Author Topic: Did Celts miss an opportunity not trading Bradley for the 7th overall pick?  (Read 2230 times)

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I just wanted to revisit the little trade detail that came out during the whole Porzingis flirtation that took up about a half-day of my time. Now, we know that eventually the T-Wolves dealt the 7th pick for Butler so it's possible the option came off the table. However, earlier in the day it was reported that the Celtics thought the 7th pick was acquirable for Bradley, after which they would include that pick in a Porzingis deal.

Bradley is going to be a FA in one year and almost everyone expects the Celtics to not be able to re-sign him. If we could have gotten the 7th pick for him in a deep draft 1-10 where picks were being treated like gold, why not make the deal regardless of Porzingis?

I realize that we need Bradley this season but that is amazing value for him. I know Danny loves Avery, but to me, the 7th pick is worth more than one season of Avery, regardless of whether we are trying to win now.

What does everyone think? The most logical explanation is Bradley's salary is required for a potential trade for George. If he IS dealt for George, it still creates a hole at SG one year early though. Does that mean Brown steps in and starts in his second year? Is his shooting there yet? Or what about a cheap free agent?

I have to admit that even though more rookies isn't what this team needs right now, the thought of taking Malik Monk at #7 would have been a tantalizing proposition.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No.  They can still trade him for a future pick or (more importantly) in a larger trade for a star.

Plus he is still more valuable as a player then a rookie from that slot.

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
It was reported that the Celtics were talking about acquiring the No. 7 pick and people speculated on here that we could get it for Bradley, but I can't see any way that Minnesota would have traded No. 7 straight up for one year of Bradley. Bradley plus a late future first, maybe.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I love Avery Bradley, but even the dumbest GM in the NBA would not trade the 7th pick for him. He isn't that good. Never mind the fact he only has 1 year left on his contract.

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It was reported that the Celtics were talking about acquiring the No. 7 pick and people speculated on here that we could get it for Bradley, but I can't see any way that Minnesota would have traded No. 7 straight up for one year of Bradley. Bradley plus a late future first, maybe.

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't remember where Bradley's name came up but it probably was just speculation from this board. Nevermind!

I do still think Bradley's potential lack of a replacement is a potential issue that nobody seems to talk about. It pretty much has to be Brown, right?

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
It looked to me that Minnesota got a better offer:  Buttler > Bradley  ;)

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I think if Malik Monk is given time he can be a great PG. He has a 6'6'' wingspan and 8'4'' standing reach at 6'3''....so he has the physical tools to defend at the point but he needs to work on his defense and playmaking. Same situation as Chauncy Bilups.

Monk played PG through HS and a few scouts believe he can play it in the NBA.

Imagine having Monk at PG after being groomed by good coaches, defenders and the right system.....

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It looked to me that Minnesota got a better offer:  Buttler > Bradley  ;)
Pretty much what I thought.

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
No. Probably a key player added in the George deal.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't remember where Bradley's name came up but it probably was just speculation from this board. Nevermind!

I do still think Bradley's potential lack of a replacement is a potential issue that nobody seems to talk about. It pretty much has to be Brown, right?

I think if we hit a grand slam and got both Hayward and George, Hayward would be the SG in big lineups, and Smart would be in the small-ball lineup. I could see them wanting Smart to control the second unit so maybe Brown would be the SG. Imagine a 2-3-4 of Brown/Hayward/George? They can switch on everyone.

If we don't get Hayward and/or George, I don't see the need to move Bradley.
CELTICS 2024

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think maybe Ainge prefers to give up Bradley for George. Bradley is certainly going in any trade for George. Bradley and Crowder for George works on the ESPN trade machine--Hollinger minus 6 for the Pacers.

This deal could be done without any draft picks. The Pacers get Bradley for at least one year. They get Crowder for two years. Both with favorable contracts. Bradley can re-sign with Pacers, or with Boston if George doesn't extend there.

This is a nice deal for both teams, particularly for the Pacers who are not re-signing George.

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I'm sure it wouldve taken more than just AB to get the #7. I know Ainge loves AB but he'd be crazy not to swap 1 year of Bradley for the #7 pick in a strong draft.