Author Topic: What to do if the stars all go elsewhere?  (Read 4749 times)

Re: What to do if the stars all go elsewhere?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2017, 01:15:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
When is Klay Thompson available?   GSW is going to have a hard time keeping all of that together (if they win 1 more chip I Can see Klay being ready to get from beneath the shadow ala Kobe and Shaq)
Some team will likely offer him the max, which I really don't think he's worth.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 01:19:34 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
When is Klay Thompson available?   GSW is going to have a hard time keeping all of that together (if they win 1 more chip I Can see Klay being ready to get from beneath the shadow ala Kobe and Shaq)

If he goes to a team with a good PG, he would be well worth it IMO.

Nobody in the league shoots it like him when he's hot. His defense is also very good.

I'd be much more comfortable giving him the max than Green. Green seems like a product of the Warriors much more than Klay.

I consider him a better Bradley Beal. What did he get, like 5yr/$130M?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2017, 01:28:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Dont think green, curry, thompson are going anywhere anytimr soon

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2017, 03:07:08 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
if everything goes wrong---we will have a very good team....but will get dumped early in the playoffs.

if everything goes RIGHT---we will only have about FOUR players from last year's roster.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2017, 06:42:08 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
We keep building through the draft and with trades.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2017, 06:49:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
keep trading lesser players and drafting high .

wait out Lebron to retire.

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I guess the root of my question is:

If none of the guys I mentioned are coming, then who is the next target, and how long do the Celts need to wait to go after that target?

I don't think Danny is ever going to stop trying to make that one big move that'll vault the team to contention.

Either Porzingis or Davis at this time... Who knows when either could be available via trade

Danny is trying to build a "dual" team.   It benefits the young guys more than it does vets like IT4, Horford.

Youre right, Porzingis is probably the next target if Hayward / George fall through.
It seems like New York really wanted to dump Noah along with Porzingis. Maybe there's a deal to be made where, if the C's can't get one of the main targets, they send NY something like Crowder and future assets and the C's get Porzingis and use the cap space to take in Noah.

Noah's contract sucks but maybe he can be a veteran mentor for Zizic? It's also possible that after 2 years and the cap is flattned, expiring contracts could have value again so, best case scenario, it would only be a burden for 2 years instead of 3.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2017, 05:37:33 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

He's totally worth the max, one of the best 2 way players in the league. At this point anyone making all-star games is a max player, that's the new system. People seem to think that only super stars are max guys but they are going to have to learn that's not the case. What they need to do is lower the amount for a max contract. If you have guys making $30m a year and the cap is $100m obviously that doesn't make and sense but that's the NBA!

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
I actually think this is the most likely to happen.

But it's not so bad, we still have a ECF worthy team, Brown, Rozier, Smart will get better, adding Zizic will help. We'll probably loose KO, but If Tatum is any good he should be able to fill the gap. Maybe use the cap space to sort out IT's contract.

The east conference has actually gotten worse, so I expect us to be No.1 seat next year and face Cavs again in the conference finals.

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

But it's not so bad, we still have a ECF worthy team, Brown, Rozier, Smart will get better, adding Zizic will help. We'll probably loose KO, but If Tatum is any good he should be able to fill the gap. Maybe use the cap space to sort out IT's contract.

The east conference has actually gotten worse, so I expect us to be No.1 seat next year and face Cavs again in the conference finals.
That's very optimistic but possible. We have made essential moves over the past year to add the right FA's and I understand that getting Horford was part of plan to get Durant. If we lose out on Hayward it will be a smack in the face for the missed opportunities and possibly shows that we should have taken the team in a different direction.

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

As a whole, yes. But the top of the East is improving. Milwaukee is very young and should improves substantially. Toronto is likely to return their whole squad and we never really got to see how good they'd be with a fully healthy Lowry and Ibaka + time to mesh. Washington is incredibly young and should keep their whole core. Obviously Cleveland is cleveland.

the top 5 in the East is as good as it's been in years.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2017, 07:14:34 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
If we strike out on FA i say we start the rookies Zizic and Taum and get them experience. If we loose out then we got 3 top ten picks next year

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2017, 07:41:20 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If we strike out on FA i say we start the rookies Zizic and Taum and get them experience. If we loose out then we got 3 top ten picks next year
We already got IT, Horford, Bradley and Crowder. No way we are a lotto team next season unless you mean we should trade the vets and tank which is flat out crazy. Not to mention the Lakers pick is heavily protected so it's likely we will end up with just one lotto pick in the 2018 draft.

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2017, 07:48:07 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39

True. I dont think Ball, Ingram and Lopez gets that team out of the top 5 tho. We could still get to use that pick
We already got IT, Horford, Bradley and Crowder. No way we are a lotto team next season unless you mean we should trade the vets and tank which is flat out crazy. Not to mention the Lakers pick is heavily protected so it's likely we will end up with just one lotto pick in the 2018 draft.

True, but i dont see Ball, Ingram and Lopez getting them out of the top 5 pick next year so we may still use the pick

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2017, 07:51:16 PM »

Offline BDubs

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 54
  • Can a brother get some Tommy points!
I guess the root of my question is:

If none of the guys I mentioned are coming, then who is the next target, and how long do the Celts need to wait to go after that target?

I don't think Danny is ever going to stop trying to make that one big move that'll vault the team to contention.

Either Porzingis or Davis at this time... Who knows when either could be available via trade

Danny is trying to build a "dual" team.   It benefits the young guys more than it does vets like IT4, Horford.

Youre right, Porzingis is probably the next target if Hayward / George fall through.
It seems like New York really wanted to dump Noah along with Porzingis. Maybe there's a deal to be made where, if the C's can't get one of the main targets, they send NY something like Crowder and future assets and the C's get Porzingis and use the cap space to take in Noah.

Noah's contract sucks but maybe he can be a veteran mentor for Zizic? It's also possible that after 2 years and the cap is flattned, expiring contracts could have value again so, best case scenario, it would only be a burden for 2 years instead of 3.

I agree that Porzingis needs to be the target in this scenario, but I think the better play is swallowing hard & gambling on Carmelo along with Porzingis, being one of the few teams in contention with the ability to absorb Carmelos contract I would assume give the Celtics some leverage & maybe gives them a small chance of making it happen without using the Brooklyn pick.

Taking Carmelo for a season or two & giving him a real shot at redemption along with getting a young stud like Porzingis actually sounds better to me than pinning our hopes on Hayward or Griffin. This would be the ultimate win now move to go along with adding an elite young prospect to hold down the center spot for the next decade