very least I don't think he'll get exposed on defense like Lee did/does.

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2017, 03:49:32 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
And not only do we have Ante.....we have the anti-Ante!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ2a730_BWk
Theis is the guy that looks like David Lee to me.  From what I've seen, he looks like a tough, hard nosed player that will bang and run. He's got a nice looking 3pt shot, too, but I've no idea what his percentages are...those could have been all the 3pt shots he made all year for all I know. IAC, he looks like a high-motor, hard nosed player. If he is quick enough, I think a good bit of his game will translate to the NBA.

Zicic, I don't have a good player comparison for, at the moment. He clearly doesn't mind bodying up and he was consistently blocking out his man inside. Even if *he* doesn't get the rebounds, that makes it easier for the rest of his team to do so, and that's important. He also fought for rebounds, that tenacious nose for the ball is something I haven't seen enough of out of C's bigs  in recent years. He's going to be a nice big target on PNR and he shows quick feet to the rim and good hands.

I do think Ante needs to work on an 18 footer. A 3 pter would be better, but first get to a knock down mid-range jumper.

I have no idea if either Theis or Zicic can guard a chair with an NBA logo on it. I'm going to trust Danny that they have the quickness and footwork to hang with NBA bigs. I hope my trust is rewarded...we'll see.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Theis is the guy that looks like David Lee to me.  From what I've seen, he looks like a tough, hard nosed player that will bang and run. He's got a nice looking 3pt shot, too, but I've no idea what his percentages are...those could have been all the 3pt shots he made all year for all I know. IAC, he looks like a high-motor, hard nosed player. If he is quick enough, I think a good bit of his game will translate to the NBA.

I have no idea if either Theis or Zicic can guard a chair with an NBA logo on it. I'm going to trust Danny that they have the quickness and footwork to hang with NBA bigs. I hope my trust is rewarded...we'll see.

TP......I agree on Theis, he is more like DLee. Better shot blacker/defender, but not as polished offensively.

He's a more ready player because of his age/experience, and I think he will play more than Zizic, initially.

Hopefully, Zizic will quickly surpass him.

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2017, 05:49:33 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Think you guys are a bit off on the David Lee comps. Sure how he scores and generates rebounds will be similar to Lee but the overall on court approach and demeanor will be very different.

From everything I've seen about Zizic, he plays a bit more reckless and with higher energy. Lee generated his points with solid positioning and footwork where Zizic for better or worse seems to fly around a bit more and also has a way higher standing reach than Lee (8'10" vs 9'3" according to DX)

The statistical output might be similar to Lee but the approach reminds me more of a guy like Prime Joakim Noah without the passing instincts.

I've got high hopes for Zizic, and at the very least I don't think he'll get exposed on defense like Lee did/does.
I would just like to see a glimpse of an offensive game or jumper. He's big and long but I truly have not seen any game footage that shows he can be better than Perk offensively. If he's like Perk then imo he may not get much time bc our offense is about stretching the floor.

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2017, 06:00:24 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
The video should be called, "Ante Zizic and art of the two-handed hang on the rim dunk," because that is basically what he is doing in over 90% of the video.

If he is going to get playing time, he will need to rebound and be able to hit at least a 15-footer. He isn't Shaq or Howard so he can't only play down low, especially since he lacks advanced post moves.

I am not trying to be down on him, I love that he plays with an edge, but his game will need to evolve somewhat to the modern NBA.

This is exactly what I saw as well... He's a young rookie, so not holding anything against him and he does have room to improve, but I didn't see this video showcasing anything that would have separated him from a traditional low-post big that most on this board say we don't need and won't work in CBS' system. I agree with Greg Munroe and Pekovic comps... definitely don't see Griffin.

Would have loved to see some vids of him guarding different positions.

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2017, 06:33:26 PM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
David Lee played with finesse while Zizic seems to like contact. Opposite ends of spectrum.

Lee is far more skilled, and not nearly as big.  I just don't see this comp at all.  I guess they're both white.

Yeah I am with you.  I in no way see David Lee when I watch Zizic's videos.  Not even close.
I see him as being a more motivated Greg Monroe.

Zizic's measurements are VERY close to Greg Monroe's.

Monroe: 6'11" w/shoes; 7'2" wingspan;  25" standing vert; 29" max vert

Zizic:     6"11.5" w/shoes; 7'2" wingspan; 25" standing vert; 29" max vert

They have similar weaknesses coming into the league, poor passers, too many turnovers, lack of offensive polish, lack of explosiveness.

I read that, coming into the league, there were questions about Monroe's passion and motor, which would explain the Pistons' and Bucks' apparent dissatisfaction with him. Hopefully this is not a problem with Zizic.
I followed the Pistons very closely when Jonas was there, and I don't recall Monroe's offensive polish, passion and motor was ever questioned (Drummond's were, which obviously was a very legitimate concern). Monroe's problems is that he has little range on offense, runs the floor poorly, and is very flat-footed on defense. If Zizic can become a more agile Monroe, that would be a pretty good outcome.

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 06:42:22 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Will he be on the summer league roster?

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2017, 07:53:33 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I can see Zizic making a name for himself hes definitely got alot of work to do. Getting on an NBA floor is the first one.

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2017, 07:59:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I can see Zizic making a name for himself hes definitely got alot of work to do. Getting on an NBA floor is the first one.

*Steps on the floor*

Celticsblog: HE'S A HALL OF FAMER!  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2017, 08:26:37 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39

*Steps on the floor*

Celticsblog: HE'S A HALL OF FAMER!  :laugh:

Lol

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 08:28:26 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

TP......I agree on Theis, he is more like DLee. Better shot blacker/defender, but not as polished offensively.

He's a more ready player because of his age/experience, and I think he will play more than Zizic, initially.

Hopefully, Zizic will quickly surpass him.

Agreed, the Germanator is the superior player of the two currently.

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 08:34:11 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I like how decisive he is around the basket. He catches the ball and knows what he's going  to do with it, no wishful pump fakes or looking around for a teammate, no waiting for his defender to get into good position.