Author Topic: Suns are the reason Jackson wouldn't work out for C's? ESPN  (Read 5618 times)

Re: Suns are the reason Jackson wouldn't work out for C's? ESPN
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 12:34:41 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Is the NBA really this naive that they are having the inmates run the asylum?

The draft ensures that these college players are not free agents. Once you declare for the draft you are subject to the draft rules. You are not a free agent to do as you wish. So here is what the silly league should have had in place.

Each draft eligible player will workout for the teams in the same order that the draft is structured. If you are Josh Jackson, you do not get to work out for #4 if you have not submitted to a work out demanded by #3.

That will solve this problem in a hurry.
Wouldn't solve anything. Teams can trade picks at any time. It would just make thing a scheduling nightmare for some players.

Players are no more inmates than GMs are. I don't see why Jackson should bother to schedule a workout with an employer he isn't interested in. The Celtics had all the power. They could still draft him and he would have no choice but to play for them.

Being in Boston would really hurt his early career due to the less prominent role he would have here. That means lost accolades and lost endorsements. Maybe he doesn't want to end up behind the SF we are trying to acquire and Brown (and Jae if he is still around). Maybe he doesn't want to be trade bait, just an "asset."

He was not a free agent..... the draft means nothing if a player can pick to work out for subordinate teams over preferred teams.

Re: Sun's may have been involved in shady tactics with Jackson
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2017, 12:35:05 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
So, where are the shady tactics?

https://youtu.be/QOsvoAFGXLI

We played between the rules I guess. I mean I just don't like this at all I mean I'm still glad we got Tatum but I don't know what this guy's trying to start a beef with Ange for but I'm not happy.

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 12:39:22 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Basically this just comes down to money. Players are thinking about their second contracts and getting Max dollars or as close to it as they can by the time they get there.

In Phoenix he will be playing 35 minutes per game quickly in his career, where in Boston there are a lot of roadblocks to getting those types of minutes with minutes comes production with production comes money.

With team options and the qualifying offer, rookie contracts are FIVE YEARS LONG.  The idea that playing more minutes for a garbage team as a rookie will impact the deal you sign three or four years down the road is ludicrous.  I mean, look at what happens.  Who are teams throwing the most money at?  Starters on 20 win teams or bench players on playoff teams?  Bismack Biyombo and Evan Turner say "Hi!"

Mike

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 06:38:15 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Draft promise and a guarantee to start. I mean, the way things went down with the trip to Sacramento - Jackson and Armstrong were obviously avoiding the Cs like the plague. They wouldn't even meet to talk.
That's probably why we should have picked him. Now all the agents will pull this. On the other hand I don't want a primadona on the team. Just need to point out how much more money Tatum is making repeatedly.

I was a fan...but Jackson comes off as an arrogant, son of a gun.   

Listen to 1 min and 22 sec .  Guys who are competitive/work had, don't talk like this...   Glad we passed on him.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLrgYwf8q_I
Yeah it really comes a long way for triboy to reach that point, glad you figure it out 8)

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2017, 07:44:19 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Is the NBA really this naive that they are having the inmates run the asylum?

The draft ensures that these college players are not free agents. Once you declare for the draft you are subject to the draft rules. You are not a free agent to do as you wish. So here is what the silly league should have had in place.

Each draft eligible player will workout for the teams in the same order that the draft is structured. If you are Josh Jackson, you do not get to work out for #4 if you have not submitted to a work out demanded by #3.

That will solve this problem in a hurry.
Wouldn't solve anything. Teams can trade picks at any time. It would just make thing a scheduling nightmare for some players.

Players are no more inmates than GMs are. I don't see why Jackson should bother to schedule a workout with an employer he isn't interested in. The Celtics had all the power. They could still draft him and he would have no choice but to play for them.

Being in Boston would really hurt his early career due to the less prominent role he would have here. That means lost accolades and lost endorsements. Maybe he doesn't want to end up behind the SF we are trying to acquire and Brown (and Jae if he is still around). Maybe he doesn't want to be trade bait, just an "asset."

He was not a free agent..... the draft means nothing if a player can pick to work out for subordinate teams over preferred teams.
Clearly we weren't Jackson's preferred team.  I can understand that considering the player depth on the team, talk of trading the pick and talk of signing Hayward.  He can start with the Suns right away. 

Players aren't required to do workouts, interviews, etc.  They don't have to turn over medical information.  It isn't common but it happens.  Porzingis wouldn't work out for the Sixers because he wanted to play in New York.  He may be regretting that choice now. 

The only issue I have is canceling the workout when Ainge/Stevens were in transit.  Glad it is being publicized.  The agent's reputation should take a hit.  As for Jackson, the first time we play the Suns I'd encourage our players to give him a welcome to the NBA 30+ point beatdown. 

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 09:13:40 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Jackson will be great.  He would have started for us.

Can't predict how rookies will do but I know he would not have started this year for us, that I am sure of.

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2017, 11:02:48 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
League probably wont investigate. Suns are trash

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Honestly, I think McDonough is trying to make it seem like he achieved something by drafting Jackson, when in reality Jackson naturally fell to #4.

He needs to show something after all the bad moves he's made in Phoenix, so he's playing this up to be a little more than it really is.

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 11:18:01 AM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 97
We can thank the Suns for giving us IT.  Thank you