Poll

Danny Ainge Signed Otto Porter To A Max Contract?

Yes, Sign the Guy
2 (5.6%)
No, Don't Do it Danny
34 (94.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: If we can't sign Hayward or a PG13 trade....Otto Porter?  (Read 6540 times)

Re: If we can't sign Hayward or a PG13 trade....Otto Porter?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 09:43:45 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Rudy Gay be a second tier target?

Some of you have set the bar so low.  We are not signing a guy just to do it because we want to keep flexibility.   We will run it back and play with what we got.  If Ainge addds a guy I think it is going to be for a better player.

Yea I know he gets a lot of hate on here. I don't watch him so no idea how deserving he is of it but he could be a good tweener that perhaps you get for a fair price on maybe a short contract until the young kids grow up. But than again maybe not.

IMO Danny will spend the cap money this summer because next summer it will be gone.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 09:55:50 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
1. He is restricted.
2. Wizards and Celtics are rivals to top the East.

I think this ends the debate.

Wizards aren't going to pay the luxury tax.  Their owner has pretty much said so.  If all they do is add minimum salary players to their roster, they can afford to pay Porter a little under $20 million next season.

In other words, the Wizards can be outbid.

But not by us. They'd do almost anything to keep the player if he signs an offer sheet with Boston.

Also, I don't think he is the target. Our last two 3rd picks play more or less in his position.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 09:56:13 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we didn't have Tatum and he wasn't going to cost the full-max - like $22M/yr - then I would consider it. However, while I think he is very solid all-around and he is still only 24,I don't think he is quite the player to take us to the next level. I think Danny would probably just attempt to extend/renegotiate IT/AB/Smart, sign a big or two with the minimum/room exception and call it a day. I am not so sure our very own AB isn't worth what Porter is worth and we stand to lose him next offseason.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:40:40 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Unless the swing is a clear star, why block the two young swings?

Porter is not enough of a PF to add. 

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
If we miss out on Hayward, Griffin, PG13 would...

Rudy Gay be a second tier target?

No. Our Rookie and Jaylen are better than 2nd Tier SFs and their contracts. Millsap would be the player I look at.
Perhaps.  I'm just concerned about reconstituting a front line (Atlanta) that has already proven to not be enough.

I understand your concern but Bostons backcourt and SFs are a hell of a lot better than Atlanta's were.

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 11:49:37 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
On paper it looks like Porter should be a budding star, but he just seems to disappear in games. I don't know if it's his mentality or what. Based on his assist numbers he doesn't seem like a really multidimensional player, nor a guy with the attitude to be a lockdown defender (what his role should be on a team with Wall and Beal). I'm hoping he will be overpaid by Washington or some other team so that they will be stuck with a very blah player.

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 11:58:20 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
No- I think Tatum will be better. I have no interest in curbing Jaylen/Jayson's progress by playing another young guy like Porter.

I agree, and I'll add that I think JB is better than Otto Porter right now.

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2017, 07:04:35 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
he's similar to last year's Harrison Barnes, team will overpay him to bet the slightest chance that he'll be better than he is now.

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 07:06:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Max money on Otto Porter?

Not a good idea AT ALL. People complain that Horford is overpaid, but once we sign Porter and he doesn't do much...  :o
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 07:13:32 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
God no.

I know.  Why on earth would we want a player who shot 43% from 3, would have finished second on the Celtics in rebounds, led all non-centers in eFG%, had the lowest turnover rate in the league, and just turned 24 earlier this month?

May almighty powers keep this waste of a player from us.

TP, this is my favorite reply of all time.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 07:15:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
God no.

I know.  Why on earth would we want a player who shot 43% from 3, would have finished second on the Celtics in rebounds, led all non-centers in eFG%, had the lowest turnover rate in the league, and just turned 24 earlier this month?

But @saltlover, he averages 14/6 and as we saw last season with Horford, if he put up the same production, we'd be debating whether he's the worst max-signing in the history of the NBA  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
God no.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Boston to sign Porter and then turn around and resign Bradley and Thomas. Porter seemed to disappear a bit on the ECSF and I think I'd prefer to keep AB and Thomas over him, as I believe both to be better players. Had we selected Fultz I'd be more willing to lose AB because of the larger log jam that would have presented at the 1 and 2.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 07:27:38 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
God no.

But @saltlover, he averages 14/6 and as we saw last season with Horford, if he put up the same production, we'd be debating whether he's the worst max-signing in the history of the NBA  :laugh:
Both of you guys make good points.  Porter's efficiency is great but he doesn't seem like much of a creator.  I wonder how he'd do playing on a team where the two guards don't take all of the shots.

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 08:27:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think a small forward who can play some minutes at power forward is not a position of need for the C's right now. If it's a big upgrade like Hayward or George, I get it. But Porter doesn't seem like an upgrade over any of our guys that can do that already.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2017, 08:50:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think a small forward who can play some minutes at power forward is not a position of need for the C's right now. If it's a big upgrade like Hayward or George, I get it. But Porter doesn't seem like an upgrade over any of our guys that can do that already.

I disagree.  He'd be the best we have next year at the position.  Whether that's enough of an upgrade given the long-term resources we have invested there is a different question, but he'd be our best there unless Jaylen Brown takes a monster leap in year 2.