Author Topic: Jimmy Butler trade - we offered better package?  (Read 2607 times)

Jimmy Butler trade - we offered better package?
« on: June 25, 2017, 10:44:08 AM »

Offline osterhagen

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Apparently theres talk that we had better offer for butler centered around future draft picks

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2017/06/cleveland_cavaliers_scribbles_54.html

Is the guy trustworthy?

And if i he is, is there any talk which picks we would trade?

Re: Jimmy Butler trade - we offered better package?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
So I could buy this, we offered the better package but they wanted a pick in this year's draft and we weren't willing to give that.

On the other hand, I think the Celtics mo is that they want to see if they can add anyone for free in free agency rather than give up trade chips in a deal.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:14:25 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I doubt it. I think we offered a better package a year ago, but not recently. Another report said the best Celtics offer recently was the Celtics 2018 first. Ainge also said he hasn't talked to the Bulls about Butler recently

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 11:18:25 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I highly doubt this

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 11:46:40 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
To match Minny, we would've had to be offering Jaylen, Rozier and one of the BKN or LAL picks. Most likely the #3. Think about it: Lavine, Dunn and #7 = a high pick and 2 promising prospects. Granted, Rozier probably has the lowest ceiling in that group but our pick would've been better.
- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
To match Minny, we would've had to be offering Jaylen, Rozier and one of the BKN or LAL picks. Most likely the #3. Think about it: Lavine, Dunn and #7 = a high pick and 2 promising prospects. Granted, Rozier probably has the lowest ceiling in that group but our pick would've been better.
Dunn plays terrible and relative old that's why he got traded. Lavine a leaper with a torn ACL we knew how Bulls handled it, they are the opposite of promising.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 12:07:42 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I just think the media and the fanbase are bigger on Butler than Ainge. Cousins and Butler didn't fit the Ainge plan and thus, Bulls can do what they want with him.

Butler is a top player who has been available for awhile now. If Ainge and Stevens really wanted him they had the ammo to get him.

BTW, evidently, the Bulls didn't want him.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I tend not to trust beat writers, especially when that writer doesn't cover the teams in question.

7. Most of the NBA is stunned by the poor return for Butler. Boston supposedly offered a far more attractive package with several future picks.

It didn't just beat #7, Dunn and Lavine, it was "far more attractive"? I'm pretty skeptical.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
I tend not to trust beat writers, especially when that writer doesn't cover the teams in question.

7. Most of the NBA is stunned by the poor return for Butler. Boston supposedly offered a far more attractive package with several future picks.

It didn't just beat #7, Dunn and Lavine, it was "far more attractive"? I'm pretty skeptical.

This, and the fact that Ainge pretty much acknowledged that the Celtics were "never really close" to trading for Butler.

They probably talked, but I doubt the talks got too far and seeing what CHI wanted from MIN, wouldn't have surprised me if they wanted Jaylen in the package, and Ainge said whoever asked for Jaylen, he pretty much hung up on  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 12:47:52 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Butler is fool's gold.  Ball dominant, poor 3pt%, hurts spacing, leaks to the media constantly and hasn't played 82 games in like 5 seasons. 

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Butler is fool's gold.  Ball dominant, poor 3pt%, hurts spacing, leaks to the media constantly and hasn't played 82 games in like 5 seasons.

He also threw his teammates under the bus a few times too.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 01:10:03 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Jaylen Brown and Tatum/Jackson is already an overpay. 

#3 verses #7 was a huge deal in this draft.  We correctly didn't trade for Butler....and they chose to settle for a so so package rather than keep Butler.

The guy who can rescue the deal for Chicago is Dunn.  If he can get on a Billups-like trajectory where he figures it out later rather than sooner, then he still has a chance to balance this deal out.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 01:30:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Minnesota gave up-
Lavine
Dunn

For argument's sake, let's say Smart, who's rookie contract expires with Lavine's, is comparable to Lavine. Not better offensively, but way better defensively. He's also not coming off an ACL injury.

Brown, who was drafted before Dunn, is comparable to Dunn. I obviously feel Brown is the superior player and has more upside, but remember that Chicago was supposedly really high on Dunn last year.

So again, for argument's sake, let's say Smart & Brown = Lavine & Dunn. Now the question is what would the Bulls want on our roster that's equivalent to the #7 they received from the Wolves? Assuming they are allowed to keep the #16 pick they traded to the Wolves here are some options:

Would they rather have the #7 or Rozier (they were rumored to like him and were planning on taking him in the draft if he fallen to them) and the #16?
Would they rather have the #7 or Crowder and the #16?
Would they rather have the #7 or Bradley and the #16?

Bottom line, I do like Butler as a player, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to trade Brown, Smart, and Crowder for him. I would probably lean towards doing it if Crowder was replaced for Bradley (who's due big money next summer) . And closer still if Crowder or Bradley was replaced with Rozier.

Just my 2 cents...

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 08:42:53 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Terry Pluto is a very good and trustworthy writer.  Remember the rumor that Danny was trying to get the 7th pick?  I wanted Butler but not at the expense of Brown or Tatum

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 09:00:51 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

He also threw his teammates under the bus a few times too.
And his coach,too
His training assistant has been meeting with drug dealer, on top of that
just telling what kind of person he is