Author Topic: New Report: Why George would take 3 year extension with C's  (Read 9593 times)

Re: New Report: why George would take 3 year extension with c's
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 11:50:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
so confirmed George will sign extension if we can grab Hayward? July 1st cannot come quick enough!

No, we cannot get Hayward and extend George.  There is not enough money.  It's one or the other (or neither.)

Re: New Report: Why George would take 3 year extension with C's
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 11:50:17 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
so confirmed George will sign extension if we can grab Hayward? July 1st cannot come quick enough!

WOW.

Core of

IT
Brown
Hayward
George
Horford
Smart
Zicic
Tatum or LA pick(depending on which one we send)
Brk 18

Yes please
That core won't work with the cap, not even close.

And, imo, it would be nuts to give Indy an asset like Tatum for PG when LA has almost nothing with which to counter whatever we offer.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 11:51:46 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
This team simply wouldn't be sustainable... by next season we'd run into hard cap issues with IT's new contract. Not to mention the extent to which we would have to gut our depth... who plays backup pg? We'd still be undersized in our front court and throttle our possibility of creating a dynasty.

Though it may sound enticing to have all these all stars, we have to draft some of our stars and grow organically through drafting if our future is also a factor. If we're just in win now mode then by all means.

I would simply make a free agent play and look towards development of our young players

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 11:53:36 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

No, we cannot get Hayward and extend George.  There is not enough money.  It's one or the other (or neither.)

Yeah I've been looking at our cap, and what would be the necessary adjustments, but we're like 5-7 million off base if I'm correct? So it'll be tough to match salaries... What do you suggest or recommend the Celtics brass do in terms of Bradley/Crowder? Both of them most likely be on their way out, but what do you personally think is the smart and best intuitive measures to take?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 11:55:14 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

WOW.

Core of

IT
Brown
Hayward
George
Horford
Smart
Zicic
Brk 18

Yes please

And, imo, it would be nuts to give Indy an asset like Tatum for PG when LA has almost nothing with which to counter whatever we offer.

They still have Ingram to offer , so I may take one of Jaylen/tatum or LA pick.

We can always let IT walk, as we have Smart as a restricted free agents, and now 2 all star /all NBA players to run the offense through as well as Horford.

Plus our role players would mostly be on rookie contracts and vet min ring chasers.....

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 11:58:19 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't know if its just me. But I would be tickled pink, if the Lakers gave up Russell, and ended up not being able to trade for George, and once again... Skipped out on FA for this year.  :police: :angel:
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 12:03:53 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

WOW.

Core of

IT
Brown
Hayward
George
Horford
Smart
Zicic
Brk 18

Yes please

They still have Ingram to offer , so I may take one of Jaylen/tatum or LA pick.

We can always let IT walk, as we have Smart as a restricted free agents, and now 2 all star /all NBA players to run the offense through as well as Horford.

Plus our role players would mostly be on rookie contracts and vet min ring chasers.....
Maybe you're right, but I don't see letting IT walk as realistic.

Even putting rookie contracts and cheap vets around 4 max players is an untenable luxury tax situation. It will be interesting to see what GSW does with their cap, because they can't afford it either after this coming season.

It seems most of this is just message board fantasy and that we'll get one of PG/GH but not both. Unless his injury is a long-term issue, I can't envision a scenario where we don't resign IT.

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 12:11:08 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I say find a way to move Horford if it means brining in PG and Hayward.

Do what the Lakers did and attach Horford to a high draft pick to entice a team to take that salary.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 12:28:06 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If we have george and Hayward,  do we still have our mle?

Just hoping we can sign a title chasing big on the cheap.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 01:52:45 AM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
It makes a lot of sense for George both financially and in terms of competing for a title. LA hurt their chances by not trading for him, because they limit the amount of money they can give him long term.

And they dumped D'Angelo Russell. And we have their top 2-5 protected pick.

Oh my gawd. If PG13 and Gordon Hayward arrive in green...we may have just relived 2007 in summer 2017.
I strongly disagree this is 2007 all over again. The Celtics do not get a Kevin Garnett here. IT, George. And Hayward are all about top 15-20 players. Sure IT can be great, but his size is a huge limitation.
KG was a top 5 player, Pierce was capable of being the best player on the court any night, and Ray spaced the court and made teams pay.
Hayward and George do not change the power dynamics of the NBA like KG and Ray did.
A question. If the Celtics get both of these guys, who are the bigs?

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2017, 01:57:44 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Yeah, we don't have the money to both sign Heyward to the max and renegotiate Paul George. To tear up and replace his contract with we would need to have space under the cap, but if we sign Heyward to the max that would be virtually impossible. What we could do is sign Heyward, trade for George using a combination of Crowder/Bradleys contracts and picks. The best extension we could offer is the 8% raise per year off his 19 million salary, which doesn't make any financial sense for him. We would have to wait untill his contract expires to extend him at the 30% max, which obviously is a risk.

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2017, 01:59:36 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
In order to make it work we'd have to trade Jae, Marcus, and Avery plus have to stash Yabusele.

We would then have 1 proven big man (Al Horford).

Isiaih Thomas
Gordon Hayward
Paul George
Al Horford
Ante Zizic

Terry Rozier
Jaylen Brown
Jayson Tatum

Sign a couple of vet minimums and rookies and our depth wouldn't be totally awful:

Jodie Meeks
Terrence Jones
Jared Sullinger
Semi Ojele
Daniel Theis

Then next summer we would pretty much have to let IT walk if he gets the max.

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2017, 02:01:33 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
It makes a lot of sense for George both financially and in terms of competing for a title. LA hurt their chances by not trading for him, because they limit the amount of money they can give him long term.

Oh my gawd. If PG13 and Gordon Hayward arrive in green...we may have just relived 2007 in summer 2017.
I strongly disagree this is 2007 all over again. The Celtics do not get a Kevin Garnett here. IT, George. And Hayward are all about top 15-20 players. Sure IT can be great, but his size is a huge limitation.
KG was a top 5 player, Pierce was capable of being the best player on the court any night, and Ray spaced the court and made teams pay.
Hayward and George do not change the power dynamics of the NBA like KG and Ray did.

Paul George was a legit MVP candidate only 3 years ago.

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2017, 02:06:01 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

You're not giving enough credit to the strength of Brad Stevens and a team of:

IT
Hayward
George
Crowder
Horford

with Smart
Brown
Vets off the bench.

That's a team with 3 top 20 players + Al Horford and a top 3 coach.

Certainly has the chance to make the finals and matches up extremely well vs the Cavs and Warriors.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 02:14:30 AM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106

Paul George was a legit MVP candidate only 3 years ago.
And I use to be thin. Point is, George and Hayward do not get the Celtics over Golden State. If they both sign long term contracts, the Celtics are in the same position as the Cavs without having LeBron. IT prolly leaves after next season and the Celtics are left with George,Hayward, and Horford taking 85% of the cap.