Author Topic: Jayson Tatum best game last season vs Notre Dame - ACC Tourney championship  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
So at one point, his Jr. Year I believe, Tatum was the #1 player in his class.  So he got talent.

If Tatum ends up becoming the best player from this draft (at least better than Fultz and Jackson) , plus the future pick ends up becoming a stud as well....

*clap clap*

But also, I can see teams less willing to deal with Danny

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I don't think this was his best game. I watched a lot of that tourney and he was probably better in the semifinal and quarterfinal games.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I hate to be a downer, but I really hope his finishing ability translates to the NBA. Watching his highlights, I can't help but notice that he rarely completes a move to pass by (i.e., quickness/space) or get through a defender (i.e., explosiveness/strength). From what I've seen he's primarily making drives against opposing bigs (not SFs), using his slight quickness advantage and decent handles create a nice look. I'm not sure how that will look against stronger and more athletic players.

I share similar concerns.
Some nice plays but the defenders here are just awful. He needs more extension on his finishes if he's going to score vs NBA length when driving to the basket.

The good news is that he can create his own shot off the dribble and his footwork is excellent.
He hits some very, very tough shots that he'll only improve at with reps in the gym.

Needs a quicker first step and create more separation using his body/length at rim when finishing. He kind of cups the ball for some reason, maybe his hands aren't big enough or something.

That being said, he looks like he should become a bigger, stronger version of Evan Turner with a legit 3 point shot and more post game- which would basically be an All Star in today's NBA.

One of his biggest weaknesses to me is only averaging 2 assists a game especially with shooters like Kennard, Grayson Allen and Jones around him.

But...There's certainly TRUCKLOADS of potential there and he has the right character/work ethic.
I'm still not convinced he'll be better than Fultz but I really hope he proves me wrong.
I'm hoping that he improves athletically the way Jabari did...without the injuries and Tatum is leaner. I say Jabari because they both had foot injuries going into college. The difference is that Tatum injured his foot and missed the first 8 games, along with practices and traning camps/2 a days, while Jabari had the whole summer and fall to recover from his sr year injury.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I don't think this was his best game. I watched a lot of that tourney and he was probably better in the semifinal and quarterfinal games.

still... with 3 min left.... 1 point game.   He was the difference maker

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I hate to be a downer, but I really hope his finishing ability translates to the NBA. Watching his highlights, I can't help but notice that he rarely completes a move to pass by (i.e., quickness/space) or get through a defender (i.e., explosiveness/strength). From what I've seen he's primarily making drives against opposing bigs (not SFs), using his slight quickness advantage and decent handles create a nice look. I'm not sure how that will look against stronger and more athletic players.

Some nice plays but the defenders here are just awful. He needs more extension on his finishes if he's going to score vs NBA length when driving to the basket.

The good news is that he can create his own shot off the dribble and his footwork is excellent.
He hits some very, very tough shots that he'll only improve at with reps in the gym.

Needs a quicker first step and create more separation using his body/length at rim when finishing. He kind of cups the ball for some reason, maybe his hands aren't big enough or something.

That being said, he looks like he should become a bigger, stronger version of Evan Turner with a legit 3 point shot and more post game- which would basically be an All Star in today's NBA.

One of his biggest weaknesses to me is only averaging 2 assists a game especially with shooters like Kennard, Grayson Allen and Jones around him.

But...There's certainly TRUCKLOADS of potential there and he has the right character/work ethic.
I'm still not convinced he'll be better than Fultz but I really hope he proves me wrong.
I'm hoping that he improves athletically the way Jabari did...without the injuries and Tatum is leaner. I say Jabari because they both had foot injuries going into college. The difference is that Tatum injured his foot and missed the first 8 games, along with practices and traning camps/2 a days, while Jabari had the whole summer and fall to recover from his sr year injury.

I'm not sold on Jabari Parker on the defensive end.... I have higher hopes for Tatum though

Parker is mainly a PF at the nba level (but a little undersized and only a 8'8-8'9 reach).  From standstill doesn't have much burst and has problems keeping up with guards

vs Tatum who has better tools to guard the 4 and 3 (8'11 reach) and better burst from standstill to guard smaller players

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
cool and collected .  Did not panic when it was his job to get a bucket.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

I'm not sold on Jabari Parker on the defensive end.... I have higher hopes for Tatum though

Parker is mainly a PF at the nba level (but a little undersized and only a 8'8-8'9 reach).  From standstill doesn't have much burst and has problems keeping up with guards

vs Tatum who has better tools to guard the 4 and 3 (8'11 reach) and better burst from standstill to guard smaller players
I agree and TP for mentioning standing reach....I luv measurements baby. I thought my post came off as the athletic progress Jabari made from Duke to the NBA can be replicated, and then some, by Tatum who also had a foot injury and is much leaner at 205 lbs vs Jabari's 240.

IMO Jabari is a 3 but bc of the team he is on (mostly bc Middleton and Giannis)he has to play the 4 and his overall game has been misused and temporarily stunted while he trains to be a better 4 instead of working on getting leaner to guard 2's and 3's. I always wished we could have traded 4  Jabari(before his 3rd year and pre 2nd injury, though I would not rule him out at all) because it was clear that he was being misused and possesses severely better playmaking skills than his stats show.

Tatum is not only longer and leaner than Jabari but he also posses a better shot at being a legit 2-way SF and even guard 1-5 eventually....he also has a better shot and has the ability to improve his shot even more bc of easy fixes to his shot mechanics and motion.