Author Topic: Honestly, I Don't Think 'The Offseason Plan' Has Changed Much  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
After finding out we would be picking #1 in the NBA Draft, I think most of us, and even the Celtics organization (initially), thought that this summer, the main plan would be to:

1. Draft Fultz (WELP...)

2. Sign Hayward/Griffin (Even with his injury issues, if we whiff on Hayward, Griffin would still be a nice Plan B option)

3. Use the room exception to keep a current member of the team who is currently entering FA (Jerebko or Gerald Green)

4. Bring up Zizic

5. Trade an excess guard (or two) in a package for a moderate PF/C upgrade.

So here we are, June 25, and honestly, I don't think the plan has really changed. Of course, we didn't draft Fultz, and instead flipped #1 for #3 and a future lottery pick, and drafted Tatum in the package.

But now we're hearing a lot of rumors that the C's may try to sign Hayward and then use that to lure George here, via trade with an extension in hand as well. I truthfully am not buying it.

First off, while this scenario is technically possible, it's VERY COMPLICATED, and risky too. Paul George is better than each of Crowder, Bradley and Smart, yes. BUT I feel he's only marginally better than the production of all 3 combined, and it seems like it will be a hefty package to bring George here. It would, in essence, gut our team for the most part.

And that moves puts us into "win now" mode for the most part, and while this team could have a chance at beating Cleveland (assuming CLE essentially keep the same team), they still have zero shot against the Warriors, and I feel Bradley is VITAL in defending some of the Warriors perimeter shooters (Klay and Steph).

It's why I believe, the C's will still probably follow this blueprint, and it seems like Ainge loves Bradley, because of his capabilities on defense, and the fact that he's grown into the player today, and it would be a shame to just let him leave like that or trade him. Ainge acknowledged "no one is untouchable", but there are probably some players Ainge probably prefers to build with than others, which makes sense.

It's why, while Step 1 obviously changed slightly, they still drafted someone, and I feel they will stick to 'the plan' (Steps 2+5) essentially.

Now it's a matter of hoping that Hayward comes here (or Griffin). Coming this far, it would be a shame to not sign either, but I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed put either to be honest.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Honestly, I Don't Think 'The Offseason Plan' Has Changed Much
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:19:17 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Phantom, agreed. I don't think they would have to "gut" the roster for George, but, time is on Ainge's side.

Develop the rookies and see how the league shakes out this coming season.
The Celtics have-
Nader
Zizic
Brown
Tatum
Seme
Bird
Yabusele and others. The chances are reasonable that two of these guys "break out"...one of them better be Brown.

Ainge still has pix, he has these younger potential assets, Stevens and solid current vets heading for next year's playoffs.

Don't see him blowing it up for this year's smorgasbord of available upgrades.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 12:26:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm skeptical too, but it wouldn't gut our team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Phantom, agreed. I don't think they would have to "gut" the roster for George, but, time is on Ainge's side.

Develop the rookies and see how the league shakes out this coming season.
The Celtics have-
Nader
Zizic
Brown
Tatum
Seme
Bird
Yabusele and others. The chances are reasonable that two of these guys "break out"...one of them better be Brown.

Ainge still has pix, he has these younger potential assets, Stevens and solid current vets heading for next year's playoffs.

Don't see him blowing it up for this year's smorgasbord of available upgrades.

Yeah, I have high hopes for Jaylen and Zizic.

Would love to see Tatum grow into a solid PF for us, or Paul Pierce 2.0  8)

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
TP and good post. What you said makes a lot of sense and I view it very similar. If they signed Griffin it would solve a lot of issues (staying healthy of course), it would give us that second big we need and the rebounder.

Hayward would be great to have but IMO that stock ups a lot of wings on the roster which would lead me to believe they would trade at least 2 of AB, Smart (although he can play some PG but can't guard fast guards) or Crowder.

But the formula is the same as last year: draft a guy, sign a guy!

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 03:25:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the trade for George is just Crowder and Bradley and picks, I don't see how replacing those two Celtics with George and Hayward guts the team. I think it upgrades the starters and leaves Smart, Brown, Rozier, Tatum, possibly Jerebko with the room exception, Zizic, Theis and probably a vet min guy like Lavoy Allen or Marresse Speights

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
TP and good post. What you said makes a lot of sense and I view it very similar. If they signed Griffin it would solve a lot of issues (staying healthy of course), it would give us that second big we need and the rebounder.

Hayward would be great to have but IMO that stock ups a lot of wings on the roster which would lead me to believe they would trade at least 2 of AB, Smart (although he can play some PG but can't guard fast guards) or Crowder.

But the formula is the same as last year: draft a guy, sign a guy!

TP back at you!

Yeah, but the thing is, Stevens seems to not care, as evident when asked, "what position will Tatum play", and Stevens responded, "Doesn't matter"  :laugh:

I think one of AB/Smart/Crowder (unfortunately) AND Rozier are packaged in a deal for that "said" PF/C upgrade. Obviously with some future (non-BKN/LAL) picks.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
If the trade for George is just Crowder and Bradley and picks, I don't see how replacing those two Celtics with George and Hayward guts the team. I think it upgrades the starters and leaves Smart, Brown, Rozier, Tatum, possibly Jerebko with the room exception, Zizic, Theis and probably a vet min guy like Lavoy Allen or Marresse Speights

I heard some places/articles say we'd have to give up Rozier, AB, Smart AND Crowder + picks to get it done, or you can do that without Rozier.

But honestly, a lot of articles conflict each other haha. Kind of confusing, I'll admit.

Hopefully Zizic can come in and have a really good year, like Zubac did (I know that's asking a lot, but we kind of need it, and it would be gladly welcome).

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I still think this is Ainge's plan.

The Hayward + George (extension) plan just seems too risky and way too complicated.

Even Woj sort of acknowledges there's that good chance it all doesn't matter and George does end up bolting to LA after next season.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 05:18:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The Hayward + George (extension) plan just seems too risky and way too complicated.

Even Woj sort of acknowledges there's that good chance it all doesn't matter and George does end up bolting to LA after next season.

I think we are actively trying to add Hayward and George. I think that's Danny's current plan, which is adaptable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 05:20:49 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
This is what Ainge has been saving for. Time to spend the assets

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 05:25:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Woj is the best in the business. He's leaked our plan

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Woj is the best in the business. He's leaked our plan

Umm excuse me, the great Stephen A Smith says George is ONLY going LA or CLE.

Who to believe?  ???

:laugh:

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 06:10:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I think we are actively trying to add Hayward and George. I think that's Danny's current plan, which is adaptable.

Hopefully the entire crew is in Utah right now. Getting ready...  ;)

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 06:27:19 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
I don't buy it for a second, it just doesn't make any sense.  Bring in Hayward and George, rely on 31+ year old Horford and other bigs off the scrap heap, have to resign I.T. and George for a ton the next off season pushing the C's well into the tax, have a very young inexperienced bench and the only way to improve is now through internal development of the youngsters and the Brooklyn pick, + lose a ton of your defense if Bradley, Crowder, Smart, K.O., Jerebko, are traded or let go???

I have always said that I trust Danny but if he goes that route I am going to start questioning what they are doing.  I would still bet that the Hayward + George rumors are not true/smokescreen,  Bradley and maybe Crowder are traded, K.O. and Smart stay, and Hayward signs.