Author Topic: Did Thursday night end the way Danny wanted it to?  (Read 3214 times)

Did Thursday night end the way Danny wanted it to?
« on: June 24, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
After he made the trade with Philly, he certainly had a plan in mind.  Of course, he had contingency plans (ie. Plan A, Plan B, Plan C etc.). 

But there was a #1 priority/Plan A they were hoping to achieve.  Was drafting Tatum, Plan A? Plan B? Or was flipping the #3 pick in a trade his main priority?

We know what he is publicly saying, but he definitely had a "Big Board" of potential outcomes Thursday night?  Did he accomplish #1 on that board?

Re: Did Thursday night end the way Danny wanted it to?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:08:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
After he made the trade with Philly, he certainly had a plan in mind.  Of course, he had contingency plans (ie. Plan A, Plan B, Plan C etc.). 

But there was a #1 priority/Plan A they were hoping to achieve.  Was drafting Tatum, Plan A? Plan B? Or was flipping the #3 pick in a trade his main priority?

We know what he is publicly saying, but he definitely had a "Big Board" of potential outcomes Thursday night?  Did he accomplish #1 on that board?

If drafting Tatum Plan A, there is no Plan B.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:20:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
far as WhO he drafted ......like a few of us reconized way back during the college ACC playoffs .....I saw Tatum and immediately my brain clicked to CBS .   Well mannored , quiet , strong , very skilled and smooth , with a CBS feel for making the rigjt play ....pass , shoot , screen .....very steady and beautiful shot from outside and some post moves.  Very methodical like,Horford or Tim Duncan .

Does he have the motor,and attitude to make a star in tue NBA .....will to,be the best ? 

it was always Tatum.....he was meant for CBS to develop .

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 01:26:55 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Yes. The team clearly prefers to reload via free agency and the draft

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
Fair enough.  So when Danny completed the trade with Philly, drafting Tatum was #1 on his "Wish List"?

I believe he wanted Tatum if he were to keep the pick.  However,  I wonder if using the #3 pick was his first choice. 

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think so. Tatum was clearly the guy they wanted at #3, so that's a success. There's no way they expected Ojeleye to be available at #37 and were clearly thrilled that he fell, so that's a success. And realistically, I doubt Danny expected to land an established star in a trade, so that's not a negative. I think the night went according to plan.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 01:51:53 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm sure he would have been happier with other possible outcomes  (say, the Warriors deciding to blow it up in exchange for the #3 and #37 picks), but I definitely think he was happy with the outcome

FA is the big question mark this year
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 906
Yes, it did.

Danny may have been hoping for other things to happen but, realistically, it worked out as well as he could have asked.

Obviously, he knows stuff that we don't. If he knew then that he would have a shot at Hayward and George, Thursday couldn't have worked out better.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
As many have suggested, it ended more the way Brad wanted it to, which was by design.

Let's see if it stays that way. I think it will.

The Cs seem fully committed to Brad's Butler paradigm wherein the system is the star. The Big Three model is passe, a relic of a bygone era that unfortunately arrived and departed far too quickly for everyone. Any future star will emerge from the system, will be grown in-house, much like Hayward was at Butler.

Everyone is betting that a finely-tuned and exceptionally well-coached up group of high character-and-value and supremely versatile players who "play the right way" can win it all. That remains to be seen. Regardless, as a process, it's fascinating and much more enjoyable to watch, as far as I'm concerned.

Danny will acquire someone like George only on terms that essentially constitute a bargain for the Celts and then only if the player has Stevens' imprimatur  insofar as coachability, unselfishness and versatility, i.e., being fundamentally a positionless player. This apparently wasn't the case with Butler or, for that matter, Jackson.

Hayward ticks off every box, as did Tatum. George, not so much.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
All valid points.

On another note, u think Danny had a little regret thinking he could have gotten Porzingis if he kept the #1 pick until at least Wednesday?

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
As many have suggested, it ended more the way Brad wanted it to, which was by design.

Let's see if it stays that way. I think it will.

The Cs seem fully committed to Brad's Butler paradigm wherein the system is the star. The Big Three model is passe, a relic of a bygone era that unfortunately arrived and departed far too quickly for everyone. Any future star will emerge from the system, will be grown in-house, much like Hayward was at Butler.

Everyone is betting that a finely-tuned and exceptionally well-coached up group of high character-and-value and supremely versatile players who "play the right way" can win it all. That remains to be seen. Regardless, as a process, it's fascinating and much more enjoyable to watch, as far as I'm concerned.

Danny will acquire someone like George only on terms that essentially constitute a bargain for the Celts and then only if the player has Stevens' imprimatur  insofar as coachability, unselfishness and versatility, i.e., being fundamentally a positionless player. This apparently wasn't the case with Butler or, for that matter, Jackson.

Hayward ticks off every box, as did Tatum. George, not so much.

I hope you mean that in the "it wasn't a bargain for the Celts" way because Butler is up there in versatility. Handles the ball, makes plays, defends 1-3, great rebounder for his position.
- LilRip

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 02:36:59 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
All valid points.

On another note, u think Danny had a little regret thinking he could have gotten Porzingis if he kept the #1 pick until at least Wednesday?

No. The reported asking price was way too high, having the #1 instead of #3 + LA pick wouldn't have brought it down to a reasonable level. Phil Jackson was serious enough about moving Porzingis for it to matter
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 02:37:18 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I don't think keeping the #1 pick would have gotten Porzingis alone. Phil was likely asking for too much (and rightfully so). Three top 3 picks would be a lot, considering Brown, Tatum, and next year's pick are all so young.

Jaylen has the potential to be Jimmy Butler, Tatum has the potential to be Carmelo/Pierce, and Ayton/Bamba could be the next great centers.

Porzingis has the potential to be better than Dirk.

With so much uncertainty, I like taking the greater number of chances (3 guys) versus just one.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 02:47:34 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I think it's a fair assumption that it didnt go according to Plan A. I think Ainge's priority was to trade for a star (not necessarily using #3) like PG. Regardless, I think Tatum was also Ainge's first choice in the draft so it's not like it turned out terribly for him.

Looking at the Butler price tag (Lavine, Dunn, #7), the asking price for PG might've been similar, which is to say 2 intriguing prospects and a lottery pick. You gotta think someone like Brown would've been in the asking price. Maybe JB, Rozier and a lottery pick (3 or LAL). Ainge probably wanted to keep Brown though. Again, just speculating.
- LilRip

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 02:52:27 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Do we know Danny wanted Tatum and not Jackson?  I think he may have been considering Jackson but his shenanigans turned him off.