Author Topic: Suns are the reason Jackson wouldn't work out for C's? ESPN  (Read 5590 times)

Sun's may have been involved in shady tactics with Jackson
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 10:32:18 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
You guys know my connection to the Boston Celtics and the respect I have for Danny Ainge, but you guys also know how competitive I am and it is a competition," Suns general manager Ryan McDonough said Friday without elaborating much more. "The process is what it is and we played by the rules, I guess. I'm just thrilled Josh Jackson is sitting next to me and is a member of the Phoenix Suns."

The Celtics were interested enough in Jackson that they were scheduled to see him work out earlier this week in Sacramento. While Ainge, the GM, coach Brad Stevens and assistant GM Mike Zarren were in the air, Jackson had a change of heart and cancelled the workout.

It did not go over well with Ainge, who said he had to get up at 4 a.m. to catch the flight, but added it had nothing to do with drafting Tatum over Jackson on Thursday night.

"There was something that he didn't want to play for the Celtics," he said. "In spite of that, we watched Josh for two years and we're fans. He's a terrific kid and good player. So we tried not to overreact to those kinds of things and make a big deal of it. Agents and players have all sorts of motivations to get to certain places."

Re: Sun's may have been involved in shady tactics with Jackson
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 10:37:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
So, where are the shady tactics?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Suns are the reason Jackson wouldn't work out for C's? ESPN
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 10:38:04 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Is the NBA really this naive that they are having the inmates run the asylum?

The draft ensures that these college players are not free agents. Once you declare for the draft you are subject to the draft rules. You are not a free agent to do as you wish. So here is what the silly league should have had in place.

Each draft eligible player will workout for the teams in the same order that the draft is structured. If you are Josh Jackson, you do not get to work out for #4 if you have not submitted to a work out demanded by #3.

That will solve this problem in a hurry.

Re: Sun's may have been involved in shady tactics with Jackson
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
It was mainly BJ Armstrong being bitter about his other client Javale McGee a few years back. Something happened and BJ steered Jackson away from the Celtics.

It happens and agents will do it from time to time.

It's no big deal, it will hurt his client and I believe we got the right guy.

Tatum is going to light up summer league. He will be unstoppable when the pro game opens up.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 10:46:30 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Draft promise and a guarantee to start. I mean, the way things went down with the trip to Sacramento - Jackson and Armstrong were obviously avoiding the Cs like the plague. They wouldn't even meet to talk.
That's probably why we should have picked him. Now all the agents will pull this. On the other hand I don't want a primadona on the team. Just need to point out how much more money Tatum is making repeatedly.

I was a fan...but Jackson comes off as an arrogant, son of a gun.   

Listen to 1 min and 22 sec .  Guys who are competitive/work had, don't talk like this...   Glad we passed on him.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLrgYwf8q_I

You were all over Jackson two days ago, and if he said the exact same thing after being drafted by the Cs you'd be gushing over his "competitive spirit" and "KG like attitude" and so on.

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 10:59:28 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I could be wrong, but wouldn't Jackson have stood to gain over $500k every year by having Boston draft him vs. Phoenix?

Both players have their strengths and weaknesses, but I'd rate them about equal as prospects.

Maybe JJ just liked Phoenix and wanted to live there. Because it's going to take a miracle for them to be truly competitive in the next 3 or 4 years.

I'm still chaffed about trading Fultz, but the good thing about Tatum is he embraced the organization all along. Obviously, every player doesn't do that.

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 11:03:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Draft promise and a guarantee to start. I mean, the way things went down with the trip to Sacramento - Jackson and Armstrong were obviously avoiding the Cs like the plague. They wouldn't even meet to talk.
That's probably why we should have picked him. Now all the agents will pull this. On the other hand I don't want a primadona on the team. Just need to point out how much more money Tatum is making repeatedly.

I was a fan...but Jackson comes off as an arrogant, son of a gun.   

Listen to 1 min and 22 sec .  Guys who are competitive/work had, don't talk like this...   Glad we passed on him.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLrgYwf8q_I

You were all over Jackson two days ago, and if he said the exact same thing after being drafted by the Cs you'd be gushing over his "competitive spirit" and "KG like attitude" and so on.

Wrong

I dont care about players or people who talk this way

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 11:06:32 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Like I said three days ago..Jackson is a turd off the court. The company he keeps....his attitude...his track record.

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 11:09:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Like I said three days ago..Jackson is a turd off the court. The company he keeps....his attitude...his track record.

you are right...  he is still immature ,  but not a good start

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 11:35:56 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Is the NBA really this naive that they are having the inmates run the asylum?

The draft ensures that these college players are not free agents. Once you declare for the draft you are subject to the draft rules. You are not a free agent to do as you wish. So here is what the silly league should have had in place.

Each draft eligible player will workout for the teams in the same order that the draft is structured. If you are Josh Jackson, you do not get to work out for #4 if you have not submitted to a work out demanded by #3.

That will solve this problem in a hurry.
Wouldn't solve anything. Teams can trade picks at any time. It would just make thing a scheduling nightmare for some players.

Players are no more inmates than GMs are. I don't see why Jackson should bother to schedule a workout with an employer he isn't interested in. The Celtics had all the power. They could still draft him and he would have no choice but to play for them.

Being in Boston would really hurt his early career due to the less prominent role he would have here. That means lost accolades and lost endorsements. Maybe he doesn't want to end up behind the SF we are trying to acquire and Brown (and Jae if he is still around). Maybe he doesn't want to be trade bait, just an "asset."

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 11:53:09 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Players should always try to do what is in their best interests. MCW got rookie of the year because he was on a bad team Put him on a good team as a rookie and his name never blows up.

Worked out great for MCW.

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2017, 12:00:38 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Basically this just comes down to money. Players are thinking about their second contracts and getting Max dollars or as close to it as they can by the time they get there.

In Phoenix he will be playing 35 minutes per game quickly in his career, where in Boston there are a lot of roadblocks to getting those types of minutes with minutes comes production with production comes money.

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2017, 12:03:52 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

.https://youtu.be/QOsvoAFGXLI

Here is the video he says something about him BJ and Josh forming a plan.

I mean I think this is really stupid, I hope he gets in trouble for this. What does he have to gain by telling everybody?

Is he trying to sound like a hot shot GM that outsmarted Ange?

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2017, 12:11:55 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
We picked the right guy.  Jj will get shut down.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 12:17:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

.https://youtu.be/QOsvoAFGXLI

Here is the video he says something about him BJ and Josh forming a plan.

I mean I think this is really stupid, I hope he gets in trouble for this. What does he have to gain by telling everybody?

Is he trying to sound like a hot shot GM that outsmarted Ange?

maybe to try to cover for Jackson and Agent

Ainge did blast them for what they did