Author Topic: Magic in perfect position to stick it to us yet again....  (Read 4443 times)

Re: Magic in perfect position to stick it to us yet again....
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 11:30:25 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Crowder, AB, and...the LAL/Sac pick will likely need to be involved, but it's not the end of the world. If Danny really was ready to take Tatum at #1, then that pick is just extra. I realize that it is much more than that to all of us now, but I would take that chance on George. Along with signing Hayward, we will be looking amazing for a very long time if George re-signs. Sometimes you just need to take chances.

Yeah, they have to unload Bradley and Crowder to get George. That includes getting rid of Zeller by 7/2, D. Jackson, Mickey. Olynyk, AJ, Jerebko are off the books.

It's a tough climb, but the other elite teams have done it to bunch stars. You put a few role players and rookies around IT, Horford,George and Hayward, and you have a club that maybe gets to the next level.  That would include Tatum, Brown, Smart, Rozier.

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 11:34:27 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1556
PG13 is a liar and cheater. We can NOT take his word on anything.

Ask Doc Rivers daughter how trustworthy he is....

hmmmnnnnn tell me more
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 10:15:50 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
This is why sign and trades exist...
I don't understand this comment.

He's saying we will sign PG to an extension. It will be part of the agreement if we trade for him.
Won't be any rentals.

Even if there is a one year rental, we can still offer him $45 million more than the Lakers because we hold Bird rights.

Magic isn't sticking anything to us.
Just because he was a good player doesn't mean he's a good GM.
It's probably a good thing for the Celtics that he's in charge of the Lakers, although they probably brought in Pelinka to help Magic screw up as little as possible.

TP for understanding why this has to be a sign and trade deal

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

He's saying we will sign PG to an extension. It will be part of the agreement if we trade for him.
Won't be any rentals.

Even if there is a one year rental, we can still offer him $45 million more than the Lakers because we hold Bird rights.

It's probably a good thing for the Celtics that he's in charge of the Lakers, although they probably brought in Pelinka to help Magic screw up as little as possible.

That would be an extend-and-trade, not a sign-and-trade (and no, that's not just semantics, they are governed by totally different rules and restrictions). But an extend and trades makes absolutely no sense for George. He'd be leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table.

If George gets traded anywhere this offseason, he will either have his contract renegotiated  (different than an extension) or become a free agent next year. There's no way he agrees to an extend-and-trade deal (there's a slim chance he agrees to pick up his option for next year, but I wouldn't count on it)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2017, 10:29:13 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Imagine we give up some important assets, or any valuable assets for that matter, for PG13, only to see him leave us and sign with the Lakers.  I can almost already see that grin on his face as he realizes he got us yet again. 

I really hope any PG13 pursuit doesn't involve any lottery picks.  It is such a huge gamble to mortgage our future for a one year rental hoping we can dissuade him from going to Tinseltown.  Chicago or New York?  Fine.  Golden State or Miami? Whatever.  But LA?  Wow, what a kick in the bean bags that would be.  ESPECIALLY, with Magic at the helm. 

Think about it.  He can ruin our pick next season (by winning more games).  Then just a few days later, sitting at a press conference, grinning ear to ear because he just signed PG13 AND knowing he stuck it to us.  2018 version of the baby hook.

A trade for George will almost certainly include Bradley, and probably Crowder. I doubt any major picks would need to be added. Bradley will be in his contract year next year, Crowder has a couple of years left. Both are cheap and attractive for Pacers. Trading them will ensure the Celtics can stay under the cap with Hayward (signed first) and George.  When Bradley's contract is up next year, he can always re-sign in Boston as a FA if George signs with LA. The Pacers wind up with a couple of cheap Crowder years plus a cheap year of Bradley and the option to re-sign him.

Hayward and George will change the character of the Celtics, and make them a much more offensively oriented team. An improved team, since the coach will continue to stress defense.

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 10:41:15 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

Won't be any rentals.

That would be an extend-and-trade, not a sign-and-trade (and no, that's not just semantics, they are governed by totally different rules and restrictions). But an extend and trades makes absolutely no sense for George. He'd be leaving tens of millions of dollars on the table.

If George gets traded anywhere this offseason, he will either have his contract renegotiated  (different than an extension) or become a free agent next year. There's no way he agrees to an extend-and-trade deal (there's a slim chance he agrees to pick up his option for next year, but I wouldn't count on it)
thanks for the explanation and showing the differences. i learned from this post. tp for you.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva