Author Topic: What to do if the stars all go elsewhere?  (Read 4784 times)

What to do if the stars all go elsewhere?
« on: June 24, 2017, 02:42:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Let's talk about a hypothetical.

Im not saying this will happen. I'm not being a chicken little. But I want to discuss this possibility.

Let's say this summer:

- Paul George is traded to the Lakers or Heat.

- Hayward stays in Utah.

- Griffin stays in LA.

What do the Celts do in that situation? With Butler also off the table, it seems to me that the Celts would kinda be out of options with respect to improving the team in a major way for the short term.

There's always next summer, I suppose, but will the Celts have cap space at that point? They'll have to re-sign Thomas, Smart, and possibly Bradley.

If it looks like the options for maximizing the present by adding another big name without giving up any of the best future pieces, what should the Celts do?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: What to do if the stars all go elsewhere?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This would be so disappointing. I recognise that it can happen, and that there is a solid chance of it actually occurring, but it'd still be a bummer.

If this did happen, and we started to pursue second tier guys like Gallinari I'd be bummed out. I'd rather we try and maintain cap flexibility and roll into the '17-'18 season. Maybe a trade opens up during the season? But I'd hope DA would stand pat into the next season. I wouldn't be surprised if Crowder was moved in an attempt to solidify our bigs, but other than that I'm not sure what I would expect.

On the other hand, like you point out, standing pat and waiting for the 2018 free agency is dangerous because of all the people that are coming out of contract by then, which would be a very risky strategy.

All in all, I would hope DA pursues some big firework trade during the season (similar to the Cousins deal [just Brown is off the table  ;) ]), but if he just rolled with what we already have I wouldn't be disappointed nor surprised.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 03:06:43 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Either renegotiate IT's contract to a max (would be ~$25 million per year for 4 years including next season) or use the cap space to absorb Melo's contract (don't give up anything other than a 2nd rounder or two in the deal). No need to give up assets or tie up cap space long term for players on the Bradley/Galinnari/Waiters tier
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:18:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
While not ideal, we would not be facing catastrophe for our Celtics.

The Celtics would retain all of their key players, or most of them, but add tatum'scoring, theis' on the bench, and both brown and rozier have improved.

Enough improvement to nudge past Cleveland? I don't think so, but still a better team than last year..

I would enjoy the season and enjoy the youngsters growing up.  There are worse fates in life.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Im not saying this will happen. I'm not being a chicken little. But I want to discuss this possibility.

Let's say this summer:

- Hayward stays in Utah.

- Griffin stays in LA.

What do the Celts do in that situation?

I think they do what they did last season - make the Conference Finals.

People seem to forget that the strategy here is to constantly contend...for at least a decade.  It is not to either bottom out for an extended period of time all throw all the chips in for a 2-3 year shot.  Look at Cleveland for how that latter scenario is coming undone...

We all have to understand that every player on this roster (save for a Lebron-like talent) will be traded at some point.  Look no further than KG and Pierce.  There is nothing wrong with going forward with the current team, trying to sneak in the Finals, then spinning IT and Horford to another contender when they are at the end of their deals, and net some more 1st rounders.  Rinse, repeat.

The difference now versus KG/Pierce /Rondo is that the younger core will be filled with elite prospects versus the Sullingers and James Youngs of the world.  We may never see a Brooklyn-like trade again, but we can see IT or Bradley going for an unprotected 1st for sure.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 03:37:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Let's say this summer:

- Hayward stays in Utah.

- Griffin stays in LA.

What do the Celts do in that situation? With Butler also off the table, it seems to me that the Celts would kinda be out of options with respect to improving the team in a major way for the short term.

There's always next summer, I suppose, but will the Celts have cap space at that point? They'll have to re-sign Thomas, Smart, and possibly Bradley.

If it looks like the options for maximizing the present by adding another big name without giving up any of the best future pieces, what should the Celts do?

Just play

Would like to see the Celtics still reconstruct

Trade rozier and crowder for future assets.  Maybe sign Waiters to a decent contract

Play brown, tatum lots of min

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 03:56:11 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Stand pat.  Keep our good assets.  Don't sign any contracts that can't be easily moved.  Good rule of thumb: if a move would hurt our chances to get AD next off-season don't do it. 

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 04:01:16 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

The Celtics would retain all of their key players, or most of them, but add tatum'scoring, theis' on the bench, and both brown and rozier have improved.

Enough improvement to nudge past Cleveland? I don't think so, but still a better team than last year..

I would enjoy the season and enjoy the youngsters growing up.  There are worse fates in life.  ;D

We also add Zizic this year.  So we are really adding Zizic, Tatum, Ojeleye, Theis, and possibly Nader.  Not sure that all those 5 make the final roster, but if we do end up trading for PG we probably need a few of those low cost contracts. 

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'd say this is pretty likely.  There are downsides to most of those elite players either FAs or in trades.

Hayward will suck up lots of cap space, for quite a while.  Griffin is an injury risk.  George may not stay.  Melo is just a bad fit in so many ways.

My general idea is to trade Crowder for a decent and bonafide big, but I don't know who. 

Failing that, sign Serge Ibaka or bring back Amir on a small deal.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 04:08:59 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

We also add Zizic this year.  So we are really adding Zizic, Tatum, Ojeleye, Theis, Yabusele and possibly Nader and perhaps one or more of the 2nd rounders chosen this year.  Not sure that all those 6+ make the final roster, but if we do end up trading for PG we probably need a few of those low cost contracts.
There, fixed it for ya'

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 04:10:46 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
I'd say this is pretty likely.  There are downsides to most of those elite players either FAs or in trades.

Hayward will suck up lots of cap space, for quite a while.  Griffin is an injury risk.  George may not stay.  Melo is just a bad fit in so many ways.

My general idea is to trade Crowder for a decent and bonafide big, but I don't know who. 

Failing that, sign Serge Ibaka or bring back Amir on a small deal.

I actually think it is pretty likely as well.  If we don't snag Hayward, I can't see us dealing Jae though.  Not sure Brown will be starting from day 1 this season, and unless a Crowder trade brings back a decent big (better than KO, better than Jerebko, not sure who that is?) I would hang onto Jae.  I don't know about Amir though, he seemed really cooked last year.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

We also add Zizic this year.  So we are really adding Zizic, Tatum, Ojeleye, Theis, Yabusele and possibly Nader and perhaps one or more of the 2nd rounders chosen this year.  Not sure that all those 6+ make the final roster, but if we do end up trading for PG we probably need a few of those low cost contracts.
There, fixed it for ya'

But I thought Yab wasn't coming over this year?  Did that change?  Ojeleye is a 2nd rounder, our other 2nd rounders have absolutely no chance of making the roster imo.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 04:19:18 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I think if that happens they will use the cap space in other ways. They could extend Isaiah or Bradley, using some money this year to help offset the cost of their contracts later on. in terms of free agents, they'll probably use whatever space they have to sign 1+1s to keep their flexibility and hope another star becomes available in the future.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 04:26:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

There, fixed it for ya'

But I thought Yab wasn't coming over this year?  Did that change?  Ojeleye is a 2nd rounder, our other 2nd rounders have absolutely no chance of making the roster imo.
Not sure about that.  Depending on how SL and camp goes, I could see some making a run at a roster spot.  Remember, the following seven players would need a new contract to stay:
Olynyk, Mickey, G. Green, Young (gone already), Jerebko, A. Johnson, Zeller.