Author Topic: Few players increase 3 PT% moving from college to NBA  (Read 3283 times)

Re: Few players increase 3 PT% moving from college to NBA
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
its weird how narrow of a sample size they used. "Guards in the top 5 since 2007" is not nearly a representative sample of the NBA.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 06:04:54 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Shooting can be improved.   Most guys think that they are all world and do not put in the time.   Sometimes they practice but are only practicing their bad habits.
Agreed, that's why he needs a professional shooting coach.

Didn't Marcus change his shot last year? I assume it takes more than a season to change your mechanics. I think he'll improve but not to a spectacular amount. But still an improvement to average for Smart will be big.
By far his complete inability to drive: by defenders, into the lane, to the rim, to open things up.

Tony Allen is a good player and was very effective on a contending team in MEM. Unfortunately, we drafted Tony Allen type(better playmaking potential but no driving) with the 6th pick. He is a guy that could get better if he can drive the ball but he is a RFA next summer and may cost 14million. His stock is higher due to the playoffs and the Cavs series, maybe it would be good to trade him if there is a good chance he walks next year.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
When watching shooters I always look at the volume, before %, since there are no poor shooters that make a lot of 3s. Making a case about shooters is not definite without keeping that on mind.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
There is a video of Tatum hitting 17 straight threes in practice.

I think you would be surprised how often that happens in a practice setting. Most moderately talented players don't miss in practice, it's actually kinda crazy to see in person.

Yea when I was a kid my mom remarried a guy that was really good at basketball when he was younger (and golf for that matter). I'd be out shooting for hours a day and once every few weeks he would come out and stand 20' or so from the rim and say "20 in a row from here". He'd hit his 20 in a row on the first try than go back inside to watch TV.

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 06:29:21 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
In what world is your analysis connected to this incredibly flawed article.

Firstoff, 14 players is too small a sample size to draw any conclusions.

Second, Fultz shot 41% from 3 in college. How is that a problem?

Also Tatum was the worst shooter from the top 4 according to college 3 point percentage.

This post doesn't make any sense.
I hope/believe that he will fix the couple easy fixes in his 3-pt/long 2 shooting mechanics. He's definitely a shooter and he is a guy that shot 85% from ft this year and 88% in 20 games in Nike League.

Have you noticed his left arm placement during the shot? It's super unnecessary and should be an easy fix.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 06:40:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
In what world is your analysis connected to this incredibly flawed article.

Firstoff, 14 players is too small a sample size to draw any conclusions.

Second, Fultz shot 41% from 3 in college. How is that a problem?

Also Tatum was the worst shooter from the top 4 according to college 3 point percentage.

This post doesn't make any sense.
I hope/believe that he will fix the couple easy fixes in his 3-pt/long 2 shooting mechanics. He's definitely a shooter and he is a guy that shot 85% from ft this year and 88% in 20 games in Nike League.

Have you noticed his left arm placement during the shot? It's super unnecessary and should be an easy fix.
Im arguing that the article and op are dumb. I think college 3 pt % isn't really something to put a lot of stock in. The sample size is too small. Tatum shot a pedestrian 34% from deep but he has a nice form, and has been a very good free throw shooter. I think he will become a very good 3 point shooter in the NBA. It may take a few years for him to really extend his range to the NBA 3 but I do believe that it is only a matter of time.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.