Author Topic: According To ESPN, There Was A Rumored 5-Team MEGA Deal That Fell Apart  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1583117

https://www.facebook.com/basketballforever/

The New York Knicks were reportedly involved in a 5 team MEGA Deal that would have sent both Carmelo Anthony and Paul George to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The deal fell through because no team (Indiana, New York, Cleveland, Denver, or Phoenix) wanted to take on the contract of Kevin Love. (Per ESPN)

What could have been... 

WOW. That's insane. Kind of glad it didn't happen, but it's also amazing how no team wanted Kevin Love at all, but I guess that explains the lack of trades from Cleveland's side (so far), and no team would probably be willing to give up a good pick + good player to acquire him.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/22/denver-nuggets-nba-draft-2017/

The Nuggets swung big before the NBA draft Thursday night. But the optimism that came with the addition of two new players was tempered by a draft-day trade that melted down at the last minute.

“We were very far along in one,” trade discussion, said Tim Connelly, the Nuggets’ director of basketball operations. “We thought it was done. At the 11th hour, one of the teams involved had a change of heart. While we had countless conversations, there was one in particular we thought was going to take place. It’s never a deal until you have a handshake and a deal and it never got to that point.”

It's POSSIBLE this was the deal that Denver was upset about "falling apart" last minute.

Again, this is just a rumor, BUT they discussed it in an ESPN podcast apparently and many sites are talking about it now.

Idk about you guys, but I'm kind of bored now after the Draft. Hopefully FA talks really pick up soon  :P  :laugh:

HERE IS THE ESPN PODCAST: http://m.espn.com/general/play?id=19720425&wjb
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Kevin Love is still a terrific player. This baffles me.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah, it baffles me he's like the "only scapegoat" in all of this, but I guess such is the life of the "third wheel".

I mean, Cleveland's bench for the most part was horrible in the Finals, and Irving could have done better some of the games too. Wasn't only because of Love.

But yeah, as good as he is, if a team had to give up their Top-10 pick AND a good young player to acquire Love, I doubt they'd do it too. And rebuilding teams wouldn't want to take back Love and his $22M either.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I really don't believe it. All they had to do was get Brooklyn involved and they would've taken Love in a heartbeat.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Nobody wants love lol

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I really don't believe it. All they had to do was get Brooklyn involved and they would've taken Love in a heartbeat.

Yeah I truthfully don't either. This looks way too complicated to believe.

I mean, NYK are "desperate" to get rid of Melo, and CLE seem ready to deal Love if needed.

Could easily just swap Love for Melo, OR between LAC and NYK, swap DeAndre Jordan + bench player for Melo.

Now if Cleveland really wanted Paul George too, then yeah, it's possible it was discussed.

But looking at it, a few teams would have probably got screwed in the process.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

If this story is actually true (which I have my doubts about), I think the Kevin Love bit is... poorly explained. I don't think finding a taker for Kevin Love was the issue, I think the issue was finding a taker for Kevin Love at the price required for the deal

Just think about it. The Cavs weren't gonna let themselves end up on the short side of the deal. Neither were the Pacers. The Knicks likely weren't asking for much, so not much to lose there. But the team taking Love? The team that wasn't yet decided yet? I can guarantee that that team was gonna be picking up the slack on the deal. Pacers want a ridiculous price for George? Cavs will give up Love and a pick or two, then the team getting Love has to make up the difference.

So, if the issue was finding someone to take Love for free, the deal would have happened. He's a great player who has won a Championship and is making *only* $24 million. Someone would have taken him. But giving up enough to grease all the wheels on this deal? Not gonna happen. (And this is the issue with all multi-team deals. Every team wants to come out on top, but that's pretty much impossible. So the deals fall apart)
I'm bitter.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
since Love s stock is at rock bottom ...

how about Zeller and couple second rounders in trade 😊

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

And why would we help Cleveland?
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Zeller and a couple second rounders could help Cleveland? Celtics need rebounders and some extra weapons lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I read somewhere that the Year the cavs won the championship, the team still lost 40m due to luxury tax. it's amazing how invested in a championship the Cavs are man.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Zeller and a couple second rounders could help Cleveland? Celtics need rebounders and some extra weapons lol.

Rebounders needn't be expensive. It's the scorers who are expensive.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Yeah I truthfully don't either. This looks way too complicated to believe.

I mean, NYK are "desperate" to get rid of Melo, and CLE seem ready to deal Love if needed.

Could easily just swap Love for Melo, OR between LAC and NYK, swap DeAndre Jordan + bench player for Melo.

Now if Cleveland really wanted Paul George too, then yeah, it's possible it was discussed.

But looking at it, a few teams would have probably got screwed in the process.

I don't think the Cavs can afford George right now, much less take on Anthony. Even losing Love. Their owner is behaving like he wants to get back under the cap. He got his championship.

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Come on guys it's Shaq attack he's just joking hence the :-)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Come on guys it's Shaq attack he's just joking hence the :-)

When you're talking about a potential blockbuster by giving away GodZeller and some 2nds, it's no joke  >:(

;)