Author Topic: Theoretically how much could we save by trading Horford somewhere  (Read 2067 times)

Re: Theoretically how much could we save by trading Horford somewhere
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 12:29:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not sure how much we could save.  But I know how much we'll lose....

All credibility with future potential free agents.  It's been tough enough to get bigger FA to consider us, what kind of message would we send by shipping out our biggest true FA signing one year into their deal?

Besides, is Atlanta taking a gigantic PR hit due to trading Howard after one year? I think it is a little overstated.

Howard has worn out his welcome in his last couple of stops because of chemistry issues as much as anything.  Other free agents are as aware as anyone about this.  On the other hand, Horford has been a model citizen and a team player all the way.

I think all would be forgiven if Horford went to a winning situation.

Who needs to be forgiven, and for what??

The Celtics clearly feel that the Horford signing was a huge success, in any case, and while Aldridge may well be on the move, it won't be for Horford.

You keep only quoting one sentence of my posts. I was more responding to dchuck's assertion (and a lot of people have said this) that it will damage our future chances of signing a big FA. If the Cs trade Horford to a good situation, there will be no ill will (ie, we will be forgiven).

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

All credibility with future potential free agents.  It's been tough enough to get bigger FA to consider us, what kind of message would we send by shipping out our biggest true FA signing one year into their deal?

Besides, is Atlanta taking a gigantic PR hit due to trading Howard after one year? I think it is a little overstated.

Howard has worn out his welcome in his last couple of stops because of chemistry issues as much as anything.  Other free agents are as aware as anyone about this.  On the other hand, Horford has been a model citizen and a team player all the way.

Agreed.

Plus, Howard probably just took the best offer he got, he's not loyal. He's a clown who didn't do much for Atlanta (lost in the first round). Horford I believe left more guaranteed money on the table in Atlanta to come to us. He believed in this franchise and tried to get KD here. That didn't work out but he - along with IT - raised the team to new heights. We are a 53-win team with him as our second best player. If we make him our third- or fourth-best player? I don't care how much he's getting paid, that's a [dang] good team.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

I think all would be forgiven if Horford went to a winning situation.

Who needs to be forgiven, and for what??

The Celtics clearly feel that the Horford signing was a huge success, in any case, and while Aldridge may well be on the move, it won't be for Horford.

You keep only quoting one sentence of my posts. I was more responding to dchuck's assertion (and a lot of people have said this) that it will damage our future chances of signing a big FA. If the Cs trade Horford to a good situation, there will be no ill will (ie, we will be forgiven).

Aha, thank you for clarifying. 

But barring injury or other unforeseen events, it is extremely unlikely that Horford is traded. He's got the precise skillset to make the Celtics' offense go, and that will only magnify as a wing who can create off the dribble emerges.