Author Topic: Magic in perfect position to stick it to us yet again....  (Read 4415 times)

Re: Magic in perfect position to stick it to us yet again....
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
This is why sign and trades exist...
I don't understand this comment.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 08:27:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
It goes both ways.

Sure if we trade for PG and then he bolts and in the meantime they win enough to roll out pick over to 2019, then they really got us didn't they?

But what if we trade for george and he DOES resign with us. Now we've torn apart their plans a b and c. What if we drive up the price for george forcing them to basically punt the off season so they can afford his huge deal next summer and as a result they suck and have to watch us take Mo Bamba or Ayton or Doncic with THEIR pick.

That would be PRICELESS.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 08:59:36 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
It will be Rob Pelinka who sticks us not Magic.   Magic is just there as the former NBA player figurehead of the franchise.   Rob Pelinks is the smart guy GM.   You can bet there are probably provisions in place after they saw Magic coach  and his abysmal record that they put Rob in charge.

Rob more than likely is the one "running the show".  However, Magic is the one luring FAs and will make LA "sexy" again.  Remember, for the past few years no one wanted to go there.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 09:10:24 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I originally thought the title refered to Orlando Magic and wondered when did they ever "stick it" to us...

Regarding Jonhson, Magic the player =/= Magic the GM.

LAL has always been a terrific franchise, but as far as their FO is concerned they haven't achieved much the last couple of years, nor do I think Magic is the person to worry about.

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 09:11:58 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
PG13 is a liar and cheater. We can NOT take his word on anything.

Ask Doc Rivers daughter how trustworthy he is....
Whoa what happened with Docs daughter and PG?
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 09:15:12 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This is why sign and trades exist...
I don't understand this comment.

He's saying we will sign PG to an extension. It will be part of the agreement if we trade for him.
Won't be any rentals.

Even if there is a one year rental, we can still offer him $45 million more than the Lakers because we hold Bird rights.

Magic isn't sticking anything to us.
Just because he was a good player doesn't mean he's a good GM.
It's probably a good thing for the Celtics that he's in charge of the Lakers, although they probably brought in Pelinka to help Magic screw up as little as possible.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 10:31:45 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
July 1st, 12:01am...Gordon Hayward agrees to terms with Boston.

Dominoes will fall....PG13 to follow with 3 year extension.

Magic can suck it.

YES, the best case scenario.

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 10:37:45 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I do have one question about PG13 Bird Rights.

When do the rights kick in? Do we have his Bird Rights if we trade for him before his current contract is up? Do we have to trade before the season to gain his Bird Rights?

If we gain his Bird Rights and can pay him more than the Lakers AND we're winning, he'd never leave and I bet that's what Ainge is hoping for if he goes through with a deal.

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 10:41:51 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

When do the rights kick in? Do we have his Bird Rights if we trade for him before his current contract is up? Do we have to trade before the season to gain his Bird Rights?

If we gain his Bird Rights and can pay him more than the Lakers AND we're winning, he'd never leave and I bet that's what Ainge is hoping for if he goes through with a deal.

I think they are in place.
But, contract renegotiations can't occur between may 1st and June 30th, so if we are extending PG it wont be till July 1st.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 10:42:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Imagine we give up some important assets, or any valuable assets for that matter, for PG13, only to see him leave us and sign with the Lakers.  I can almost already see that grin on his face as he realizes he got us yet again. 

I really hope any PG13 pursuit doesn't involve any lottery picks.  It is such a huge gamble to mortgage our future for a one year rental hoping we can dissuade him from going to Tinseltown.  Chicago or New York?  Fine.  Golden State or Miami? Whatever.  But LA?  Wow, what a kick in the bean bags that would be.  ESPECIALLY, with Magic at the helm. 

Think about it.  He can ruin our pick next season (by winning more games).  Then just a few days later, sitting at a press conference, grinning ear to ear because he just signed PG13 AND knowing he stuck it to us.  2018 version of the baby hook.
TP and agree
1)Brooke Lopez alone is a huge get for ANY team.
2) They will not be sitting guys like they so publicly did last year, which will add more wins....there should be a rule or something to penalize them for sitting their new $ 33million FA's for no reason except to lose. They end up with the 2nd pick again and literally sit Deng and Mozgov, btoh players laugh in the press about it bc they are not hurt and getting paid tons of money.
One things he did do is get Brooke Lopez off the Nets though. Lopez is a very rare CENTER that gave the Nets an advantage over almost every team...especially in the East. He stretched the floor and opened everything up. Even if D. Russell averages 20+ per game he still won't have anywhere near the effect that Lopez had.

