Poll

Danny Ainge Signed Otto Porter To A Max Contract?

Yes, Sign the Guy
2 (5.6%)
No, Don't Do it Danny
34 (94.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: If we can't sign Hayward or a PG13 trade....Otto Porter?  (Read 6488 times)

Re: If we can't sign Hayward or a PG13 trade....Otto Porter?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think a small forward who can play some minutes at power forward is not a position of need for the C's right now. If it's a big upgrade like Hayward or George, I get it. But Porter doesn't seem like an upgrade over any of our guys that can do that already.

I disagree.  He'd be the best we have next year at the position.  Whether that's enough of an upgrade given the long-term resources we have invested there is a different question, but he'd be our best there unless Jaylen Brown takes a monster leap in year 2.
or Jayson Tatum in year 1.   ;)

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 09:06:34 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think the results of the poll are pretty clear: this is a big, fat NO.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 09:08:47 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
If we can't sign said guys I'd hope Danny goes after vet bigs.  Otto Porter sounds nice but put him on current team and have him fight for minutes.  He's a nice solid player but so is crowder at a great contract.  Brown looks like all star in making and our newest pick might have that in him as well

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 09:41:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I think a small forward who can play some minutes at power forward is not a position of need for the C's right now. If it's a big upgrade like Hayward or George, I get it. But Porter doesn't seem like an upgrade over any of our guys that can do that already.

I disagree.  He'd be the best we have next year at the position.  Whether that's enough of an upgrade given the long-term resources we have invested there is a different question, but he'd be our best there unless Jaylen Brown takes a monster leap in year 2.
You've got him rated a lot higher than I do. I look at Porter as basically a lateral move from Crowder. He's younger so maybe he can continue to grow but I don't see him as advancing much of an offensive game beyond the spot up shooting he's very good at now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2017, 10:04:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
never understood the fascination with Porter here over the years.  granted, he's improved this year.  now when I hear his name brought up I don't say "he sucks".  I just think "meh".

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2017, 10:43:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You've got him rated a lot higher than I do. I look at Porter as basically a lateral move from Crowder. He's younger so maybe he can continue to grow but I don't see him as advancing much of an offensive game beyond the spot up shooting he's very good at now.

I mean, he's more than very good at spot up shooting.  He's elite.  Again, his eFG% led the league for non-centers (since guys like Howard, Jordan, and Capela just take all their shots at the rim, it's not fair to compare them with other players).  He's a plus rebounder for the swing position.  His length is elite -- 6'8" with a 7'1" wingspan.  That's equates to 3 inches of standing reach compared to Jaylen Brown.  About 6 inches on Crowder.

Can he be a shot creator in the half court? That I'm not positive on.  With Wall and Beal he was given very few opportunities to do so.  He's decent at attacking closeouts, but I can't honestly say if he can beat players off the dribble and make his own shots.

He's 24.  You'd be gambling he improved a bit.  But I think Stevens would happily play a lineup with all four of Crowder, Porter, Brown and Tatum in it (just as I think he's play such a lineup with Hayward or George instead), so I'm confident on the fit.  And the difference between Porter and Hayward/George in salary could be an amount large enough to enable maxing IT while keeping Bradley beyond this year, or resign Olynyk.

The other thing I like about Porter is that he's taken large steps forward in his game every year.  To me that looks like someone who's been putting in the work and seeing results, and accordingly someone less likely to have a drop off after a big payday.

So yeah, as I said back in November, I think Porter is a Plan D or so, but I do think it's viable.  Maybe a bit riskier than other plans, but that's why it's not Plan A.  Ideally he'd sign for closer to
$22 million than the max that's approaching $25 million.  I don't think Washingnton matches either.  Ownership is too cheap, and they're running low on draft picks with which to dump bad contracts.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:48:17 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2017, 11:29:07 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

I mean, he's more than very good at spot up shooting.  He's elite.  Again, his eFG% led the league for non-centers (since guys like Howard, Jordan, and Capela just take all their shots at the rim, it's not fair to compare them with other players).  He's a plus rebounder for the swing position.  His length is elite -- 6'8" with a 7'1" wingspan.  That's equates to 3 inches of standing reach compared to Jaylen Brown.  About 6 inches on Crowder.

Can he be a shot creator in the half court? That I'm not positive on.  With Wall and Beal he was given very few opportunities to do so.  He's decent at attacking closeouts, but I can't honestly say if he can beat players off the dribble and make his own shots.

He's 24.  You'd be gambling he improved a bit.  But I think Stevens would happily play a lineup with all four of Crowder, Porter, Brown and Tatum in it (just as I think he's play such a lineup with Hayward or George instead), so I'm confident on the fit.  And the difference between Porter and Hayward/George in salary could be an amount large enough to enable maxing IT while keeping Bradley beyond this year, or resign Olynyk.

The other thing I like about Porter is that he's taken large steps forward in his game every year.  To me that looks like someone who's been putting in the work and seeing results, and accordingly someone less likely to have a drop off after a big payday.

So yeah, as I said back in November, I think Porter is a Plan D or so, but I do think it's viable.  Maybe a bit riskier than other plans, but that's why it's not Plan A.  Ideally he'd sign for closer to
$22 million than the max that's approaching $25 million.  I don't think Washingnton matches either.  Ownership is too cheap, and they're running low on draft picks with which to dump bad contracts.
TP for bringing up the lengths. FYI about the 2016 nba draft combine messed up the standing reaches or there were a lot of irregularities...so although they kept the measurements they basically said the standing reaches were not official/disregard. Jaylen's standing reach averages out to 8'8'' but his highest was 8'9'' and before the combine his lowest was 8'7'' and that was in 2012 when he was 6'4'' with shoes.

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 02:44:51 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No thanks.

We have more then enough average-to-good fringe starters on this roster to last a lifetime.  We need star talent, and Porter is not even remotely close to that - he does nothing to help us, I'd be happy just keeping who with have.

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2017, 02:55:46 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I like Porter and he's cheap, but I'd prefer to go after Griffin first.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2017, 06:48:31 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

He's 24. You'd be gambling he improved a bit.  But I think Stevens would happily play a lineup with all four of Crowder, Porter, Brown and Tatum in it (just as I think he's play such a lineup with Hayward or George instead), so I'm confident on the fit.  And the difference between Porter and Hayward/George in salary could be an amount large enough to enable maxing IT while keeping Bradley beyond this year, or resign Olynyk.

I pretty much agree with all of that but put more of an emphasis on the bolded. It's a gamble he's ever more than he is right now. Is it more likely that he improves than it is that Crowder improves? For sure. But I see them as comparable players last year (give a little here, take a little there) and I'm skeptical of Porter really improving his handle much.

Maybe you're right and he just hasn't been given the opportunity but even if that's true I don't see the upgrade in talent as all that substantial. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008