Poll

How many MPGs does Tatum get this year

12 (25.5%)
20 (42.6%)
10 (21.3%)
4 (8.5%)
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Poll: Tatum's minutes this year  (Read 1149 times)

Poll: Tatum's minutes this year
« on: June 23, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

For context the super Raw and talented #3 pick Jaylen got 17.2 mpg last year.

The defensive minded Smart got 27 mpg his rookie year.

Re: Poll: Tatum's minutes this year
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 07:43:25 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Depends on FA and trades. Hayward and/or Paul George would change things dramatically.

As the roster stands today, I think Tatum gets around 25mpg.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 07:58:53 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Depends on FA and trades. Hayward and/or Paul George would change things dramatically.

As the roster stands today, I think Tatum gets around 25mpg.
This, but I assume no other big moves and went with 20, which is more than Jaylen due to his superior shooting.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:05:37 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I said 16 CBS has a short leash with rookies Smart played more on a lesser team. C's don't want to lose games because of rookie errors. He's going to have to go through the growing pains, learn the system and gain confidence. Should be fun to watch I have high hopes for Tatum.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
He starts with 14 a game, learns to play NBA defense at least adequately, becomes our number 1 option for our bench, and ends up logging 28 minutes a game while steadily improving.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 10:38:39 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

I picked 16. He's a rookie on a deep team - in particular, he'll be competing with Crowder and Brown for minutes. Maybe even Jerebko, if they re-sign him.

One consequence of getting versatile players is that the minutes distribution ripples: more playing time for swings affects playing time for wings and bigs. And less time for wings means... less for ballhandlers... I think that that means that Rozier is the most vulnerable player on the roster.

Let's assume for a moment that Brad's claim to see four positions is what he really thinks (!).  Of the four, which is weakest, as the roster is now constituted? Swing, clearly. 

What swings are now on the roster? Crowder, though at 6'6" he's hardly ideal. Jerebko, I suppose, though he struggles to keep up with faster players, and the experiment with him as the third largest player in a lineup is long behind us.

Is Jaylen a swing?  Apparently not.  He was always in lineups with either Jerebko or Crowder, or both, with him taking the smaller player. Especially deficient for him is defensive rebounding, something you'd like to see in a swing.

Solution? Someone a lot like Jayson Tatum.

So even though I voted for 16 minutes, I can see an opportunity for him to carve out an essential niche for himself, despite the fact that he's a rookie, and play more than that.

Not incidentally:  the lack of depth at swing is yet another argument to retain Crowder.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:37:32 AM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

Smart's minutes were that high because it was early on in the rebuild. Jaylen didn't have that luxury to learn through mistakes.

Tatum's minutes are going to come down to how quickly he learns team defense just like Jaylen. Depending what this roster looks like on opening day I can see him earning more minutes because of his ability to create.

I went with 16 because of the rumors of more AllStar level swings coming in but if this roster looks pretty much the same come Oct I'm guessing 20
ok fine

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If he's any bit the NBA-ready scorer everyone makes him out to be, he will get plenty of run on the second unit. It's hard to create consistent offense when IT sits, so even if we bring in more wings, the bench will need a scorer, especially if it's Smart, Brown, Zizic around him.

I'll go with 20mpg.
CELTICS 2024