Author Topic: Theoretically how much could we save by trading Horford somewhere  (Read 2066 times)

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm not saying we should or anything, I just would like to know what are some options for dumping at least say 10-15 million dollars off a salary. He makes 27 million can we trade him somewhere for 16 millionaire incoming salary if the other teams under the cap.

Re: Theoretically how much could we save by trading Horford somewhere
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 12:14:02 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Here is a scenario that saves us 6 million dollars.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 12:20:32 AM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
Not sure how much we could save.  But I know how much we'll lose....

All credibility with future potential free agents.  It's been tough enough to get bigger FA to consider us, what kind of message would we send by shipping out our biggest true FA signing one year into their deal?

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 12:20:41 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Here is a scenario that saves us 6 million dollars.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

I think you forgot to "save trade" on the, well, trade machine, but at any rate, we should have moved him last night, or, perhaps, never signed him to such a ridiculous contract in the first place.  Yeah...

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 12:24:14 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I doubt we could move him. And he's probably more valuable to us than anyone else.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 12:41:27 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Can't ship out Horford because it sends a bad message to future FAs who'd take a look at Boston.

Horford got us there with his max money lol. But I suppose he's been playing up to his contract when it mattered most AKA the postseason.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 01:38:05 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
If the intention was to trade him in the second year, it was p dumb to sign him to a max in the first place.

I can see the motivation of saving salary cap, but this is the wrong way to do it.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 02:46:13 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Theoretically you can save his entire salary.

Otherwise it's his salary minus the salary coming back

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

I'm not saying we should or anything, I just would like to know what are some options for dumping at least say 10-15 million dollars off a salary. He makes 27 million can we trade him somewhere for 16 millionaire incoming salary if the other teams under the cap.

I think that it's a useful question, as Boston enters the hardest part of the cycle: going from being a playoff team to being a contender. There are just a lot more moving parts to get working together.

But the chance is small that they'll trade Horford during his present contract.  They got him because of how they want to play, because he complements just about anyone you put him on the floor with, and because of his leadership.

That last part is critical as you bring along young players.

His game should age well, and he has continued to develop (now with two solid seasons of shooting 3's, for example).

In any case, with so much uncertainty about the bigs' contracts, trading him right now is inconceivable.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 11:42:52 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

All credibility with future potential free agents.  It's been tough enough to get bigger FA to consider us, what kind of message would we send by shipping out our biggest true FA signing one year into their deal?

Not saying I totally disagree, but it won't really be relevant if we are bringing in Hayward and George on multi-year contracts. Not only would we be contenders for years, but we wouldn't be able to sign any major free agents for years.

Besides, is Atlanta taking a gigantic PR hit due to trading Howard after one year? I think it is a little overstated.

Regardless, it doesn't seem sustainable to keep IT AND Horford around for the long-haul if PG/Hayward both come here - the salary cap would just be ridiculous.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 11:48:52 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Besides, is Atlanta taking a gigantic PR hit due to trading Howard after one year? I think it is a little overstated.

Howard has worn out his welcome in his last couple of stops because of chemistry issues as much as anything.  Other free agents are as aware as anyone about this.  On the other hand, Horford has been a model citizen and a team player all the way.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 11:52:50 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Don't want to trade Al Horford.

He's one of the more talented Bigs out there and fits into Brad's schemes well.

As soon as Danny rounds out this roster (reading this, Heyward :)?) then he'll be able to utilize those passing skills of his even more.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Howard has worn out his welcome in his last couple of stops because of chemistry issues as much as anything.  Other free agents are as aware as anyone about this.  On the other hand, Horford has been a model citizen and a team player all the way.

This wasn't some huge secret; they probably shouldn't have signed him to such a large contract - it's still on them.

I think all would be forgiven if Horford went to a winning situation. If we dealt him to San Antonio for Aldridge, it would save us around $6.3M and he is only signed for one more year after this one (player option). Not the best example (not really a fan, at all), just trying to show that there is a way for this to work. You could also do a deal for a player like Steven Adams, but he is owed an awful lot of money over the next four years and I am not sure he really moves the needle.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 12:14:01 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

I think all would be forgiven if Horford went to a winning situation.

Who needs to be forgiven, and for what??

The Celtics clearly feel that the Horford signing was a huge success, in any case, and while Aldridge may well be on the move, it won't be for Horford.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 12:20:42 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Al Horford's contract is not ideal for someone with his usage%. Hard to move. It was worth signing him if it meant Durant was right behind but I think his contract will ultimately mess up the C's until he's gone. Ties up too much money to be a 3rd option on the team.