If Lopez gets hurt for the entire season then the LAL pick could be in play...especially if a rookie struggles for them.
And just what was that affect lopez had on the nets, you know, the worst team in the entire NBA?

With all due respect, the nets stunk it up.  Lopez did not take that team even to the level of poor. They were the worst.

Lopez will not transform the lakers.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 10:42:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

If you trade for a player you get Bird rights. If you sign him in free agency you do not.

This is why PG wants to get traded to LA rather than signed as a FA there. If traded, then LA has Bird rights and can offer a much bigger contract.  Similarly if we trade for him, we'd have an edge vs. LA when he comes up for free agency.

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 10:43:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
magic run his mouth alot about former frt office and coaches .  helped get them fired IMO.

He is desperate to make the Lakers matter once again.  much by his own doing.

Without Lebron and more important in the near future , George ,   he can't  easily get a foothold into becoming realivant in the West .....while Jerry West. and his GS Warriors rule the roost .

Magic maybe viewed as a failure , after all the big talk, if Lakers are not returned to the top 1-2 in the West in a few short years.  He simply can' build a team to compete without PG and then Lebron.

IMO Lebron has one less place to run to, if Celtics take George . 

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 10:49:03 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Celtics Hub has a really good article on this, and the repercussions.

Trading for George, having him agree to stay, signing Hayward, and maxing IT next offseason is a virtual impossibility, given the luxury tax. Adding both these guys and resigning IT isn't going to happen.

The larger problem would be the luxury tax. In 2018 the team would want to re-sign Isaiah Thomas and Paul George, meaning that just the foursome of those two plus Hayward and Al Horford would have them around the tax line. Filling out the rest of the roster would be prohibitively expensive; potentially reaching $100M just in tax payments. The team could move on from Thomas, but I don’t know if anyone is ready to go quite that “positionless” yet. The long-term tax implications look so dire that I would say this is an either-or decision between George and a max free agent, or a three-from-four from George, a max free agent, Thomas, and Horford.
http://www.celticshub.com/2017/06/23/paul-george-gordon-hayward-next-steps/

Adam Kaufman mentioned that he isn't convinced the Celtics will max IT. 

But doing what the win-now at all costs crowd wants to do, sign both these guys, is almost certain not to happen.

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 11:13:29 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Trading for George, having him agree to stay, signing Hayward, and maxing IT next offseason is a virtual impossibility, given the luxury tax. Adding both these guys and resigning IT isn't going to happen.

The larger problem would be the luxury tax. In 2018 the team would want to re-sign Isaiah Thomas and Paul George, meaning that just the foursome of those two plus Hayward and Al Horford would have them around the tax line. Filling out the rest of the roster would be prohibitively expensive; potentially reaching $100M just in tax payments. The team could move on from Thomas, but I don’t know if anyone is ready to go quite that “positionless” yet. The long-term tax implications look so dire that I would say this is an either-or decision between George and a max free agent, or a three-from-four from George, a max free agent, Thomas, and Horford.

But doing what the win-now at all costs crowd wants to do, sign both these guys, is almost certain not to happen.

I have been thinking about this, too, and the only ideas I can come up with is playing out the year with a big 4 and then letting IT walk or trading IT for a super CHEAP option (rookie PG this year or last year) after acquiring Hayward and George. Perhaps Danny sees Hayward and George as better options than IT moving forward.

We could always move Horford after the season, but I fear what our 'bigs' rotation might look like and we would need a team with cap space and a willingness to send back an asset.

It's a predicament, but hardly a real problem compared to any team not named the Warriors or the Cavs.

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 11:17:57 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

I have been thinking about this, too, and the only ideas I can come up with is playing out the year with a big 4 and then letting IT walk or trading IT for a super CHEAP option (rookie PG this year or last year) after acquiring Hayward and George. Perhaps Danny sees Hayward and George as better options than IT moving forward.

We could always move Horford after the season, but I fear what our 'bigs' rotation might look like and we would need a team with cap space and a willingness to send back an asset.

It's a predicament, but hardly a real problem compared to any team not named the Warriors or the Cavs.
Moving Horford seems unlikely for a # of reasons, not the least of which you mentioned, how would we find a partner to do that?

The realistic move is not resigning IT, or trading him. That also might make the most sense long-term, but would Ainge do that? IT has become such a fan favorite, I just can't see them letting him go. I would agree that PG and GH are better options going forward, but I don't think it will get that far.